• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

guaranteed spellbook improvement talisman

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So i did the whole crafting-thing for a few days working on inscription bods.

I finally got my 500 points to claim a guaranteed spellbook improvement talisman. Out of everything on the crafting update, this was the one item that piqued my curiosity (the dyes are pretty though..)

Went to copy to test center 1 and it was down. I figured, there is no way that I'm waiting out the holiday weekend, so I claimed it. I have a few books in my bag in case its a click and target, try that. Nothing.

So then it's on to crafting books. I'm hoping that it pulls up some menu that lets you select a mod or slayer type. I decide, hey, if you're gonna go, go big. I pull out some taint, corruption, and dread horn mane to craft a scrappers compendium, and...

Nothing. No menu comes up, no extra mods went on the book. I crafted a plain scrappers. So then I check the talisman, and it is down a charge like it did something.

So I'm definitely waiting to do more tests until I can get on tc1, and I still don't know what this talisman is supposed to actually do..

Hopefully this saves someone effort or frustration.

@Kyronix If possible, please alter code to not drain charges when crafting scrappers/ or any other item that does not actually qualify for "spellbook improvement".

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My guess is the "improvement" you got was a property the Scrappers already had, just not as good.

Smiths and tailors had to deal with that for years, first with the same property getting hit twice (fixed), then Mage Armor on items that didn't need it (and of course didn't display) (fixed), then Mage armor on SE Samurai Plate (fixed), then properties on ML crafted items where the item had it from crafting (sorta fixed).

Point out the issue to them, and they might fix it.

The issue is either you're replicating an existing property, or the talisman is reading the Scrappers' properties and assuming that a property was applied without the talisman's help.

I hope it's just the first, because then the fix would be relatively easy. IF the latter, the Scrappers making should be fixed to not use a charge.

Cocaine1

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So i did the whole crafting-thing for a few days working on inscription bods.

I finally got my 500 points to claim a guaranteed spellbook improvement talisman. Out of everything on the crafting update, this was the one item that piqued my curiosity (the dyes are pretty though..)

Went to copy to test center 1 and it was down. I figured, there is no way that I'm waiting out the holiday weekend, so I claimed it. I have a few books in my bag in case its a click and target, try that. Nothing.

So then it's on to crafting books. I'm hoping that it pulls up some menu that lets you select a mod or slayer type. I decide, hey, if you're gonna go, go big. I pull out some taint, corruption, and dread horn mane to craft a scrappers compendium, and...

Nothing. No menu comes up, no extra mods went on the book. I crafted a plain scrappers. So then I check the talisman, and it is down a charge like it did something.

So I'm definitely waiting to do more tests until I can get on tc1, and I still don't know what this talisman is supposed to actually do..

Hopefully this saves someone effort or frustration.

@Kyronix If possible, please alter code to not drain charges when crafting scrappers/ or any other item that does not actually qualify for "spellbook improvement".

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!
Are you charatcer was with 120 magery ? /just want to know/

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So is this talisman worthless? Anybody make a useful spellbook with this?

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Test Center was up. Copied character over ( @Cocaine1 : yes, I had 120 magery on the crafter ).

Here are the results:
spellbook : 2 random mods
scrappers : 1 random mod

I am definitely not willing to fill enough bod's to do more testing, but the results are not encouraging. It seems that this talisman may actually be a detriment to the amount of scrolls needed for spellbook crafting, as the guaranteed improvement talisman has to be equipped; you lose the crafting chance bonus that normally comes from the talisman slot.

@Kyronix : Is this talisman working as intended?

uoinscription1.jpg uoinscription2.jpg uoinscription4.jpg

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMHO, all the new talismans are pretty much garbage. Their chance to make/exceptional chance trend to low. Considering that most of us crafters snap up high mod talismans, these are an insult. The "material loss" part simply isn't worth the trade off, nor is this laughable "improvement" for spellbooks...how do you know the extra mod wasn't for having 120 inscription?

The apron is kinda bad too. I feel sorry for the people who work up their BODs and get a +12 apron...

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Oh gods... it doesn't even give a guaranteed 3 mods to normal spellbooks?
What sort of garbage is that, really?

Garrett.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The randomness of the apron stat is a bit pants considering how long it takes to fill the LBOD/bank SBOD'spoints but, the ability to stack with the talisman makes it a worthwhile gamble and definitely something to continue to aim for if the RNG screws you over the first few times. The kicker here is that the Dev's didn't implement a similar thing for all the other new BOD skills - I've no idea what their thinking was behind this because IMHO it's a no-brainer! Let's hope this changes in a future publish because those talismans from the other skills are pretty pants tbh...

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Apologies for this bit of Necroing, but after more than a year I wonder, does anyone know if there have been any improvements for that most expensive talisman? Does it work nowadays?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've used 2 talismans in the last 6 months, on Scrappers only, and every charge added at least one extra property (some 3) to the Scrappers.