• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Guild Wars 2 Dynamic Events

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ArenaNet has changed the game of the traditional quests in MMO's and made a ‘Dynamic Events’ in Guild Wars 2. Colin Johanson, the Lead Content Designer, has gained internet fame by saying, 'I swung a sword. I swung a sword again. Hey! I swung it again.' on his comments about quests in MMO's.

He and the design team wanted to get out of that rut that MMO's have that say go kill 10 monsters that are attacking this city/village and you go out and find these 10 monsters standing around in a field doing nothing. In my opinion that isn't fun and most gamers will agree. Quests were meant to be more and realistic to the quest. Why kill something that respawns 20 minutes later and nothing has changed. The same city/village you were trying to save was not saved, the same monsters are standing around doing nothing hasn’t changed, basically nothing changed. It's the same thing over and over.

With Guild Wars 2 ‘Dynamic Events’ makes the world a living world. What you may did that one day and saved that village may be over run the next time you come to it. As a player, you have the choice to save or not save the village. You may choose to save a person or not. They leave the choice up to the players.

In the ‘Dynamic Events’ system, the difficulty is based on player participation. If 10 players are in an area where a ‘Dynamic Events’ is going on then it’s scaled for the 10 players. Now if 30, 50, 60 or 100 players come to help these 10 players the difficulty is scaled to accommodate the change in player population. Now if players start to leave then the ‘Dynamic Event’ is scaled down to the new amount of players.

One ‘Dynamic Event’ can cascade a chain of events depending on the out come. If players lose the enemy will get stronger and move in. The enemy may build a fort then attacking villages around the fort. If the players win the event then they may have to go back and attack where the enemy came from. So this ‘Dynamic Event” can go in either direction depending on players choices and interaction.

Now as a gamer, we all know the frustrations about kill and loot stealing. When that other player(s) come by and ninja’s your kill and gets that best loot item you have been trying to get for hours. Guild Wars 2 has fixed that issue. When participating in events it is based on a players participation. If a player is just standing around doing nothing the game actually knows this an they wont be rewarded. Now if another player has fully participated in the event then they are rewarded accordingly. Another player may come at the end and kill a few things and will get rewarded accordingly to their participation. With real life that may call away players from the world you still are rewarded for participating in the event as long as the player did something.

Not all ‘Dynamic Events’ are so obvious. Many are hidden and may be triggered by accident. This makes a player explore and find these events. A player is not forced to look for these hidden events but for the explorer type of player it adds a little reward just for doing something they love to do. Guild Wars 2 is about the players in a living world :drool:

[youtube]4Thi-LPgIms[/youtube]

© 2011 ArenaNet, Inc. All rights reserved. NCsoft, the interlocking NC logo, ArenaNet, Arena.net, Guild Wars, Guild Wars Factions, Factions, Guild Wars Nightfall, Nightfall, Guild Wars: Eye of the North, Guild Wars Eye of the North, Eye of the North, Guild Wars 2, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCsoft Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
*Would like to give credit also to EzGameReviews on youtube for posting the video*

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
This sounds so amazing. It reminds me of the days when UO's GMs could create similar events. I once told a GM that I liked killing rats. Within an hour, a rat plague had struck all of the towns in Britannia. Another time, I joined a group of players to fight a GM that had randomly transfigured as a super demon.

Sounds like this is going to bring a similar sense of being taken by surprise.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The 'Dynamic Events" is huge in my book. It makes me as a player feel like my contributions mean something. I also think this is a big plus for guilds and players wanting to run events to have a constant events for the community.

Now for the players that like to explore the lands it gives them a purpose. With secret hidden 'Dynamic Events' on top of the open 'Dynamic Events' there will be always something to do. Explorers should be richly rewarded for soing something they like to do and with ArenaNet adding the hidden events makes it a whole lot better.

No more reading paragraphs of text to do quests. Players will see and hear things going on around them.