• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Greater Dragons still being used after pet revamp

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess its early in the pet revamp.

But there were a lot of big flapping Dragons at the EM event tonight.

There's a red mob somewhere in there.

I didn't know LS had so many players!

Was fun tho!

upload_2017-7-1_0-31-30.png

upload_2017-7-1_0-34-9.png

upload_2017-7-1_0-37-13.png

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or the GD is still the best all-around-tank...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not much work to a GD and you don't need to pay ridiculous prices for the PS required to make other pets viable. OH not to mention the DEVs didn't think anything ought to be any better than a GD...

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
most tamers at events are probably cross shard anyways and don't care enough to train up new pets just for events.
THIS!

I for one would be MORE then happy to help our cross sharders on Origin train up smaller pets....last Origin event was lag central I haven't seen that many GD's at an event in awhile here on Origin lol.

I like my Cu now...I was killing miasma with it and the reptalon decided to visit and my Cu took down both with no healing at all from me.

Still training up a few others....but I think if they took the time or had help we'd see fewer GD's.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still break the GDs out now and then more from a sentimental attachment to them than because they are the best pet for the job. And there are a few shards I play on occasion where I have a GD or two and just am not going to bother training up and scrolling other pets to be equal to or better than the GDs on those shards.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'll be honest all my tamers on other shards have the standard GD because I don't have time or scrolls to work them up on other shards ... YET... and I'll stress YET because I've been so busy on my home shard... 9 tamers there alone... and each one is having a blast finding their "pet" that suits their build... or RP...

Elvolin still has my favorite though if the DEVs listen and make the Dread a 2 slot pet ... which I still think it ought to be (would also be SUPER nice if they let us tame Black Widows as well)... I'll have to redo the spider... but for now I love my Dread ... sure it's not very tanky and such but it's one mean spider... and I enjoy it.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll be honest all my tamers on other shards have the standard GD because I don't have time or scrolls to work them up on other shards ... YET... and I'll stress YET because I've been so busy on my home shard... 9 tamers there alone... and each one is having a blast finding their "pet" that suits their build... or RP...

Elvolin still has my favorite though if the DEVs listen and make the Dread a 2 slot pet ... which I still think it ought to be (would also be SUPER nice if they let us tame Black Widows as well)... I'll have to redo the spider... but for now I love my Dread ... sure it's not very tanky and such but it's one mean spider... and I enjoy it.
Black Widows would have been great :)

cdavbar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still use only two pets. My crappy Cu for The Orchard, and my cat (what humans and elves call "A Greater Dragon", but seriously, you didn't know it was a cat?

I have yet to "train" anything with the new system. With the price of scrolls I am waiting a good time to let things be tweaked, changed, fixed, and nerfed. And even then, maybe will I invest in other pets. \

However, in this situation you show you must remember, a lot of players have built a tamer on each shard for events. However, if that is all they are doing there is no reason to spend mega millions on power scrolls to train them, so the next best thing is get a cat (greater dragon) and use that and save the scrolls for their sweetheart pets on the home shard.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still use only two pets. My crappy Cu for The Orchard, and my cat (what humans and elves call "A Greater Dragon", but seriously, you didn't know it was a cat?

I have yet to "train" anything with the new system. With the price of scrolls I am waiting a good time to let things be tweaked, changed, fixed, and nerfed. And even then, maybe will I invest in other pets. \

However, in this situation you show you must remember, a lot of players have built a tamer on each shard for events. However, if that is all they are doing there is no reason to spend mega millions on power scrolls to train them, so the next best thing is get a cat (greater dragon) and use that and save the scrolls for their sweetheart pets on the home shard.
You know just training your crappy cu up without scrolls would make it a power house...............

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It was interesting to see all the pets at the net toss on Atlantic Sunday - not one GD - probably because people were training up other creatures - it took longer than with 4-5 GDs, but they killed 10 Scalis in two hours

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It was interesting to see all the pets at the net toss on Atlantic Sunday - not one GD - probably because people were training up other creatures - it took longer than with 4-5 GDs, but they killed 10 Scalis in two hours
I doubt we have GDs at our net toss. But the EM tossed 18 or 22 nets and we only got 2 Scalis. Everyone said that was the worst RNG they have seen.

Like people said, the events bring in the visitors and very casual players.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or the GD is still the best all-around-tank...
Not even close. A good Saurosaurus with 85 Physical/90 Fire Resist and 120 Wrest/Parry will out tank any GD any day of the week. Plus they have Life Leech, allowing them to heal themselves for half the damage they inflict. The only things that a Saurosaurus doesn't perform better than a GD on, is bosses with Corrupted Life, causing their Life Leech to damage them instead, such as Osiredon or Corgul. For those, a Cu Sidhe will out tank a GD.

In fact, EM Bennu was so impressed with my Saurosaurus, Varstok, tanking the entire Twisted Weald entrance cave (2 Hellgoats, waves of 30+ Hell Hounds, waves of 15+ Greater Poison Elementals, plus the Corruptions, any of these could be Paragons asides from the Hellgoats), that he created a giant blue Stygian Dragon outside the entrance to the Twisted Weald cave and named it "Varstok the Greater" as a monument to my Varstok. Which is still there. This was on Atlantic. Then a day or two later, i used Varstok to tank 2 Putrifiers, 4+ Tangles, numerous Theophilus the Necromancers, along with Hell Hounds all at the same time in that cave. Not to mention Varstok tanked the two event mini-bosses, the Cave Dragons, at the same time, and barely took a scratch.

However, Varstok didn't get a chance at the big event boss on Wednesday, because too many fatass GDs were blocking view of the boss, and too many people were there for Ctrl+Shift to work to grab the bosses bar :(

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
During the event on Atlantic, i was using my Dread Spider, Lolth, to tank the Corruption Vortexes which did 90% Poison/10% Physical with their melee, and they could barely scratch her due to her 100% Poison Resist and 80 Physical Resist. She has Necromage and Poison Breath as added abilities, does a lot of AoE damage.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
During the event on Atlantic, i was using my Dread Spider, Lolth, to tank the Corruption Vortexes which did 90% Poison/10% Physical with their melee, and they could barely scratch her due to her 100% Poison Resist and 80 Physical Resist. She has Necromage and Poison Breath as added abilities, does a lot of AoE damage.
Yeah I really love my Dread Spider... Barra D'Aphyon (Shadow of Death, in drow of course)... All I gave her was Explosive goo... with 110 Magery, 120 Eval, 120 Med, 115 wrestling, and 120 parry... She is nasty... Very nasty... But doesn't hit as hard as I'd like... I plan to work up some other templates on the dreads .... But the little spider clears the first 2 or 3 levels of champ spawns pretty easily without any real help from me...