• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Happy Anniversary Day UO! Live Stream Update...

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
In the just-held first-ever livestream on YouTube, the Devs announced a new concept shard that will be developing soon, with no Trammel/Felucca division and new rule sets. This shard will be a story arc shard that will be created, similar to our test shard, with independent housing and characters. The shard will exist in this story arc for a time (the time period suggested was 1 year) and then there will be a 'shattering' and the shard will end, but allow characters who have developed a personal story and legacy to transfer to a production shard and live on.

The new shard will be called New Legacy. The entire idea is to keep a story arc fresh, give everyone a level playing field startup, and let people experience the 'new game' feeling and develop their own legacy stories as they play.

The Devs communicated their enthusiasm for being able to streamline skills, talents, item properties, PvP, and experiences with their fresh new toolsets that allow them to move code to production faster and cleaner. The new shard server will be placed inside the US, but it has not yet been announced what coast the server will be placed on.

This shard will NOT be a Siege Perilous look alike, or a Trammel. It will have some safety features and not allow for total anniliation by a Red, but will also have a lot of PvP attributes to make the PvP community feel loved. There was absolutely no talk of vending issues, crafting, pets, or PvM play in this livestream, so I know nothing about any plans in those areas.

There will only be humans on a Legacy shard, and the entire map is being redone for the launch of this story arc. I do not yet know if the maps will change for each iteration of the Legacy shard story arcs, but they asked us to stay tuned for Newsletter announcements and information releases from the Newsletter. You can sign up for the newsletter at UO.com. A lovely new video is on UO.com along with some further information, but the web traffic has currently crashed the webpage so wait a bit until it can restore itself and has less traffic! There has been no announcement of a release date.

Mesanna also announced that she would like to do anniversary parties every five years, so keep your eyes looking for announcements on a 25th anniversary party and send Mesanna any ideas you have for the celebration!

Enjoy UO's anniversary day everyone! Happy 23rd!

-- El

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I personally hope that the Legacy shard is being used to redraw the map for the other shards.

After all, the main reason why we lost (Old) Haven was that the island was hopelessly bugged as a result of its origin (apparently it was still interacting with an earlier version based on Ocllo), and they effectively excised the old code and recoded that part of Trammel from scratch. I still sorta blame myself for New Haven, as I decided to show how bad Lake Austin's Haven was to the UO staff at the EA booth at Gen Con in 2003 or 2004 (I borrowed a demo booth computer to log in and get BODs, and the Devs present got to see the rubber-banding first-hand over my shoulder).

El of LA

Babbling Loonie
Reporter
Professional
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Oh so I can blame you!?! AH HA! ;)