• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gorgon Software Interaction with Mac Hardware and Software

Vee

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
[ Characters – Vaide (Sword/Archery, Verriel (Fire Mage/Staff), Verrai (Werewolf/Unarmed) ]

In the last few days I have been seeing slowdowns in the displayed video at times. I started checking on my computer system which is :
MacPro1,1 – two dual core Intel Xeon processors
5GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card
Apple Cinema Display 1600x1024
DSL Internet connection with typical ping of 125 to Gorgon server
Operating System Mac OS X 10.6.8

On 13 Feb I started Gorgon from the Launcher for 4 characters and found the following :

Place Ivyn Mushroom Inside Outside Hogan
Jack Myconian Myconian
Dungeon Dungeon
Character Vaide Verrai Verriel Verriel Viva
Incoming data 10kB/sec 10kB/sec 2kB/sec 10kB/sec 25kB/sec
CPU useage 125 % 125% 60% 150% 105%
Memory useage 0.98GB 0.98GB 0.40GB 1.11GB 0.88GB
Framerate 30/sec 30/sec 60/sec 26/sec 30/sec
These values were fairly stable during loading and for several minutes after that. I assume loading is complete when all the action bar icons are complete. I am running with music at zero volume and I have not been able to hear ambient sounds for 2 or 3 weeks at least. My system indicates 100% CPU useage for 1 of the 4 cores fully used or all 4 at 25% useage.

Other observations :
1) Memory useage increases slowly during game play but I never noted it reducing.
2) Opening a window increased CPU useage by about 5% - 8 windows by 40% - even when windows are not used.
3) While the password screen is up data is received by my computer at 192kB/sec for less than a minute – appears to be server rate – and similar amounts for all characters..
4) After selecting my character more data is received at 192kB/sec for less than a minute but much less for Verriel – estimate 35% of amount for other characters.
5) The login window and play window aren't compatible with Mac windows. There is no “handle” in the lower right corner of the login window for resizing and clicking in this corner crashes Gorgon so it is now full screen but works if I avoid the corner with my mouse. If I uncheck the fullscreen box of the play window the bottom of the window is offscreen hiding most of the bottom action bar. Also the top bar containing the close and minimize buttons is active because if I right click there my character tries to run there.
6) Activity near me while playing gives a spike in CPU useage but nothing else that is obvious.

Because I can't resize windows I can't get similar values for fights with multiple enemies such as in the Crypt because my Activity Monitor window has to coincide with the play window so my inputs to Gorgon bring the Gorgon screen to the front. I expect that the slowdown I see occasionally in quiet areas will get worse during fights.

If anyone else is using a Mac are you seeing problems and do you know of anything that improves it. These values seem to be too high for what is on screen and also too variable.

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I will send this along to Citan. If you want him to get a message anytime soon, shoot it through the in game error report.