• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Governor nominations, any seats empty?

TheMiner

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are there any towns for which no one is running?
Here's what I dont get if someone can sum it up for me.

But what does such a position really do for a player but give them a nice status thing til someone else gets elected ?

Turkish

Journeyman
Here's what I dont get if someone can sum it up for me.

But what does such a position really do for a player but give them a nice status thing til someone else gets elected ?
I think some people like the RP aspect of the governor's meetings. You can also decorate your town a bit, if your EM is willing. Sometimes the Governors try to get together and organize some player events as well. You also get to choose the town buff, but I think most rely on input from the citizens.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What Turkish said.
I'm a do-nothing governor. I do nothing, but I feel that it's better for a town to have a governor than not.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Great question!

Just a few quick thoughts:

My perspective is that it's suppose to be what the Governor does for the town. It's meant to be service to the town's citizens. The biggest hindrance to this is that the Governors have no way of knowing, through game mechanics, who those citizens are. This issue has been brought up by many players and the developers have no plans at this time to change this. Those that do speak up get titles if they choose.

Why do I do it?
Moonglow was the place of my birth, my education, many deaths, many loves, many laughs, many tears and many stories. The people who have populated the city are a part of me as they have made me who I am since day one. I care about the place. It's in my heart.

The City is decorated for the Holidays. It's UO, it's people. While one person grumbles that a deco interfered with their recall spot many people say they enjoy it. If I can give some pleasure and make something nice ingame, I'm in. It's win win. I get pleasure from giving pleasure.

Trade buffs. Before the Blunder Beacons the only major way to add funds to the town coffers was to do trade runs. Lots of them are needed to meet the 2 million gold required to maintain the weekly cost of a trade buff. Through the help of dedicated citizens and myself Moonglow has over 7,500 trade runs. Most of these were done prior to the era of Blunder Beacons. As above.... the people who have populated the city are a part of me as they have made me who I am since day 1. They say which trade buff they want and they get it.

Governors Meeting - From my perspective, from what I see on Baja and it's probably similar on some other shards as well, it's an opportunity to have a few minutes of engaging in role play, something that has significantly disappeared from EM events as well as general player interactions. There are some of us that still want to sit by the fire, share a glass of scotch, listen to a story well told and admire that handsome bar tender behind the bar. The Governor's meeting is as close as we get to that these days.

I don't know if this will make sense. But if you're always looking to 'get' something..... you'll never 'get' it. But if you're looking to 'give' something..... you'll always 'get' it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Kind regards.
AW

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was governor of Moonglow, twice, when no one else was running. Well, not me, but someone who thinks with my brain and wears my clothes.
LOL. I asked for, and got, two decorations, which are still there. L O L.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Doris is now a little less lonely. As we talked about, and the King agreed to make it happen, Doris and Inu the Crone now keep company.

Doris and Inu the Crone.jpg

The Slug

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No Zoogi, I have cookies.

If there is NO other candidate in Skara Brae by 11:58 pm on December 7th (and 58 seconds) I might consider running Guardsman Hawkeye. Of course I realize even mentioning this will have many here begging the current Governor to run again.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Laura has been waiting patiently for a vacancy to become available for a while as well.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vesper: Xelious Norwood
Minoc: Hoogata
Yew: Crazy Diamond
Trinsic: Ezekiel Littlrot
Moonglow: Amber Witch
Jhelom: LeiLani
Britain: Rosy Roundbottom

That's the lineup that I can see. I don't know about Skara Brae or New Magincia.
Hawkeye, don't wait 'til the last minute, because you will need a second person to endorse you.
I'll be "Just A Guard" for the next six months. That works well enough.