• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Halloween event info

Frankly

Visitor
As a returning player, this is the first real holiday event I've seen since I came back (March-ish of this year), I think. Is there anywhere that i can find a guide to maximizing my Halloween experience? I've searched around and found some things on UO-CAH.com, and UOGuide, as well as the Wiki, but it's mostly just lists of the things available and no real detail on how to participate. As in, I've discovered the "trick or treat" at NPCs will get you candy, but do you NEED a beggar to get the rares that they can hand out? Does it NEED to be GM? I know there are pumpkins around and some can be carved, but I don't know if they're separate actions, etc.

Anyhow, if there's a thread or guide somewhere that someone knows of, I would be most appreciative.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
TrickOrTreat.jpg
Trick or Treat items
I have GM begging
but I did start getting the older items with 60 begging.

===========

Fields, cotton patch
pull up on the bigger pumpkins that spawn there
Grimm will appear
kill it and loot carveable pumpkins

you have to go to cemeteries to kill the Butcher
to get a carving kit

beware, every time someone dies
there could be zombie skeletons at the cemetery
with their name on them.
kill them for a chance to get a named skeleton

BONES2.png

Frankly

Visitor
Oh nice, pictures and everything! Thanks for the quick reply, I'll have to see if I can train up a beggar enough to get some stuff. Do you need to use the actual begging skill, or just the normal "trick or treat" on the NPC to have a chance at the non-candy items?

Are the monsters that need killing generally easy to handle?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1. The previous year's stuff requires lower begging - but you can get there in a few hours of begging (note that trick or treating does not count as begging). Usually only the new items for this year requires the character to have GM Begging. Finding someone to buy Begging from is hard, but worth the effort if you find them (I forget where I found the NPC - see if the red NPC in skara mainland offers it, as I think it offers most skills).
2. When training begging, consider keeping the water pitchers, then once you're nearly full of them (having dropped/trash the rest), go find a water elemental and throw the water pitchers at them. The "Endless pitchers" that the water eles throw back into your pack are worth the effort for a returning character. (you link to a trough or other water source in your house, then you can cook and water without having to reload it)
3. The candy apples for trick or treating can be used for feeding pets that require fruits & vegetables, without having to pay through the nose (cooks and tamers have gotten apple's price to 50-100 GP each off most NPCs, from a start price of 3)

4. The skeletons with the potential for character skeletons are all skeletal/bone knights - some with character names, some with the default ____ knight name. You can tell the difference because these have thousands of HP and run faster than an Ilshenar Paragon. They also are bit more damaging (not much - more a factor of higher dex meaning faster attacks). They CAN swarm you. If a skeletal/bone knight is going normal speed, you can ignore it, as it means that it was a summons or animated one, and won' t have any loot you'd want.
5. The Butchers in the Graveyards are relatively tough fights, but faster than fighting several of the named skeletons at once. They summon undead up through liches (including those annoying regular bone knights), and have the carving kits for the regular jack-o-lanterns (not the trick or treat drops), with the pumpkins for carving coming from the large pumpkins spawning Grims in the farm fields.

Cinderella

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Awards
you can train begging by finding a gypsy
at the minoc gypsy camp (south of the bank)

use skill begging on NPC to gain begging skill
I did this in Heartwood
there is a trash can in there to throw away what you don't want

then when you want to trick or treat
go to NPC's and use a macro

==========

EC (Enhanced Client)

say Trick or treat
wait for target
target nearest mobile
cursor target current

================

CC (classic client)

say Trick or treat
wait for target
select nearest mobile
current target

==============

these are the macros I use
I don't have a macro that selects more than one mobile at a time
(i have seen some do this, but don't know how they do that)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For CC people, I think I used to have a UOAssist macro that targeted the nearest target, so I'd set up a 200 line (max length in UOAssist) doing the say, wait for target, target nearest mob, then wait a couple seconds. Then, I would use the time of the waiting to move a step or two so that a different mob was nearest.

But, I lost that macro two or three computers ago.

Riner

Journeyman
Governor
Thanks for sharing the macro it really saves a lot of clicking and speeds things up.