• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Good Necro Pet?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a Dread Spider and a Tsuki Wolf but they are very underpowered and have no room for scrolls.

Anybody find something I can work with. I want to scroll it up, so ill need lots of points.

Heres the pet list:

Necromantic Creatures
  • Dire Wolf
  • Dread Spider
  • Dread Warhorse
  • Hell Hound
  • Hellcat
  • Nightmare
  • Predator Hellcat
  • Shadow Wyrm
  • Tsuki Wolf
  • Vampire Bat
  • Windrunner
A nightmare would be good but it costs 1500 points.

Thanks

Last edited:

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Well forget about the wind runner. I got a couple of them and they are basically nothing but deco, they are a 2-3 slot pet(mind they are only 1 until you start to train then they jump to 2), and to be honest they are barely much stronger than a one slot pet. In fact, crunching the numbers, i figured a regular horse would be a stronger if trained up(both go to 3 slots but horse starts at one). Also, have not heard anything good about the shadow wyrm either.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Shadow Wyrm sucks... just saying... Not found it to be good at all .... If you manage to find a 4 slot one maybe??? but that's a HUGE maybe. Likely it'll be so bad with Stats that it just isn't good at all..

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You forgot bout the ram.

If you are looking to play around, I'd think the ram or Tsuki wolf. You could try a nightmare, but use a 2 slot mare and consider going necromage, either way it'll cost a full round of points, 1501. Personally, I don't think it's worth spending that amount of points just to get necro on a mare, and I was one of those that thought it would be cool to do until I saw the cost. I went with poisoning on my first mare, which was the first pet I took through the process. I made a few goofs along the way with that mare but I'm still going to keep him and try to GM poisoning.

Wyldfyre

Visitor
Might as well take Vampire Bat off the list. Can't be tamed. I was thinking either a hell hound or dire wolf would be best for a necromancer pet.

Wyldfyre

Visitor
Did some testing on TC. Best results I got was a dire wolf pet with horrible stats. I really wanted to get the Life Leech special ability but no matter what I did it never became an option. Just Repel, Mana Drain, and Grasping Claw. I don't feel like taking screenshots so I'll just post the stats I managed to get.

HP 600
Sta 150
Mana 300
Str 250
Dex 150
Int 202

HPR 20
StaR 30
ManaR 30

Resists 80/80/65/70/70

Added Necromancy, Armor Ignore, and Blade Weaving. Does 100% physical damage at 18-25 damage. Fixing to go test out how he does against a dragon. Wish we could up our pets skills on Test with a command :p

Wyldfyre

Visitor
After testing the dire wolf for awhile I've found out that necromancy really isn't worth putting on a pet. The only spells they cast are Blood Oath, Corpse Skin, Evil Omen, Pain Spike, Mind Rot, Poison Strike, Wither, and Strangle. Animate Dead, Summon Familiar, and Vengeful Spirit would all be pretty awesome but would probably be buggy as hell.

None of the forms are used and neither is Curse Weapon. I could not put Life Leech special ability onto the wolf at any point either. All together a rather lack luster pet. I wouldn't even be interested on a necromage nightmare.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there, possibly, a place that has tamable vampire bats? I mean, they didn't just throw that in
the publish notes for naught did they?

I did a cursory look, and have not found a tameable one.

Can a Dev clarify this?

Cheers

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tsuki Wolf and Ossein Ram in that order are my favorites. a 2 slot Nightmare as a necro mage I made is pretty good but still a big chunk of points.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Out of curiosity what did you put on that ram?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of curiosity what did you put on that ram?
I probably should have put a med and focus scroll on him but didn't want to short him any more STR or HP than I already had. But the 30 MR does keep him firing spells and AI off and the LL at a fairly acceptable pace.

DR1.png DR2.png DR3.png DR4.png DR5.png DR6.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I probably should have put a med and focus scroll on him but didn't want to short him any more STR or HP than I already had. But the 30 MR does keep him firing spells and AI off and the LL at a fairly acceptable pace.

View attachment 68157 View attachment 68158 View attachment 68159 View attachment 68160 View attachment 68161 View attachment 68162
Needs 1000 more points to be useful I think.

Can It Kill Navrey? Can it solo Mel? Or stay alive if there's a pet to help it at Mel?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Windrunner has now been "fixed".
It's now a 1 - 4 slot pet with no jumping.

Suetonious

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Unfortunately tsuki wolf is the best necro pet... ive been saying for quite sometime that shadow wyrms need a serious revamp. For years ive wanted to tame one. Now that we finnally can they have zero utility. Id like to see their necro used for pvm primarily. Make the AI focus on wither, curse weapon and at 120 necro ss use vamp form. This would make a great pvm prt without messing with pvp tamer abilities. Oh yeah, make them able to spawn 3. Limit their other abilities, give em AI or fzww and done.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So that is what I was doing a year ago.

Turns out, An AI chiv Ram is the best one.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best Necro pet requires 0 taming. All you need is level 3 Command undead. Grab two Skeletal Dragons from the ratman cage in 3 minutes.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you tested the Windrunner now its a 1 to 4 slot pet, mine is working well and the bonus that its a mount tips the scales in its favour I think.
I'm not good at testing AoE mobs though, I prefer single target but the necro seem to want to attack everything on screen. lol

Deadly Serious

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Have you tested the Windrunner now its a 1 to 4 slot pet, mine is working well and the bonus that its a mount tips the scales in its favour I think.
I'm not good at testing AoE mobs though, I prefer single target but the necro seem to want to attack everything on screen. lol
Where is any website info on Windrunner I can't seem to get any, Starting from 1 slot to 4 slot and mountable in theory seems like the best necro pet to me! The only thing I could say about it is what's it's attack element as they added that Corpse skin block on pets with physical attack? Surely you want the pet to apply corpse skin I mean what other great spells does a necro pet cast/spam currently?

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I have a hell hound that is 4 slot (which is the max currently). He'd be awesome if he went to 5 slots but at 4 slots he has ~500 HP and ~670 STR. One of the main problems is you can't get the max base damage. If he went to 5 slots I could max STR and base dmg and have plenty of room for scrolls and more HP. Also they do physical and fire damage. I think predator hell cats look better but they start with even less STR/HP than hell hounds.

I tamed a Tsuki Wolf today. Actually I tamed 2 and released the lower stat one. I must have lored 20 of them and the best I found had 430 HP and 450 STR so I kept that one. Did they change the skills they start with? Mine only has rage.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No. Nero only costs 1 point. They can also have >150 dex.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Yeah, the one I tamed has 187 dex. Im thinking if I only take AI and Necro, and ~600HP, he might have room for scrolls. Unfortunately I have to wait a week for him to bond.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
the best I found had 430 HP and 450 STR so I kept that one.
That looks pretty good, but how are the resists? With 20 range on each, there is quite a margin you can encounter, and since those are also 3 points per, it can add up quickly. The minimum is 240, the maximum total resists are 340 (theoretically) to start with. So if the resists are crap, you might want to look for another one?

SouthPaw

Lore Master
That looks pretty good, but how are the resists? With 20 range on each, there is quite a margin you can encounter, and since those are also 3 points per, it can add up quickly. The minimum is 240, the maximum total resists are 340 (theoretically) to start with. So if the resists are crap, you might want to look for another one?
Good point!

Mine has 45/62/62/62/56=287 (I guess that's about average based on your post).

365-287=78*3= 234 training point total cost to max resists.

Would be nice if they were higher, but finding that perfect pet with the best HP/STR and resists is nearly impossible.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've seen this often overlooked with a lot of tamers. They focus on hit points and strength or something else and can neglect how important resists are to determining the overall strength of the final animal.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I was curious so I just went out and lored about 20 of them. Most were very close to what mine has, some a little less, and some a little more (typically within 10). Only 1 added up to more than 300 (303) and it had some of the lowest HP/STR I've seen (high 300's).

I really wanted a black or grey one, but without fail they have the worst stats every time (so far).

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was curious so I just went out and lored about 20 of them. Most were very close to what mine has, some a little less, and some a little more (typically within 10). Only 1 added up to more than 300 (303) and it had some of the lowest HP/STR I've seen (high 300's).

I really wanted a black or grey one, but without fail they have the worst stats every time (so far).
Yup I also looked at the resists on quite a few. The resist totals varied a lot les than HP/STR totals. The high HP and Str ones are the ones that gave the most totals from the 3 categories. On the Tsuki wolf. I got a grey but was looking for black also.

Maybe other pet types have a wider variance in resists.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Keep at it Southpaw! (Although the black ones also kept being crap on our lores!) The two we kept so far are as follows:
445 HP, 449 Str, and 54-68-70-54-70 (316)
and the other
418 HP, 435 Str, and 57-67-70-61-68 (323)

We also keep looking for better ones, especially since the HP on the second one isn't too impressive. But haven't gotten to lore in a while, always too many things to do eh?!

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yup I also looked at the resists on quite a few. The resist totals varied a lot les than HP/STR totals. The high HP and Str ones are the ones that gave the most totals from the 3 categories. On the Tsuki wolf. I got a grey but was looking for black also.

Maybe other pet types have a wider variance in resists.
That's why you look at all three, hits, str and resists. For a lot of pets all you have to do is add up all three of those numbers to find which ones are worth taming.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Keep at it Southpaw! (Although the black ones also kept being crap on our lores!) The two we kept so far are as follows:
445 HP, 449 Str, and 54-68-70-54-70 (316)
and the other
418 HP, 435 Str, and 57-67-70-61-68 (323)

We also keep looking for better ones, especially since the HP on the second one isn't too impressive. But haven't gotten to lore in a while, always too many things to do eh?!
Oh wow! That first one is amazing!

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I spent an hour or so this afternoon looking for more Tsuki wolves. Finally found a grey one with very nearly max HP/STR and 294 resists. Sadly, it only has 164 dex, still overcapped though was hoping for one closer to 190 dex.

Found another one with 450 HP and 449 STR. It was light blue though and had low dex and resists.

Last edited:

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Sorry to bump an older thread, but...

I leveled that grey tsuki wolf I had to 5 slots. Gave it AI, mortal strike, and necro. Regretted the mortal strike. It just doesn't last very long and I figured I could have got +200 mana instead. To me, mortal strike is a lot like a spellweaving pet using WoD; you want the pet to use it towards the end of the battle, but it rarely does. Also I set his resists to 75/75/70/70/75, which wasn't bad, but I think I like 80/80/60/65/80 better.

Finally found a black tsuki wolf last night with high STR/HP and also high resists. Think I'll only give him AI/Necro and 80/80/60/65/80 resists.

Question I have is several of the above posters put life leach on the necro pet. Why?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because it is an old thread and they thought it would be good since the pets have low hit points. It does work better now but I will never use it.

I like mortal strike on my ai/chiv pet for mobs that always heal. The mage Mel others. It does shorten those fights. Especially at the end.