• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Good Bye, Good Luck.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is with a sad heart that I am writing this today. As of a couple days ago I have officially shut down all but one account. The game has lost its nostalgia for me. So much has changed in the "wrong" direction that i dont feel like logging in. The Devs and @Mesanna have literally taken this game so far opposite of where i would of liked to see it go its no longer worth playing for me. They continually push in a direction with out fixing old things or renewing old content it boggles my mind. I see countless posts here and other places of old bugs still causing trouble. Scripters are running rampant with no consequences. Real life threats are being left unchecked. Corruption with in the staff is at an all time high.

I have banked what is important to me. I have sold the rest. I have left some random houses up to fall with some goodies for my beloved Idocers. I can no longer support a game that has such a self righteous indignation towards its customers. I can no longer listen to a staff mock its customers at meet and greets. I can no longer pay to play a game in which cheating goes all the way to the top.

I have left one account up so I may help some players from time to time. I will always have ICQ up and on my phone if you need me or have a question. This game has meant a ton to me and always will. I only hope @Mesanna will either see the error in her ways or step down and let someone else take over.

Long live the players.

Good Bye and Good luck,

Scribbles

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sorry to see you go Scribbles :(

I do understand why you came to this decision though, and I don't think anyone can accuse you of being unreasonable about it. There are many others who share the same opinions and have also considered leaving lately.

Thank you for all you have done to improve the UO community over the years. You will always have friends in UO.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wish I had your conviction... I'd follow you. As I share your sentiment... and am not sure how much more I can stand either... pushing my limits as is... Good luck.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
least your kept one account open so there is some hope for you to keep playing. I just got back home I haven't really been on much I was going to do the new bods but when I log in I can't remember what character as what skills to get the new bods. so i put doing the new bods on hold. I figured I would organize stuff I go through 2 chests then log off.I just can't get back into playing right now I'm sitting outside with the dog most of the day, and at night trying to catch up with most of the shows I watch. Once I don't feel so over whelmed I'll start playing more. so hopefully you also will start playing again good luck to you

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
  • It is with a sad heart that I am writing this today. As of a couple days ago I have officially shut down all but one account. The game has lost its nostalgia for me. So much has changed in the "wrong" direction that i dont feel like logging in. The Devs and @Mesanna have literally taken this game so far opposite of where i would of liked to see it go its no longer worth playing for me. They continually push in a direction with out fixing old things or renewing old content it boggles my mind. I see countless posts here and other places of old bugs still causing trouble. Scripters are running rampant with no consequences.

Good luck, you seem like an ok guy.

I agree with a lot of what you have written about here, I've sent a letter to Messana on this exact topic, and was ignored ofc. :(
I also started a post on these forums with these views in mind, and get involved in many topics re the style.

I have been in that quit limbo since April (quit with a 6 month sub running!), I did leave for a month, quit subs, quit pvp, had no reason to log in, but currently, my friends in guild keep pulling me back, I've known them for a long long time. :)

I would stop short of charging them with corruption, I hope not, I've seen no real evidence, if they were, I'd be gutted I guess.

On the positive side, they've brought some good stuff in, imo - they have the ability to do some good stuff;
  • BoD patch. Great content, the shame of it is, crafters have no place in the current UO - this needs to be fixed.
  • Tamer patch - great patch.
  • Shadowguard - good new content, the fact it's only available to tamers is a shame - this needs a fix.
  • Doom upgrade - pretty good, the fact it is only open to Sampires is a disaster - this needs a fix.
On the negative side;
  • Sampires as an all consuming force in PvM - this needs to be fixed.
  • Dexxers and Dexxer mentality as an all consuming force in PvP - this needs to be fixed.
More intelligent players like to play casters, mages etc, UO is traditionally made up of more intelligent, sophisticated players, though you would not be able to see that right now in the way they make us play the game...

Re-vitalise old content - allow recall in Illshenar etc, spread loot out to lower mobs in Dungeons, get rid of so many random item properties.

Give old, very important templates to UO an upgrade and more content- Pure Mages, Rogues, Crafters, Bards.
{I would say fix the economy, fix scripting/cheating in pvp, but I don't know if these are even possible}

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not far behind you just having a hard time closing my 6 oldest accts :) closed 10 of the 20 this morning and as soon as I can reset the PW for the other master acct will close four more on it. Didn't even flinch at closing those. The last 6 though are my 2 original accts and the other four are old but not as old. Just hard to cancel something that has been with you going on 20 years. Disappointment coupled with Anger though I fear is going to be the final motivation.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've dropped out a couple times since 1998 when I started. I haven't logged in in over 2 months and 6 month renewal will be this month. If I can't get the enthusiasm back I'll be dropping out once more. However, this time all things will simply >poof< except for the bank account. I too figured Devs gave a damn, but I can only see it actually getting worse and worse as time goes by.

Be well, Scribbles ... I may not be far behind you.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Sorry to hear that @Scribbles... I hope you decide to stay with your one account open but understand where your coming from. Your definitely good people and brought a lot to the community throughout the years, take your summer break and come back refreshed ;)

Idoc.png

Hehe :p

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is a sad day hearing about another long time player closing a bunch of accounts but at the same time I totally get it! Earlier this year I closed down a dozen accounts because I just wasn't playing as much and they were just storage accounts. I still have 14 accounts that are from the beginning but if things keep going the way they're going in the game I could see dropping another dozen accounts.

I didn't like the way players were being talked down to on some of the recent Q&A events but my biggest complaint is that the TOS isn't enforced! I kind of compare it to how in real life our taxes go to employ Police Officers that enforce the rules/laws. In UO a portion of our monthly subscription rate needs to go towards enforcing the TOS!

Another thing I see players frustrated with is no replies when reporting bugs/issues. It wouldn't be hard to set up a reply that is similar to an out of office reply on email so that people at least know they received it.

I recently lost several friends from UO after we had played for years together. Our play style is that we like to pvm, run shops and do idocs. All three of us linked our shops together with runes and teleporters to help other players in need. If one of us didn't have the item we referred to the other. Well this person we all know who plays UO literally 24/7, farms all idocs on every server, scripts loot and calls us horrible names and lures spawn to kill our pack horses has caused me to lose my two best friends in UO that I've known since 1999. Mesanna is doing nothing to stop this person, literally everyone in the idoc community has nothing but disdain for him. What made it worse was my friend really wanted this rare item and sadly went to this players shop and bid on an item on his safe for a Sonoma Event Item. Well, he went to collect his winning item and found he was banned from the shop. He lost almost 250million gold and was so upset that he was on the verge of quitting not so much because of the gold loss but because he couldn't believe that anyone would manipulate a safe auction in such a way. Well, I lost both of my friends a few weeks ago who said they emailed mesanna over and over to stop this player and nothing is ever done. So I will miss them both. Now that I am alone in UO, I have to decide if I will keep playing or quit myself. Most UO players are old like me, I'm in my lower 50s and we play UO for our old friendships and not to do PayPal sales and not to do horrible things to other players that damage our community. I wish you well Scribbles, you were always a good respectable player. I may be joining you soon too unless mesanna stops this guy and starts addressing the huge loss of core veteran players.

jopromol

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best thing about you @Scribbles was that you always spoke your mind in game and on the forums. You promoted some of the best PVP events I can remember to date and was always an advocate for the community. I respect your opinion on these forums and could always sense your love for this game and what it "used to be" or rather what it "could have been".

It is sad to see a player like you go. I'm glad to have had the privilege of knowing you in this game.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Can we talk about what games people are going to try next? It's a single player game, but Breath of the Wild on the Switch is amazing. It's just fun. It has a lot of similar mechanics to UO too, but I'm not going to stretch that comment so far. I'm just saying you have stuff on the ground and enemies respawn... it's open world... There's a lot to explore.

I always come back to UO. Hope you do too eventually.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
ive tried to push the devs to stop the cheating/unfair practices ect... I have seen many leave due to this. they didn't leave because the of the art, content, or the game in general. the most important issue for me is to have a game that doesn't allow all the cheating/unfair practices, it is in many area of the game. hope to see u soon with a game we can be proud of. just my opinions

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*With the turn of the final page he closes the book and puts his hand on the well worn leather cover*

"Uus Sanct"

*The well worn leather on the book gives a soft glow and with a slight nod of approval the book is placed on a dusty old shelf next to the others. Shiny gold embossed letters on the spine read "Scribbles". With a lingering glance as if saying goodbye to a very old friend, he sits down by the fire. Taps his pipe and settles in for a thoughtful reflection of good times spent with old friends.*

UNKNOWN of Atlantic

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yea I'm with you I have a hard time logging in to sort my TONS of idoc loot from years ago I have had Stored Cus Really I hate sorting for vendors but its how I Got all I have and idocing isn't any fun anymore. I Can remember back when started seeing you at Idocs and then you hooked up with LNR and after I plotted 7x7 in Zoo's Fel area because I thought he was Obsidian Knight & through that Fun :sword: LOL I got to know you & you got to know me. I have Made a A handful of friends in this game by starting out as enemies & through that you really find out who the good guys are & you are one of them. I Guess The devs don't realize this game was the start of not only MMOs but social media... People logged in not just to game but to talk & catch up with friends. This game has so much more than a lot games out there. Look at those spectacular people who decorate houses or design them !! What other game has that? So many good and cool people I have meet at idocs! I have stunned people By helping them & been stunned By others generosity. Like your pvp house drops ah man those was fun LOL even if I only ended up with damn boards!!!!!:facepalm: like you I'm down to one account open full time so I can when the feeling hits me stock some vendors :bdh: . Like you I have said way before the RARES Fiasco there was someone up high doing some shady stuff since friends houses would fall for no reason Due to Credit card not going through but they had all accounts on same Card but house with most stuff worth tons of gold just Decays ... Castle fall in a day happened to same person twice & they watch their houses decay dates. SO yeah I figure one these months I will just say Screw it & sell off all my castles and close all of my accounts for good... Cus yeah I'm playing ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE & having some fun there they are starting to get Ok on housing for décor only right now no storage in them yet ...but who knows down the road!! I don't think any game will ever be ride of scammers/ scripters but you can make it hard for them Not just take the doors off your kingdom & throw up a neon sign Saying "****ters Welcome!"

But I do want to thank you for all the fun times and memories You have given me! ;)

Hate to see ya go but love watching ya walk away :ymca: :danceb: LMAO
UNKNOWN, Joxer the Mighty, Green Leaf, Raven, Ray Stevenson, LOL and your Favorite character name "Forest Breeze" :ten:

P.S. Wont be surprised if I log in & seen one my castles gone after 2 months in of the 3 month game....

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm not far behind Scribbles, and agree with everying you said. Modern UO is just a weird disfigured version of what it once was. I rarely play anymore and only stay current because of my house.

Im thinking sometime shortly after the 20th anniv and event arch I'll be closing my account. For me that just feels like the right time - hit the big 20 and bail.

Anyway, good luck amigo.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm gonna break your finger so you can't click the cancel button :)

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This mean I get my books back you promised if you ever quit? Refresh your memory, when I was Scribbles and changed my name due to your play style. Anyway I hope you remember that promise. Would really love to have my old Scribbles books. thanks

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

Good luck, you seem like an ok guy.

I agree with a lot of what you have written about here, I've sent a letter to Messana on this exact topic, and was ignored ofc. :(
I also started a post on these forums with these views in mind, and get involved in many topics re the style.

I have been in that quit limbo since April (quit with a 6 month sub running!), I did leave for a month, quit subs, quit pvp, had no reason to log in, but currently, my friends in guild keep pulling me back, I've known them for a long long time. :)

I would stop short of charging them with corruption, I hope not, I've seen no real evidence, if they were, I'd be gutted I guess.

On the positive side, they've brought some good stuff in, imo - they have the ability to do some good stuff;
  • BoD patch. Great content, the shame of it is, crafters have no place in the current UO - this needs to be fixed.
  • Tamer patch - great patch.
  • Shadowguard - good new content, the fact it's only available to tamers is a shame - this needs a fix.
  • Doom upgrade - pretty good, the fact it is only open to Sampires is a disaster - this needs a fix.
On the negative side;
  • Sampires as an all consuming force in PvM - this needs to be fixed.
  • Dexxers and Dexxer mentality as an all consuming force in PvP - this needs to be fixed.
More intelligent players like to play casters, mages etc, UO is traditionally made up of more intelligent, sophisticated players, though you would not be able to see that right now in the way they make us play the game...

Re-vitalise old content - allow recall in Illshenar etc, spread loot out to lower mobs in Dungeons, get rid of so many random item properties.

Give old, very important templates to UO an upgrade and more content- Pure Mages, Rogues, Crafters, Bards.
{I would say fix the economy, fix scripting/cheating in pvp, but I don't know if these are even possible}
Again another post about nerfing... why not just ask for fix another template so you can play DF better instead of asking to smash others template.

It's as if sampire won't die in DF, have you tried sampires there? Even while sampire is useful doesn't mean any crappy sampire can do the job right. It's an expensive setup by the way if done correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Luc of Legends

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Goodbye Scribbles. :( You are good guy, I hate to see a old school vet leave, I understand your reasons and I don't blame you a bit. In fact I am probably right behind you and Tyrath,
So long and take care.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
good luck... lets all be honest the game is being screwed up to the tune of EM Events and who can amass the most gold in 1 week from them....and the fact thats its clearly a FTP base with money money add ons ....yet not FTP...

its not the game it used to be....i myself tick along logging form time to time...its hard to let go....so ill keep what i have...

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
New player - "Man, I made 1m in the dungeons this week, pretty cool"
Old Timer - "Man, I've got a collection here worth millions, put together over 15 years! Pretty cool"
Gold Famer - "Man, I did 2 EM events and my script gatherers have been running 24/7 but I didn't hit 12 plat this week, this sucks"
New player and Old Timer - "WTF man, 12 plat in 1 week automatically?!!!, why am I bothering...I'm out"

Rinse and repeat. More will leave soon, the scripts have been passed around freely this year and the bans have been quite sparse. I'm not the best spokesman on this since I'm guilty of writing my own scripts that could run with anyone... but I've seen a lot of people with the same of late, including people who can barely write in english, let alone code. My good vs evil fight was won by the good side but the lack of ToS enforcement was the reason I left. I don't want to HAVE to cheat hardcore to keep up, the game once meant much more to me than that and I hope THAT game returns. soon.

How many more have to quit before @Mesanna listens? We're going to find out.
nail on head.jpg

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've been thinking about what to say....But Ill keep it nice and simple.

I'm not going to wish you well, because I know the real you and how you really act in private, especially how you have acted to some very dear friends of mine. Despite that it still sucks to see someone say they are leaving.

Last edited:

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Old Timer - "Man, I've got a collection here worth millions, put together over 15 years! Pretty cool"
Gold Famer - "Man, I did 2 EM events and my script gatherers have been running 24/7 but I didn't hit 12 plat this week, this sucks"

New player and Old Timer - "WTF man, 12 plat in 1 week automatically?!!!, why am I bothering...I'm out"

Rinse and repeat. More will leave soon, the scripts have been passed around freely this year and the bans have been quite sparse. I'm not the best spokesman on this since I'm guilty of writing my own scripts that could run with anyone... but I've seen a lot of people with the same of late, including people who can barely write in english, let alone code. My good vs evil fight was won by the good side but the lack of ToS enforcement was the reason I left. I don't want to HAVE to cheat hardcore to keep up, the game once meant much more to me than that and I hope THAT game returns. soon.

How many more have to quit before @Mesanna listens? We're going to find out.
sums up 2017 ultima online......could not have put it better....

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never been directly involved with you, but always appreciated the insights you gave here in public. Safe travels!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've been thinking about what to say....But Ill keep it nice and simple.

I'm not going to wish you well, because I know the real you and how you really act in private, especially how you have acted to some very dear friends of mine. Despite that it still sucks to see someone say they are leaving.
Whoa :popcorn:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only dealt with Scribbles a handful of times in game but was always decent as far as I could tell.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah Petra responded earlier about all Mesanna's midnight posts, etc etc and how hard she is working...Yet, I dont see too many posts from her except the one complaining about our complaining...

And yeah, I'll take the black mark on stratics account, and just say it-she has been leading this even when Calvin Crowner was running the show, hell, he wouldnt answer a question without looking to her for permissioin to speak, go watch some of the videos.

This mess, or the last 10 years of it, is all her own making. Laying it off on earlier regimes reminds me of our politicians saying its the fault of a president we had 4 terms ago...

Own up, j\fix it, no more complicated unnecessary routines and additions, fix repair and make useful what we have always had.

Too much gold ingame? drop the drop rates across the board everywhere by 20%.

Power creep? Stop legendaries from spawning, let us just play out what we have and when they are gone they are gone.

Never said it wouldnt be painful, but it can be done. Bringing more overpowered mobs ingame isnt the answer. We don't need spaceships, submarines, more dungeons, more kinds of dinosaurs, ugly ethies to ride, etc etc.

We need what we have fixed.

simple

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah Petra responded earlier about all Mesanna's midnight posts, etc etc and how hard she is working...Yet, I dont see too many posts from her except the one complaining about our complaining...

And yeah, I'll take the black mark on stratics account, and just say it-she has been leading this even when Calvin Crowner was running the show, hell, he wouldnt answer a question without looking to her for permissioin to speak, go watch some of the videos.

This mess, or the last 10 years of it, is all her own making. Laying it off on earlier regimes reminds me of our politicians saying its the fault of a president we had 4 terms ago...

Own up, j\fix it, no more complicated unnecessary routines and additions, fix repair and make useful what we have always had.

Power creep? Stop legendaries from spawning, let us just play out what we have and when they are gone they are gone.

Never said it wouldnt be painful, but it can be done. Bringing more overpowered mobs ingame isnt the answer. We don't need spaceships, submarines, more dungeons, more kinds of dinosaurs, ugly ethies to ride, etc etc.

simple
What giving everything 5,000 hp and 40 HPR on top of high resist didn't make things better :)

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

simple
I blame the previous administration!!!!!!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

simple
I remember those video's... And your right about some stuff... however the powercreep is going to happen regardless because of AoS.... which you can't pin on Mesanna... Way before her time of being someone of DEV... not sure what she was at the time but it wasn't the producer... or a programmer...

What we need is for things to get fixed and for there to be some enforcement of the ToS... I took a trip to Blackthorns every day the last week or so and the same two people were macroing all day all night in Blackthorns in the room with the hellhounds... One in Tram (Who accused me of repeatedly "harassing him"... as I left each time... ) and one in Fel ..... same person every time... all day all night every day.... I wonder when he sleeps???

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hey @Blackie can i use this for my sig.....it sums 2017 UO up... i shant ever leave....ive invested too much of my life as a side hobby ....but the love as all but gone... but ill keep paying for one one account till the end comes.... for us all....as i treasure the olde stuff i have collected...alas it will all end up with the EM junk in the pixel dust but ksara...

can this fit on a sig???