• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Good morning Europe!

Corden

Visitor
Hello,

I am "returning" player. The situation is that for some reason I stumbled on Ultima Online once again and decided to go for nostalgia trip. (So there is no guarantees my stay is longer than just that.)

History: In past my UO gaming ranged between '97 to somewhere in 2001-2003, cant really remember that accurately because its so long time since. When I stopped playing UO, my guildies took over my very many accounts and eventually I got paid to say the ultimate goodbye. So unfortunately this nostalgia trip wasnt a jump into all those "7 GM" toons... but rather starting new toon(s); "Bushido? Whats Bushido?!"

Anyhow, its thrilling to play UO again, using the classic client which looks and feels exactly as it used to. I even have it imprinted inside my skull where some trees are annoyingly blocking otherwise so nice running path. After all these years, that's very useful thing to remember.

Back to the present: Yesterday I was asking in General chat where one could purchase a Mark scroll and this lead to someone pouring all kinds of fancy items at me. 100% reduction in reagent costs gear! Wheez! There was mentions of helping new players guild and about some regular events, etc... Since I am very bad at taking notes, often relying on my memory to remember everything, and next day not remembering anything (but still able to remember the location of all those tree stumps!)... So I forgot all about it! Who was that player, what were the details etc... Perhaps recalling to one of those rune book locations could help, but I thought to post in here also since you never know if I found the right forums where all UO players lurk these days.

So I was there yesterday with my "Magery Scribe" alt Arlene. If the player I met yesterday reads this, wave hands! :D

Last edited:

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Hello and welcome back!!!

Id say the best place for you to start and meet new players and veteran players that can answer your questions would be:

The West Brit Bank Meetings that are held daily from 6-7PM UK TIME (7-8 to the rest of Europe)

There you can meet various veteran players that have great amounts of knowledge and should be able to help you with all the questions you have got.
Another good source for info and to see the changes in UO since you left is: www.uoguide.com lots of info is here but you need to know how to find it!

About the guild that recruits new players, thats called the: The Dark Brotherhood, TDBS (I never get right the guild tag...) and its run by @Morbeous
he is always around somewhere, tho I havnt seen him in days, but he would gladly help you out.

I am gonna give you a small heads up to help you out with some things that are now basics on this game.

You wont ever have to use a single reagent ever again and that is because most mages suits have a property called ''Low Reagent Cost'' basic suits for starters already have this mod which means, at 100 LRC, you dont need to carry Reagents anymore.

Lower Reagent Cost - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Also we have another property on mages suits called ''Low Mana Cost'' LMC, 40/55% are the caps depending in the suit material and it means you will use % less mana per spell casted. Example: If a spell needs 10 Mana to cast with 55LMC, you should only need 4-5 mana to cast or so I think.

Lower Mana Cost - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Also another nice thing that we have nowadays so you dont lose your suit is item insurance.

Item Insurance - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Ok I think that will help you to start plus I got to go as I am at work and dont wana get fired!!! Good luck and hope to see you around

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep like the man said come to West Brit bank any day. Best place for returnees and new players to interact.

Corden

Visitor
Thank you for the "Getting started..." list. First evening of my return I popped my first house (to make the alt army more feasible) and second evening I ran around killing things trying to get my melee fighter better and... "Bushido? What is bushido?!". Yesterday I mined alot and also worked up my scribes Magery skill by testing all the graveyards in runebook I received in the help bag.

So yeah google pointed me directly to uoguide.com so I learned about Bushido, Chivalry and... Yeah, then I found my way to stratics forums and read the warriors guide. I show my wife how much of a benefit there is to being oldie UO player despite the game so different now. Immediately starting to use UOA and set up keybinds and use of the UOA Agents. Knowing where spawns are; Yew sheep farms, my trusty early-newbie bandage source. Brit cemetery for getting fighting skills up (and first magic items).

I am gonna try remember the WBB Meeting time and show up (despite not knowing why would I socialize with other people as generally my preference is to focus on "being productive" in a way or another.)

There was an oddity also, got curious about Imbuing but after training the skill from insect-like-guys I was getting a message of needing some expansion to use it. So I went to check the store for it and it very pointedly warned that its only available for new accounts and not for old accounts. My current account isnt really "that old" but couldnt figure out how to make sure purchasing that expansion would link correctly to my account. Going to research more on that once I get my head around to it again.

Edit: There was helpful post under Stratics Stygian Abyss subforum so I found the right place to purchase that expansion. Yay Stratics. :)

Last edited:

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Come to the Brit Bank Meeting and I will gladly sign you up to the guild where you will be able to get help from all the members within. Hope to see you at the meeting.

Katrina Blade

Adventurer
not sure what message you saw for the expansions? My account was 102 months when I quit back in 2005ish, back a couple of weeks now and Ive upgraded to the new expansions no problems.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
not sure what message you saw for the expansions? My account was 102 months when I quit back in 2005ish, back a couple of weeks now and Ive upgraded to the new expansions no problems.
There are two versions of SA - One comes with 30 days game time and is for new accounts, the other is an expansion for existing accounts.

Corden

Visitor
There are two versions of SA - One comes with 30 days game time and is for new accounts, the other is an expansion for existing accounts.
Yes, I must have been confused a little bit when browsing the store.

As I mentioned Wednesday on my reply, Stratics had helpful post which wasnt really rocket science. Following the right link in that post it all seemed to be very clear without any hint of confusion.

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Bushido? What is Bushido?!"

Reminds me a bit of the Avatar in Ultima IX: "What's a paladin?" ;) you'll get used to the newness quicker than you might expect, lots has changed and been added over the years but as you already said your existing knowledge will stand you in good stead.

Welcome back!

Corden

Visitor
I found one of the old UO CLOWN RL meeting videos I made back in the '98 or so... the video is horrible, being old etc... but there is some nice "old UO" jargon and other crap:

Youtube link