• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Cartography] Good thunter build?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
My question is how are you going to kill the ancient guardians? They spawn one at a time when using remove trap. I would remove heal and peace and go with myst/focus. You could also change peace to discord and add eval while removing heal.

Calcutta

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I currently have:
120 music
120 peace
86ish Provoke (110 with jewels)
100 magery
100 cartography
100 lockpicking
55ish remove trap
Rest in Meditation

i recently came back after a few years away. Always ran a thunter and decided to try the new style maps out. Having a lot of fun doing them while training my remove trap. I have solod stash, supply, cache, and hoard with the above character. Basically i dig the chest up, cast 2 ev’s while its digging, offscreen and invis, pull bars, figure out what i want to provoke together, peace and provoke as needed. When the initial spawn is dead I make sure an EV is always up near the chest. Start Remove Trap, heal through the burst damages, if a guardian spawns immediately peace it and let my EV handle him. It worksquite well, and hopefully better when i finish training my Provoke and remove Trap! I am dropping meditation for skillpoints in both as needed.

Quickjohn

Adventurer
My question is how are you going to kill the ancient guardians? They spawn one at a time when using remove trap. I would remove heal and peace and go with myst/focus. You could also change peace to discord and add eval while removing heal.
not skills. uses for magery. Unlocking chest and healing

(Taler)

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Could drop healing and grab spellweaving. Then you could drop a reaper with its mastery. Gives you a heal over time and a self rez too.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Cart 100
Remove trap 100
magery 120 lock pick ,heal
Peace 120
Music 120
Prov 120

As long as all you're doing are up through cache, a template like this works....

BTW, some people are completely misunderstanding the original poster.

The "magery 120 lockpick, heal" means the character has 120 Magery, and uses the MAGERY to heal and unlock chests.

Magery does NOT require eval for
  • Healing
  • Summons
  • Unlock
  • Travel spells (including Mark)
  • Mind Blast (the only damaging spell of note Magery has that isn't tied to EV)
Most Cache ancient guardians can be taken down with EVs or elementals, especially if the caster is peacing the guardian. The regular guardians can be done with a combination of provoking and summons.

The only bad thing about this template is that if you eventually go on to doing Hoards and Troves, it will require major changes (the need for lockpick, and that summons are worthless against the Greater Dragons, Frost Dragons, and Ancient Wyrms).

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I’ve found that adding taming and lore to a tmap build is super helpful.

getting to 75 real taming and having jewels do the rest is not that hard to set up.

made the switch from rising colossus to lesser Hiryu and the utility is great.

my build is
tame
Lore
Lock pick
Cart
Magery
Then some mix of resist/med/remove trap

Telchar

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I am just wrapping up my Tamer/THunter. I will be running;
Taming 120
Lore 120
Lock Picking 100
Remove Trap 100
Cart 100
Magery 120
Wrestling ~60

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My Tamer/TH template is

120 Taming (after Jewelry) - currently over 115 natural
120 Lore (after Jewelry) - currently over 113 natural
120 Vet
100 Magery (70+15 spellbook +15 Bracelet)
100 Cartography
100 Lockpicking
100 Remove Trap

I'm currently letting Taming and Lore raise, and magery fall. Eventually, I plan to change out the Taming/lore ring for a ring that I plan to imbue (with Vet & Magery), but will keep the former on until I find another 150 luck ring to imbue with the Vet and magery.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
As I already got 2 tamers I did not want to add taming to my thunter.

I first started with mystic mage thunter using a rising colossus for tanking, which was good enough to get the job done. I then switched to spellweaver mage thunter, using a summon reaper for tanking as I can get a level 6 arcane circle easily now. It also gets the job done but unlike mysticsm and focus ( 240 skill points) I only need to invest 120 skill points for the tank.

Kelly Daze

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started down the path of a T-hunter. I was going to go with a mystic t-hunter but then decided to changed to a tamer t-hunter. I hardly use my tamer and so thought heck yeah what a way to get my tamer back in some action. I am little nervous with stoning off vet and adding SW. I believe casting gift of renewal and gtr heal will be better then trying to run close to apply an aids. Plus with the pet rez pots. If I need a rez I can always switch skills or get someone to help.

120 taming
120 lore
120 SW
100 cart
100 remove trap
100 lock picking
80 in mage

We will see, I am still working up a couple of the skills and reading what i can since i have never done this before.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I went with the Tamer T hunter, except no LP skill. Level 1-3 can cast unlock on and if its a level 4-5 map I bring in a LP to open it.

Attachments

BlackSheep

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Tamer T-Hunter

120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Magery
100 Lock
100 Cart
100 Remove Trap
60 Meditation

Use a full luck suit, level 3 taming mastery. Park your pet a screen or two away and pull 1 or 2 mobs over at a time. Can run consume damage as well in spurts.