• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] Graphics cards?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My card has died. I know that EC can be a bit tempermental about which cards it will work with.
Please tell me what makes/series to avoid?

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
on all the new cards around should work...
I have the ATI Radeon HD 5700 and works fine with it :)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I've run KR/EC on three different nVidia cards without problems (6800, 7950GT, and GTX275)

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
The following cards are not supported:
Geforce™ FX Series
Geforce4™ MX Series
GeForce™ PCX 5900
GeForce™ 6200 Series
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3000
ATI® Radeon™ X300 Series
ATI® Radeon™ X1300 LE HyperMemory-32

not sure if you had seen this

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, thanks Storm, it's the first thing we looked at before going 'window shopping' on the net. But I had a vague recollection of people having trouble with cards which should be supported. I'm not sure, but I think it was 8000 series nVidia?

O

Old Man of UO

Anyone know if the newer Intel Core (i3, i5, i7)-2500K with the Sandy Bridge chipset can handle the EC graphics? How about the AMD Fusion?

I'd like to build a micro-ATX to replace my current desktop that is pumping out over 500watts of heat at my feet. These new chipsets are reported to have very good performance and decent graphics, but consume less than 50watts.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ended up with an nVidia 9500 GT, but between the time my 7300 GT died and I got the new one I found the onboard graphics could actually manage the client quite nicely, though obviously without the second monitor that I'm used to having for communications.
The onboard is ATI Radeon HD 4200 DX 10.1 (according to the MB box blurb)

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The devs are spoiled and don't know how to optimize the code so it runs well on anything but their over-clocked super systems. It's been that way for awhile now. Schools aren't teaching optimization (or debugging and testing it seems) anymore.

W

Woodsman

If an I7 can't handle EC, EA is doing something VERY wrong..
I've run the EC on several systems lately - a Core 2 Duo MacBook, an i7 iMac, and both times the EC was running under Mac OS X, plus an older Core 2 Duo PC with an 8800GT I built a few years ago. The problems I run into are the same problems that others run into - lagging/freezing, although things seem to be better with the last patch. For a while it seemed like it would alternate between patches - one patch would be good, the next bad, etc.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While my current system is a step up from our previous 'built-from-our-sons'-mates-castoffs' set ups, it's far from a 'super system'. I crash rarely, and not at all since the last patch.
I have an AMD Phenom II x2 550 processor, 3.1ghz. 2gb RAM and nVidia 9500 GT, as mentioned, running windows 7 32bit.