• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Hail ye mighty vets! What should I choose as a noob?

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Cheers everyone, I'm new to UO and I've decided to start out here, on SP. There are advices on numerous FAQs, I know, but my question is about a build: dear vets, could you compare the usefulness of a tamer with Hiding and Stealth vs. a tamer with Spellweaving and one standalone crafting skill of choice, such as Imbuing or Alchemy. What are pros and cons?

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I run stealth tamer a lot. Very good for killing monsters and not being killed, and for finding pets worth taming without fighting them. If you want a trade skill, get two soulstones and switch it off. Greater dragons don't fear cooks, and the Bo sure as heck doesn't. On siege, you gotta always account for the Bo and his pvp brethren.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
But weaving and imbuing, what 'bout them? PvE stuff on first one tho. Also many many nice stuff on tinkering.

Last edited:

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you're married to having the crafting skill on there, maybe mysticism and imbuing? The myst gets a bonus from the imbuing skill, much like evaluate intelligence gives a boost to magery. (I say gives a boost, they're kinda useless without said boost)

and DAMMIT STRATICS QUIT GIVING ME ADS FOR BUYING RUSSIAN WOMEN!!!!

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hey, I don't wanna be bought!
Well, a crafting skill isn't required that much, the problem is that Stealth is only Usable with Hiding, and if I'm going to replace them with Spellweaving, there aren't many skills that can fill the empty space since most of them are useful (for a tamer) in pairs.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why imbuing alone? You ideally need tailor and blacksmith to craft the base items before you can imbue them.

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget spellweaving's strength comes from having high level arcane circle. Not hard to get, but still a drag if you want to solo. It's not completely useless without a high level circle, but pretty close ;) just my .02

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Also one of the reasons I'd like weaving, to help people get focus.

By the way, where do people gather? So far seen less people than on some deserted freeshard.

Last edited:

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Create a detective/player hunter. Tracking and Detect...Hiding and stealth. Then add skills to kill players :) ...la

Bo Bo

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what bout mage/eval and throw on some med if possible. dont konw the entire template, but Bo hopes you are going garg. Hard to get around with a gd on foot. Why not put out the entire template than we might be able to help out more.
Truthfully no need for crafting skills cuase the loot you will find is gonna be better than anything you can craft.

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as hanging out people don't hang out on Siege, they are out and about doing stuff. You won't see most of them but they are there trust me on this. Welcome and hope you enjoy Siege!!

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I should have added people do hang out at times, yesterday the net toss had lots of people on the docks. Then a couple of idoc had lots of people hanging out in a couple different locations. Hi Bo, we hung out together so to speak.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can bring two characters to a spell focus. One has just started spellweaving, the other will be a zero skill.

All at a focus need to be no more than 20 below or 20 above the Arcane Focus caster for the focus to work. If everyone there has zero skill, I'm told a focus will work and you can then put the skill back on from a soulstone.

I think the problem with spellweaving will be getting the scrolls for the spellbook. Didn't find any for sale when I vendor searched last night.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Actually eval might be a good choice since magery is (obviously) in the template. So weaving&eval vs. hiding&stealth.
I'm afraid I must displease Bo since gargs can't tame heal dogs. Not like GD can keep up with a rider (but it can).

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Well about the full template, it includes (for roleplaying purpose, so they stay anyway) aiming for legendary taming, lore & vet. Then there's magery, of which I need as many pts as it will allow me to freely use helpful stuff like gate, invis, incognito, polymorph, archcure, greater heal, *remind me a helpful spell I missed*. Could you tell me, how many pts is that then? That's 340-220 points left, for two-three legendaries or something. If going for Eval and weaving, should go for legend magery as well, I think. If hiding and stealth, no real reason to - but what to pick then

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can add +13 points of skill to Taming, Vet, Animal Lore, and Magery on imbued jewelry, a total of 104 skill points using both a ring and a bracelet. That can give you 804 skill points to play with and adds to your skill from the start to where you decide to lock it at.

Skill............Real points............Jewelry.........Total skill

Taming............. 94...................... +26................120
Lore.................. 94.......................+26................120
Vet.....................94.......................+26................120
Magery,,,,,,,,,,,,, 94.......................+26................120
Imbuing..........120 (n/a)
....................--------- ................--------
........................496....................... 104

This leaves you with 204 real skill points to play with. You could use soulstones to swap two Grandmastered skills in & out as desired. My Tanivar character is set up like this with Magery skills instead of Taming.

I'm one of those crafter/forager folk so if you need some crafted things drop a book telling me what you need in the mailbox at my shop and I'll see if I can make it for you and help you get set up. Can't go where Bad Things Play to get major ingredients but I can make a lot of things. The shop is west of Zento, leave town just south of the end of the mountains and it's a yellow sandstone building on the coast. If we can connect in game, I'll friend you to the shop and we can set up a box to hold any items until you pick them up.

I was new here once myself. :)

Last edited:

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thanks, I've never thought jewelry bonuses aren't subject to total skill cap! That'll be a nice thing for the rest of the skills, but Taming, Vet and Lore should be legendaried in real skill, for RP purpose.
For the stuff, I think I've got to up taming first a little bit, so I'll be able to get a better pet for farming, thanks!

So, that gives even more points for extra skills, provided that when I wear the jewelry for the first time, I won't get killed and looted)
Can anyone explain the benefits of weaving vs benefits of stealth?

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stealth - at 75 skill you will most likely never be revealed and never have a problem stealthing. Feel free to wander about in realitive safety. By itself, stealth really gives no bonus other than being able to move around hidden. With ninjitsu, stealth becomes a much more powerful skill.

Spell weaving - highly dependant on high level arcane circle for maximum effectiveness. I believe one of the SW'ing spells allows for stronger summons i.e. energy vortexes. WoD nice finishing spell. Summoned pixies can be useful. Healing spell mediocre at best.
Can't say I use either skill the way you are expecting too, but good luck with your build.

Kattasrophe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Im usually in Luna if I'm here.. but then I find someone to go have fun with to do a dungeon run or things of that sort.. Welcome to UO and Siege Perilous!!!

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thanksies everyone, but I can't seem to be able to train stealth. I've got gains on fails till 25, but then I can't seem to get any success, so no gains( Is it normal?

Spiffykeen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember hitting a wall there, are you wearing any armor at all? Might need to take it off

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I believe you need to success to gain, maybe try with one piece armor, if you do success without gain

Candy Cane

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If that doesn't work try some jewelry to up your skill level, that might make getting a gain easier.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yeah, jewelry should do, thanks.
I read somewhere that here you gain without success below 25 skill, to compensate for no skill train at NPCs.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, jewelry should do, thanks.
I put a ring & a bracelet with stealth on them in that spot I mentioned in that message I sent you.

I trained stealth a couple years back. I can't find the professions thread the info was in but it gave a list of pieces of leather and studded armor to wear as you trained up from zero. Try wearing one or two pieces of that suit and see if gains start happening.

Zalfein

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's easier inside a house than outside, so if you fail at 25, go inside. You can train up to 65 inside a house naked, 75 outside.

Zalfein

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Anyone knows how does Spell Focusing work and where can I find it? There's almost nothing on UOGuide about this.
Also Herding, somewhere it says that the success chance is equal to the skill (100=100%, 50=50% etc.) and in other places it says it depends on the taming difficulty. I'm confused.

Pignasty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
IIRC, spell focusing makes your spell damage ramp up on a single target from -20% to +20%. So your first few spells cast at that target are weaker, but your last few are buffed. It kinda makes spell casting a little like Perfection from Bushido, if that makes sense.