• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Guild Wars 2 Racial Abilities – What Powers Will You Possess? | GW2PC

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Over at Guild Wars 2 PC there is a very nice detailed article concerning racial abilities. This will come in handy when a player comes into making their mind up which race they may choose to play.

The article here [Racial Abilities] - What Powers Will You Possess? | Guild Wars 2 PC by Author – Jstadragon goes into great detail about racial abilities. If you haven't made up your mind yet or just learning about Guild Wars 2 please check out the article to help answer some of your questions.

I had already decided on starting out on a human. More for my itsy bitsy teenie weenie role-playing side I have. For some reason my first character I ever create in any game I play always has some meaning to role-playing.

Maybe it's because the books I read but to me its more my story always with that first character how I want to play them.

With so many great races to choose in GW2, it was difficult choice for me but human it is.

Our Guild Wars 2 staff wants to thank GuildWars2PC and Jstadragon for having this information up for all the fans and players of Guild Wars 2. We hope you enjoy and we appreciate all the hard work all the fans and sites do to provide the best possible information for all the Guild Wars 2 Player Nation around the world.

Link below: Please visit!

[Racial Abilities] - What Powers Will You Possess? | Guild Wars 2 PC

For the click link impaired:

Guild Wars 2 Racial Abilities – What Powers Will You Possess? | GW2PC

Of the five playable races in Guild Wars 2, did you know each will have unique racial abilities? I know, I was a little bit shocked to read about this because it would present multiple issues such as bias and balancing. As competitive gamers, we don’t want any particular type of criteria, such as race, to have an advantage because it would break the game. Also, we don’t want a certain race to be overpopulated just because of some “cool ability”. Players won’t need to worry about these issues, because racial abilities are essentially enhancements to the Guild Wars 2 experience, giving each race presence and their identity.

Here I will explain racial abilities and go over some of the issues discussed across the web. Before we continue, let me give you some background information about each race, as it will help you understand the type of abilities each race possesses.

The Asura are known for their intelligence, being alchemical inventors, they pride themselves in their mystic technology. The Charr stand as the race forged in war, it’s what defines them, they have cast aside all types of religion and see life only in the form of battle. The Human receive their strength and blessing from the Six Gods, fighting to keep the human race alive. The Sylvari are botanical humanoids, spawned from the Pale Tree, their Mother Tree, exploring a world they have recently appeared on. Lastly, the Norn are valiant barbarians of the Shiverpeak Mountains, living for the hunt and attuned with the wild.

Now that is out of the way, let’s get down to what really matters, the details, and how it will affect your gameplay and experience.

Q: What are racial abilities?

These are race specific abilities for each of the 5 races in Guild Wars 2: Norn, Sylvari, Asura, Human, and Charr.

Q: What kind of racial abilities does each race have?

Below is a list of currently known abilities, each race will have at least 6 racial abilities ranging from elites, utility, and heal skills:

Charr

Battle Roar

Hidden Pistol - Fires a single pistol shot while wielding any weapon.

Shrapnel Mine - Scatter up to 3 mines that cripple and bleed enemies.

Warband Support (Elite) - Temporarily summons allies from your warband to fight alongside you.

Artillery Barrage (Elite) - Calls in an artillery barrage that deals AoE damage.

Human

Prayer of DwaynaSelf - heal.

Prayer of Kormir - Removes a condition.

Hounds of Balthazar (Elite) - Summons 2 fiery dogs.

Sylvari

Blessing of the Pale Tree - Protects the user.

Grasping Roots - Immobilizes a foe.

Norn

Bear Form (Elite)

Raven Form (Elite)

Snow Leopard Form (Elite)

Wolf Form (Elite)

Asura

Arcane Blast

RadiationGolem

Battlesuit (Elite) - Creates a battlesuit that can be entered and operated by yourself or another party member.

Q: Do racial abilities affect stats?
No.

Q: How are these racial abilities compared to normal profession skills?

They are not as strong as profession skills. Targeting and hit boxes are exactly the same.

Q: How are racial abilities obtained?

Some racial abilities are available immediately after character creation, others will need to be unlocked.

Q: How do you use the racial abilities?

Racial abilities are considered utility skills and are equipped in slots 6-10 on the skill bar.

Q: Are racial abilities allowed in structured PvP?

No. It’s purely for PvE, but it is allowed in non-competitive PvP.

Q: Are racial skills dependant on character story options at creation?

No.

Those are some of the details we know about racial powers. It does not sound like something game-breaking right? You should be excited that the developers have even decided to give us unique abilities for choosing the race we play, rather than just reading about why the races are different. Now we can instantly understand each race and why they possess these special abilities. If you play a shape-shifting Norn, transforming into half-man and half-animal, it is tied to their survival skills in the wild as Nordic warriors of Shiverpeaks. If you play as an Asura, a Golem Battlesuit would be something in their nature to create because of their intelligence and mystic technology.

Personally, the more interesting racial skills are of the Asura and Norn. I mean who wouldn’t want to control a mech or play as an animal? Of course, these just sound cool and shouldn’t justify what race you want to play with, or should it? That is one of the concerns about introducing racial abilities, it presents bias to certain races. Players need to understand that these skills won’t give an advantage in the game. It’s like a special feature or customization, giving each race their identity. That said, racial abilities give something to think about when creating our characters, and adds a bit more fun to our gameplay in my opinion.

Well, what do you guys think? Have you decided to play a certain race because of their racial abilities? Do you have some guesses as to what the other racial abilities would be? Discuss with us on our forums!
02/05/12
Author – Jstadragon