• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Half the production cities are down, yet no word from anyone?

G

So I'm not supposed to write about gripes and stuff in Technical advice, so I'm putting this here.

Here's my major point of frustration:

There's all this stuff going on with cities being out, down, server/hardware issues, lots of us can't get on, and there's no real easy way to get information.

I'm sorry, but slogging through PAGES and back-reading through dozens of posts is NOT my idea of a great way to get information on what exactly is going on.

I certainly do not feel that I am being kept up-to-date on the latest server outages and what is being done about them, why it's happening, and when anyone expects things to be fixed.

TSO-e, the so-called development blog, is all about the cutesy stuff that is going on -- the happy fix-it wizard, the bullet train, the cool chairs you can create etc.

But when the poop hits the fan, I'm supposed to turn here and ask questions, read, read, read, and still not get answers.

Seriously???

Today I was directed to read through EIGHT PAGES of posts from people asking about and responding to all the issues with connecting to the servers for the game today.

No player should be told to read through EIGHT, EIGGGHHHHHTTT pages of chatter to try to pick out information. Information that I have to sort, parse, and decide whether or not it is relevant to me.

The development blog was supposed to have been created for the purpose of keeping us informed on issues related to the merges. As I see it, the issues that arose today did so because of the bullet train moves. Yet there was NO MENTION of it AT ALL. None.

Again, I said this in one of my many posts today, I do realize your tasks, developers, are monumental. Nothing you are trying to do here is a small deal. It is clear, however, that this project you have taken on was not clearly thought out, it was not well-planned, and the information you are giving us, your paying customers, is poor.

I am watching what happens over the next few days, as I am sure are many others. What happens with merges and how you deal with the glitches that undoubtedly will arise, will determine for me whether or not I remain a paying customer.

The prospect of mergins is interesting. The custom content stuff is cute. The ATM idea is ridiculous, and that wizard, while interesting in concept, seems to not have been the best-thought-out solution either.

I just want to get my money's worth guys. And right now, i'm not.

Please improve how and when you communicate with us. And if you can't, please re-think this task you have taken on. It may be too much for you to handle.

I

imported_julilyn

Developers are working night and day.

there are bullet trains rushing by and merging and testing and custom content and all sorts of new things going on.

TSO is a work in progress right now. I have seen a great effort made by the whole team to communicate with the community. You can't expect them to drop what they are working on and run to post about it every time an issue comes up.

be patent, check back often. this too shall pass.

todays reason for cities down is probally due to THE BULLET TRAIN

G

whats the point if half the players cant get in or stay there ?

I

imported_julilyn

ever live in a house while doing home improvement? the sawdust and hammers and everything in a mess drives you nuts for a while but the end result is awesome and well worth it.

S

swissmoonbeam

I've been wanting to get into DG for a couple of days now and can't seem to. I really really wanted to, before it closes for good. There are last minute things i need to do. I sure hope i'll be able to get on tomorrow then....

I'll be very sad, if I can't get in before they shut them down for good.

moon

B

Bindy

Rafficat I know you're frustrated and I agree I feel the same way right now. 2 to 3 days of not being able to log on due to an updater error that isnt getting fixed is giving me a headache. Ive logged into here numerous times yesterday and today looking for some answer (any answer) as to when we can log in and Im tired of it all. I know they are busy with the bullet train but geez cant someone help us. No probably not, all we can do is wait and wait and wait some more. Well Im done waiting for tonight maybe tomorrow but I wont hold my breath.

G

<blockquote><hr>

So I'm not supposed to write about gripes and stuff in Technical advice, so I'm putting this here.

Here's my major point of frustration:

There's all this stuff going on with cities being out, down, server/hardware issues, lots of us can't get on, and there's no real easy way to get information.

I'm sorry, but slogging through PAGES and back-reading through dozens of posts is NOT my idea of a great way to get information on what exactly is going on.

I certainly do not feel that I am being kept up-to-date on the latest server outages and what is being done about them, why it's happening, and when anyone expects things to be fixed.

TSO-e, the so-called development blog, is all about the cutesy stuff that is going on -- the happy fix-it wizard, the bullet train, the cool chairs you can create etc.

But when the poop hits the fan, I'm supposed to turn here and ask questions, read, read, read, and still not get answers.

Seriously???

Today I was directed to read through EIGHT PAGES of posts from people asking about and responding to all the issues with connecting to the servers for the game today.

No player should be told to read through EIGHT, EIGGGHHHHHTTT pages of chatter to try to pick out information. Information that I have to sort, parse, and decide whether or not it is relevant to me.

The development blog was supposed to have been created for the purpose of keeping us informed on issues related to the merges. As I see it, the issues that arose today did so because of the bullet train moves. Yet there was NO MENTION of it AT ALL. None.

Again, I said this in one of my many posts today, I do realize your tasks, developers, are monumental. Nothing you are trying to do here is a small deal. It is clear, however, that this project you have taken on was not clearly thought out, it was not well-planned, and the information you are giving us, your paying customers, is poor.

I am watching what happens over the next few days, as I am sure are many others. What happens with merges and how you deal with the glitches that undoubtedly will arise, will determine for me whether or not I remain a paying customer.

The prospect of mergins is interesting. The custom content stuff is cute. The ATM idea is ridiculous, and that wizard, while interesting in concept, seems to not have been the best-thought-out solution either.

I just want to get my money's worth guys. And right now, i'm not.

Please improve how and when you communicate with us. And if you can't, please re-think this task you have taken on. It may be too much for you to handle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ya know? If you would come onto Stratics once in a while to see what's going on, you wouldn't *have* to "read through EIGHT, EIGGGHHHHHTTT pages of chatter to try to pick out information.", you would just breeze through the newer posts.
Sooooo many people don't want to be bothered with keeping up-to-date with what's going on (even tho they KNOW there are major changes underway that will affect them), and yet they feel justified in raising hell with others when those others don't jump to answer their questions immediately.
What is it you want? For the Devs to drop by your house and give you a personal briefing???!!! THEY...... ARE..... BUSY!
Read! Pay attention! Take some responsibility for YOUR OWN information gathering! Do you have ANY idea how frustrating (infuriating) it is to have to repeat the answers to the SAME questions over and over and over and over because some people can't be bothered to look?
To all you ppl with little patience and even less consideration - Keep your self-righteous indignation.... we're full up here.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Ya know? If you would come onto Stratics once in a while to see what's going on, you wouldn't *have* to "read through EIGHT, EIGGGHHHHHTTT pages of chatter to try to pick out information.", you would just breeze through the newer posts.
Sooooo many people don't want to be bothered with keeping up-to-date with what's going on (even tho they KNOW there are major changes underway that will affect them), and yet they feel justified in raising hell with others when those others don't jump to answer their questions immediately.
What is it you want? For the Devs to drop by your house and give you a personal briefing???!!! THEY...... ARE..... BUSY!
Read! Pay attention! Take some responsibility for YOUR OWN information gathering! Do you have ANY idea how frustrating (infuriating) it is to have to repeat the answers to the SAME questions over and over and over and over because some people can't be bothered to look?
To all you ppl with little patience and even less consideration - Keep your self-righteous indignation.... we're full up here.

[/ QUOTE ]*picks jaw up off the floor*

*standing ovation*

I

imported_SimTripps

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

*standing ovation*

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL!!!!!!!! OMG you guys kill me! Donovan, I lubs you lol...

One handy thing I do in a long thread, if I'm trying to find something in particular, is to hit CTRL F and type in a keyword... Saves having to read through all the gobbeldy oomska lol..

J

JRock

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

*standing ovation*

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL!!!!!!!! OMG you guys kill me! Donovan, I lubs you lol...

One handy thing I do in a long thread, if I'm trying to find something in particular, is to hit CTRL F and type in a keyword... Saves having to read through all the gobbeldy oomska lol..

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh btw, should we tell them that the production cities will be shut down forever on the 20th?

C

calvinscreeksim

<blockquote><hr>

Oh btw, should we tell them that the production cities will be shut down forever on the 20th?

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

All Production cities (AV, BF, CC, DC, DG, EJ, FF, IH, JP and MF) close for play on Feb. 21, 2008. Betaville is already closed for play. Where are your Sims’?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh now I'm not keeping up, which is it?

I

imported_CherryBomb

It reminds me of when I used to own a bill collection agency, before I sold it. We would get someone call and demand to talk to the customer service department. If they were loud enough, the call would get all the way up to me, and I would get the chance to say "I'm sorry, ma'am, but we don't *have* a customer service department" [click]

CherryBomb

I

imported_SimTripps

Especially at a bill collections office lol.. It's more about 'Customer Pay Now Or Else We'll Take Your First Born', than 'Customer Service' lol...

G

I would really like to get in to the production cities.

Earlier they were open but I couldn't patch. Now I'm locked out.

They close tomorrow, and I still have unfinished business there to complete before the merger. Yes, I know I have been given a lot of time, but something new just came up.

I would hope that this isn't the last chance I will have at getting in.

G

Hm, I've got two kids. Hanging out here all day isn't really a possibility for me.

And if you read through what I was saying, I wasn't saying that I wasn't aware of the merge, or the fact that production cities were going to be closed permanently tomorrow. As a matter of fact, my frustration was coming from the fact that I very much knew that as a fact. My issue is with having servers go down UNEXPECTEDLY, and not know why they are down. Or when they might go back online.

This wasn't really about the merge ITSELF, but my unhappiness with finding information on the goings-on, in real time, as the merges are happening.

I know about the plans. Thanks. It's what happens when plans are attempted to be executed that I think we could all be told a little more about in a clearer, more timely way.

Like I said. I know the devs are busy. They have crap they gotta do, and their task is huge and difficult. No, I don't expect them to come over.

I do, however, expect them to inform me more clearly. I pay to play the game. I do the reading of the blog (again, which I mentioned is something I do).

Self-righteousness being in the plenty?

You're right.

I

imported_Spacey

Forums are here to ask questions and discuss. If it is so infuriating to answer yet another question... don't. I have questions ALL the time swirling around in my head. So posters...keep posting your questions and concerns. Those that that know it all (and think we should too) can roll their eyes and laugh at our supposed stupidity, but who gives a ....

G

I've said it before I'm sure I'll say it again, the level of communication we get from our devs is unheard of. We are fortunate they tell us anything at all.

Lee did answer that he was working on it, I dont think hes required to tell us why it was broken, but in the end he did say:

Ok looks fixed from the few reports we are getting. I am trying to buy time to keep the poor tired computer there from filling up its disk every 24 hours. Used to be every week but traffic to patching is way way up.

In the mean time I hope some recent stop gaps will keep this from a nightly issue.

Cheers,

Lee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(TC3:LFancey)