• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Greater Dragon Questions

Sektor9

Visitor
Hi,

I'm a uo veteran who quit playing around '01 and rejoined the game a few weeks ago. I created a tamer and spent several days in wind to find me my super GD, but the best i could find was a 4.3. now i saw a GD at luna with 80 cold resist, 714 mana and anatomy and med above 100. how is this possible and how can i train the dragons above the normal caps??

thanks in advance for the answers

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Over a year ago, they changed the taming system to allow most pets under 5 slots to be trained up.

What you saw was one of the rare 4-slot GDs, that underwent 1 round of pet training.

The training allows things like raising stats (note - raising STR/DEX/INT does NOT increase the corresponding HP/stam/mana on the pets), adding regenerations, raising resists (a pet can be made to have a total 365 resists, with nothing being raised above 80, though being overcapped counts toward the 365), adding abilities (if room), changing magical abilities (not worth the cost in many cases) and using powerscrolls to raise pet skill caps.

The results are some truly amazing pets (like the 5-slot giant beetle with Poisoning, Rune Corruption, Mortal Strike and Armor Ignore) that outshine native 5-slot pets for specific uses. The Greater Dragons are still decent as general use pets, but many tamers have now gone to training specific pets for specific roles (Area of Effect-using pets for champ spawns, Chivalry-using pets for creatures that don't have accompanying spawn, pets with mortal strike and/or poisoning for fighting stuff that heals constantly, Pets with Discordance for certain other dangerous targets, etc.).

Look in the Taming forum in "Professions" for advice, especially the "A to Z" thread where one of the posters helps explain the training process,

jeremy roe

Adventurer
Hi,

I'm a uo veteran who quit playing around '01 and rejoined the game a few weeks ago. I created a tamer and spent several days in wind to find me my super GD, but the best i could find was a 4.3. now i saw a GD at luna with 80 cold resist, 714 mana and anatomy and med above 100. how is this possible and how can i train the dragons above the normal caps??

thanks in advance for the answers
Well probably new animal training feature. Once tamed you can lore it and with enough taming and lore start training up to 5 levels.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk