• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Hardest Skill To Raise

D

DVDA

Ok, everyone says Poisoning is hard to raise but I had no problem with it, yeah it took a while but it wasnt that painful...

How come no one mentions Ninjitsu?! I am trying to 120.0 this skill (only at 92.5) and I get MAYBE if I am lucky .2 in an hour before I get angry and quit.

So here is my question what skill is the hardest to CAP?

G

Gellor

I'd go with animal taming. I'd be happy if I could get more than my GGS on two chars;)

I just did ninja with no problems to 120. High mana, 110 med, 110 focus, fast weapon with stam to swing at max, high mana/mr/lmc suit, and just DS away on an animal. One DS every 1.5 seconds makes it raise VERY fast.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hands down Taming.

The only other skills I would put as being close are all Trade Skills.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that will vary from person to person, but my nightmare was getting to legendary taming. I'm not sure i'll ever do that again. lol

D

DVDA

LoL, My tamer is 9 years old, he has 120 Animal Lore but only 107.7 Taming. I have gone from 95 to 107.7 just off of GGS as I got sick of taming for no gains.

To Gellor: Yeah I only have 97 int, 100% LMC but I have NO mediation, no focus, no tactics, nothing just a Schimtar with 30% Swing Speed Increase lol

G

guum

Of the ones I've done, taming by a huge margin. I haven't done poisoning, but I have done magery, disco, peace, magery, weaving, necro, etc., as well as all the trade skills except cooking and alchemy. I'd rather do all of those put together to 120 than do taming once.

Laina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hands down legendary taming has been the hardest for me - not sure I'll ever do it again either.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hands down legendary taming has been the hardest for me - not sure I'll ever do it again either.
this.

Poisoning and ninjitsu both have little tricks you can do that are posted within these vary forums to get them up to the necessary numbers. Taming though? In short, no. You just have to tame and tame and tame and tame...until you get bloody sick of it.

D

DVDA

I am waiting to hear ninjitsu tricks, I have tried jeweling myself up to 120, to 100, to 95, and using no jewels, I still have gain about .1 per hour

S

slavoie

First, animal taming.

Second, Discordance.

Third.... Don't know.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I managed 120 ninjitsu easy enough.....

Taming is Very nasty..... as well as begging, lockpicking, tracking... not so fun... I worked begging for 3 years.... hated it.... time consuming... only way I got to GM finally.... SoT's!

Oh Discord stinks!

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hardest overall, definitely taming.

In the past, when one needed many different targets in order to gain, lockpicking was truly terrible. Upper levels still require high difficulty dungeon chests, but before ggs the climb in the upper 90's took ages. I worked the skill daily for hours and sometimes would go for three weeks with no gains. Cartography also used to be rotten - had to buy individual maps from mapmakers and do those over and over and over and find somewhere to discard, and there was a very long (11 second? can't remember now) delay between attempts.
The Satyr's in the Twisted Wield take care of Lock Picking easy enough.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another Vote for Taming. That's a very painful skill to train.

Ninjitsu was a piece of cake.

D

DVDA

Someone has to clue me in on this "Ninjitsu cake" thing, cause I am struggling...what did you guys do?! :p

M

Mayadevi

Taste Id.

Isn't that the one that was broken so that you Couldn't raise it past 75 ?

Did they ever fix that ?

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have to say Taming is by far #1 & Disco #2 in hardest to get to 120. At least to me it was.

M

Mr. Gnome

Animal taming by far... I don't even know of any scripts or macros for it.

in a close second place is Focus.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Animal taming by far... I don't even know of any scripts or macros for it.

in a close second place is Focus.
focus?

you ever hear of a Cloak of Coruption??
put that on, sit at the bank for day, youll be 120.

k, that said ill weigh in on this.
ive GMed (or 120ed) ever skill in game on sonoma (home shard)
then i went and made 21 characters on every norther american shard.
now im overseas working up my 21 toons per shard.

so ive worked ever skill a couple times now (and a couple more.... and a couple more.... and a couple more...)

and the worst skill to raise is tameing.
and that is just cause you have to constantlly get a new critter and the higher ya go in skill the harder the critter you have to tame, unless you GGS but then that isnt activlly training the skill.

all other skills in game have their 'tricks' to do them.
and i think ive about mastered every trick there is.

all the other skills, while they are time consuming, can all be done without moving out of one spot.

so ya, taming is the hardest in my book.

as for ninja.
be sure you have room, stone off skills you dont need for the training.
(keep your fencing and tact of course - or whatever your weapon is, and if you DONT have a weapon skill at least buy up 40 for trianing purposes)
get a 40 LMC suit with 10-15 MR
max out your HCI on it.
max out your med and focus.
you need the mana.
cause if you dont have the mana your not dropping your special and if your not dropping your special your not gaining.
same goes with the HCI, if your not hitting your not gaining.
then....
death strike your critter of choice.

that from like 87 to 120.
if your looking for lower end, 40 to 55 focus attack on critter.
55-87 do shadow jump.

its slower at top end like are skills are, but no where near as painfull as taming.

beggin. go rent 6 NPCs and see ya in 2 days.

hmmm, i better stop before i give out all my secerets!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Definitely Animal Taming.
Ninjitsu is hard to raise, but way more easy then Taming. Ninjitsu is second hardest.
I find Poisoning actually quite easy to raise.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
focus?

you ever hear of a Cloak of Coruption??
put that on, sit at the bank for day, youll be 120.

k, that said ill weigh in on this.
ive GMed (or 120ed) ever skill in game on sonoma (home shard)
then i went and made 21 characters on every norther american shard.
now im overseas working up my 21 toons per shard.

so ive worked ever skill a couple times now (and a couple more.... and a couple more.... and a couple more...)

and the worst skill to raise is tameing.
and that is just cause you have to constantlly get a new critter and the higher ya go in skill the harder the critter you have to tame, unless you GGS but then that isnt activlly training the skill.

all other skills in game have their 'tricks' to do them.
and i think ive about mastered every trick there is.

all the other skills, while they are time consuming, can all be done without moving out of one spot.

so ya, taming is the hardest in my book.

as for ninja.
be sure you have room, stone off skills you dont need for the training.
(keep your fencing and tact of course - or whatever your weapon is, and if you DONT have a weapon skill at least buy up 40 for trianing purposes)
get a 40 LMC suit with 10-15 MR
max out your HCI on it.
max out your med and focus.
you need the mana.
cause if you dont have the mana your not dropping your special and if your not dropping your special your not gaining.
same goes with the HCI, if your not hitting your not gaining.
then....
death strike your critter of choice.

that from like 87 to 120.
if your looking for lower end, 40 to 55 focus attack on critter.
55-87 do shadow jump.

its slower at top end like are skills are, but no where near as painfull as taming.

beggin. go rent 6 NPCs and see ya in 2 days.

hmmm, i better stop before i give out all my secerets!
What Poo said :D

Ok, I recently finished training my ninjitsu to 120. So here's my tips. For more extreme training (in addition to Poo
's tips), stone off all your other skills except the following (get from another char if you need):

120 weapon skill
100 med
100 focus
100 necro (if you are a sammy, you should already have this)
100 SS

Edit: higher med/focus/ss will be better of course. I put 100 since you may not have eaten a scroll from these skills.

Change into Lich form and summon a shadow wisp. The lower your karm, the better the Shadow wisp works reduce your karma all the way down. You can regain karma relatively easily compared to training ninjitsu.

Get enough HPR to offset the Lich HP loss (crimmy, totems, armour etc).

Quit guild and factions. Impt - I could not gain from death strike when my char was in factions. Initially thought it was coz I was bashing my mount, but hunting mobs made no diff. Wasn't in stat-loss either.

Since you are now in lich form and can't ride your mount, it will serve another very nice purpose. Go tram, and bash your mount (that's why you need to quit guild).

Satyr trick doesn't work as well with ninjitsu depending what your skill is at, but you can throw it into the mix as well (if you do this, you need positive karma, which renders the shadow wisp useless).

Hardest skill to raise is still taming. Even with all my powergaming arsenal like herding, savage paint, jewels, satyr, using non-aggro mobs, 2 tamers. You have a skill delay to use the skill, plus there's a long delay between the time you start taming and the server tells you if you have succeeded/failed. And even with herding to stop your target from moving, you can't re-tame the same mob. Gotta find another or kill it to respawn.

S

sayler04

Taming first, definitely. Takes forever.

Fishing is a contender too. Taming took a looooooong time, but fishing took a loooooooong time and was way more boring.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would say Arms lore was the hardest for me. very repetitive and boring. Taming has a trick too it. Ii involves using 2 & 3 tames and appling them to some of the harder critters. Have a couple of guldies or friends tame the animals before you tame for the third or forth taming of the same critter. You will get skill gain.

Joshua Ravenloft

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taming is by far the hardest.

So you could do what I did to get to 120. It can be expensive, but is worth it to save time.

Get your char on your home shard up to as high as possible taming skill, preferably 100. Then if you have old reward collector chars on another shard that still have the +5 stats or skill gift from AOS. They will most likely have the soul frag rewards as well.

Transfer char over to that shard and soul stone the skill over to each of the chars that have the +5 skill gift one at a time until you are 120. I did this with detect hidden and stealth as well which are very boring skills to train.

Of course if you don't have chars on another shard to collect the +5 then it's white wolves once a day for about 2 years for GM to 120 Taming :wall:

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Get enough HPR to offset the Lich HP loss (crimmy, totems, armour etc).

No need. Just being in lich form will not kill you, I'm 100% sure on this. It will take you to either 1hp or 0hp but you will not die unless spawn, a pet or another player hits you.

*EDIT* Taming is the hardest no doubt

Darhon

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Remove trap
2. Lockpicking
3. Taming
4. Fishing

I GMed lockpicking before satyres was added.
Remove traps still in progress.

Phaen Grey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
without using scripts or macros, cartography was the hardest for me to gm, taming the second hardest.

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would say Arms lore was the hardest for me. very repetitive and boring. Taming has a trick too it. Ii involves using 2 & 3 tames and appling them to some of the harder critters. Have a couple of guldies or friends tame the animals before you tame for the third or forth taming of the same critter. You will get skill gain.
Arms Lore? Hmm Iam currently working my BS from 100 to 120.
When I started last week I didnt have any arms lore, bought up to 30 and then I just started raising BS. Iam currently at 106.5 in BS and my Arms Lore has raised to 83.5. I think at the current rate that my Arms Lore will make it to GM before I reach 120 BS.

As for the hardest skill (as I never did taming) was back before GSG and PowerHour when I raised BS to 100. (No scripting)

I sometimes wish they would bring back powerhour :)

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Someone has to clue me in on this "Ninjitsu cake" thing, cause I am struggling...what did you guys do?! :p
Read the warrior's forum. Search the threads. Someone goes into the math of what they did. It is commonsense if you think about it.

You HAVE to have capped LMC, a good MR return, capped weapon skill, HCI so you hit what you're trying to hit (HCI not as important), and have the least amount of skill points on your template so that you gain faster.

Zayin666

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Taming is by far the hardest.

So you could do what I did to get to 120. It can be expensive, but is worth it to save time.

Get your char on your home shard up to as high as possible taming skill, preferably 100. Then if you have old reward collector chars on another shard that still have the +5 stats or skill gift from AOS. They will most likely have the soul frag rewards as well.

Transfer char over to that shard and soul stone the skill over to each of the chars that have the +5 skill gift one at a time until you are 120. I did this with detect hidden and stealth as well which are very boring skills to train.

Of course if you don't have chars on another shard to collect the +5 then it's white wolves once a day for about 2 years for GM to 120 Taming :wall:
Nice idea :) will have to go thru some other servers and see if I have some of those stuffed away... althou I guess you would also need an extra 105, 110, 115 and 120 taming PS, which does make it a bit more expensive :)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No one mentioned Forensic Evaluation?
I find it really hard to raise. Specially since you can only really use it on corpses. And after anyone uses it successfully on that corpse, you have to move on. You can use it on picked boxes but that's not really common to find one. And that's only around 50 skill. From there you have to manage your way to 100 using the very same targets.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for who said forensics: I raised it in less than half day, just try to examine picked red boxes ;)

about ninjitsu: you can have only ninjitsu in your char (without fighting skill) just use a rat. You can hit the rat everytime without hci and without combat skill :p

taming: is boring but will grant you 0.1-0.2 per day if you are lucky at highest level, so probably is the hardest skill

taste id: for sure you can't go further than 75 (tried yesterday) :(

chivalry: you can't fail nothing over 115 so probably only the GGS can raise it...

remove trap: is insane, you need lockpicking and detecting hidded and a treasure chest... cannot be done at home and is very long to do :/

worker skills: just expensive...

poisoning: expensive and with a big delay...

hiding: enough long, reach 100 take some time due to the 10 seconds delay...

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i allways found trap removal to be hard.
but after i did it once or twice i got the hang of it, now i can band that sucker off in like 2 - 3 days.

fishing im not sure why everyone has such a problem with that.
same as most skills you can bang that off in 2 days.

forensics.
you just need one picked lock box to GM it.

like i said, if ya know the tricks you can crack off any skills easy enough.

and the order is important.
trying to do something like ninja first wont work.
like mentioned above ya need to get your termplate right to work it first.
hide, stealth, med ect ect ect ect.
and the suits.
definatlly need the right suits.

but once ya do it a couple times ya realise what ya need for what and you can buy stuff for cheap if ya shop around.

presto bingo your done and onto the next skill.

and who said poisoning was $$ ???

25k nightshade to get to 90 skill (all you need for a mage or fencer)
thats like 75k gold.
thats cheap!!!!!
to GM it sucks.
bust still, with nightshade being so cheap it is definatlly NOT a expensive skill to work.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well, cheap or expensive is relative to who has to do that, surely for a newbie 75k is expensive :p
However the t hunter is the best friend of who need free regs :)

C

Connor_Graham

I'd say Taming is #1 for sure. I willingly paid 60+ mil for SoT's to finish off the last 7.0 points. After that would be Bard skills, then Fishing.

A tip for Ninjitsu- Go to the Weald and follow the Satyr around while you beat on your pet. It makes the last part much easier to gain.

O

Old Man of UO

fishing im not sure why everyone has such a problem with that.
same as most skills you can bang that off in 2 days.
*scratches head*
Ya... this one has me bewildered also. Raised it to GM in less than a week, just fishing with buddies on a boat and a bag full of ale. Makes for great story telling!

I'd say taming, then discord, and cartography/lockpicking next. Poisoning was the hardest by far when I GM'd it back in 2000, but relatively easy now (and not really needed any more).

Easiest skill - Herding: zero to GM in about 90 minutes (shorter now that I know what I am doing).

Anakena

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this.

Poisoning and ninjitsu both have little tricks you can do that are posted within these vary forums to get them up to the necessary numbers. Taming though? In short, no. You just have to tame and tame and tame and tame...until you get bloody sick of it.
What makes taming hard, is that you have to work a lot more for one skill check than with other skills, especially since you can't keep taming the same animal. You have to move, find a target, tame it, release it, kill it, wait for respawn, move to the newly spawned animal.

On the other hand, you can easily setup a macro in UOA for poisoning the same item over and over.

S

Saris

Taming hand down, nothing is close, Disco was slow for me up to 93 then shot to 120 in less than 24 hours.

If you train a skill wrong, all of them can be hard, case and point, I raised bush to 120 with LS took 2 weeks, :) with MS at the end it took 1 day, next time.

Taming, is only fast if you eat a bunch of SOTs

104.1 real here I get my ggs, its so much of a pain to train that I dont.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What makes taming hard, is that you have to work a lot more for one skill check than with other skills, especially since you can't keep taming the same animal. You have to move, find a target, tame it, release it, kill it, wait for respawn, move to the newly spawned animal.

On the other hand, you can easily setup a macro in UOA for poisoning the same item over and over.
I think you misread what I had said. I meant that taming is difficult and poisoning and ninjitsu are relatively easy. :)