• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Graphics or Gameplay?

Which Is more Important to you, graphics or gameplay?

• It is all about gameplay, graphics are secondary

Votes: 46 66.7%
  • It is all about graphics, gameplay is secondary

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I prefer a balanced approach

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • I dont care, just want to kill stuff

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am wondering how people feel about this.

Personally, I prefer good gameplay, something that has been slipping away from UO for a while now..

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I prefer Gameplay.

I've worked in the game industry when it was growing a lot and all the designers that went just for graphics are now in the gutter and those that went for a combination of both are still at the top.
Nintendo Wii also sells better than PS3.

Graphics can keep you entertained for 30 mins. Good gameplay can keep you entertained nearly forever. This also explains the increasing popularity of browser games (some are even text based). Games like Neopets.com have several million players, and that's just one of many.

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I used to be into graphics, but over time, I've come to accept that the content of the game and not how it looks is the most important. I've seen some visually impressive games with incredible content (The Witcher for example), but most games with impressive visuals come lacking in the gameplay department. I suppose UO is a good example of that, the graphics aren't great but it's still running higher subscriptions than some of the more modern, flashier MMO's.

Marcellis

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gameplay definitely. I still pull out XCOM, MOO2, Heroes of Might & Magic, Fallout, etc on my Win98 box occasionally.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Both.

Graphics and Gameplay are not mutually exclusive of each other, and an non-ending online game has the ability to continuously update graphics and interface to stay up to date if it so desires.

H

Hunters Moon

Give me UO gameplay and add WoW graphics and I would honestly be willing to pay $20 a month to play.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Give me UO gameplay and add WoW graphics and I would honestly be willing to pay $20 a month to play.
I wouldn't, I hate WoW graphics.. It is way too cartoonish.. Give me graphics from like, Unreal Tournament 4, Gears of War 1 or 2, or Elder Scrolls Oblivion.. You know, something along the lines of this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsUi80jOE4

And I will pay $20 a month..

Don't get me wrong, I also don't like the current KR graphics, I would actually prefer WoW graphics over KR>.

H

Hunters Moon

I wouldn't, I hate WoW graphics.. It is way too cartoonish.. Give me graphics from like, Unreal Tournament 4, Gears of War 1 or 2, or Elder Scrolls Oblivion.. You know, something along the lines of this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYsUi80jOE4

And I will pay $20 a month..

Don't get me wrong, I also don't like the current KR graphics, I would actually prefer WoW graphics over KR>.
Oh I like the link you gave there. When I saw that guy coming out of the gate with that rhino I thought "Hey...a gaman would look sweet there in UO" I named WoW only because of its popularity,and also I would like to see UO with a population of over a million players,hey...it could happen. Oh and for the cartoonish graphics I do agree that they are cartoonish but I like the background art alot and I always liked the sunset and sunrise effect. The UO instant night/day is just odd to me

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Obviously I voted Gameplay first, Graphics second.

But the question is... how many people who hang out in a UO forums are actually going to care about graphics? People who still play UO definitely don't put graphics first. :p

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Obviously I voted Gameplay first, Graphics second.

But the question is... how many people who hang out in a UO forums are actually going to care about graphics? People who still play UO definitely don't put graphics first. :p
Actually some of my friends get an headache from the WoW graphics. UO's (2D especially) graphics are really easy on the eyes in seems.
So the graphics might be out of date, but they are highly efficient.