• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tinkering] Golems worth the effort?

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I reached 60 Tinkering and figured I'd make a golem using parts I collected with my peace warrior. I was hoping the golem could protect me in the New Haven mining area where a couple ettin's spawn... no such luck. The golem didn't stand a chance.. not even close. It got worked, in very short order.

Are golems worth the effort of creating and leading around? Is my tinkering just not high enough for them to be of any real power? Can they be trained up by having them kill lower end creatures (lower than ettin's, apparently)?

Thanks!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
maybe... They need to only be made by GM tinkers, and you can heal them with tinkering skill. Yes, they can be trained up to GM - the hard part is keeping them alive while doing it. If you have a friend training healing, fight the golen with a 100% poison weapon, but DON'T do the normal method for training a combat skill on a golem (that keeps it from attacking), instead, let it beat the crap out of you, while someone heals you.

However, IMO it's better to get a fire beetle, let it bond, then train it up to GM. That way, your miner can smelt on the beetle, and a semi-trained fire beetle can take down ettins.

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cool beans. I just hoped the Golems would be fun to play with. It sounds like they are prolly more a novelty than actually useful.

I want a Fire Beetle. And a (Rune?) Beetle.. the one that acts as a pack animal. Ah needs more golds so's I can buy 'em though. Or make a Tamer, I guess. ;)

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What your wanting is the blue beetle. The fire beetle is slightly more difficult to get, in that it is in back of the mine with other stuff. Both require a tamer to get but require no taming to control. What shard are you on, and maybe I or someone else could tame you one of each.

F

Fink

Cool beans. I just hoped the Golems would be fun to play with. It sounds like they are prolly more a novelty than actually useful.
They used to be quite good, and you could have more than one of them, but they got over-nerfed into oblivion due to complaints from tamers. Aside from acting as training dummies they're nearly useless.

F

Fink

The fire beetle is slightly more difficult to get, in that it is in back of the mine with other stuff.
A Stealth Shepherd can get you a fire beetle brought down to the mine entrance for easy taming.

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What your wanting is the blue beetle. The fire beetle is slightly more difficult to get, in that it is in back of the mine with other stuff. Both require a tamer to get but require no taming to control. What shard are you on, and maybe I or someone else could tame you one of each.
I'm on Napa.

I had done some quick searches in the traders forums and it looked like they were quite expensive when purchased. So I've been hanging out around the New Haven mines with a pack mule.

I don't expect anyone to go out of their way to tame them for me (although that would be awesome). But I do hope to eventually acquire them. :)

C

Conrad99

If you still need the beetles PM me. I am on Napa and don't mind taming them for you.

Rotgut Willy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just wanted to say thanks to Conrad for the help. That was very cool of you to tame the beetles for me! It's good to see so many great people playing the game. I've had nothing but good experiences so far.

Thanks again Conrad.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I want a Fire Beetle. And a (Rune?) Beetle.. the one that acts as a pack animal. Ah needs more golds so's I can buy 'em though. Or make a Tamer, I guess. ;)
A Fire Beetle works better for a Miner. Ingots weigh 1/120th as much as a large ore (an ingot weighs 1/10th of a stone while a large ore weighs 12 stone). So, while a Blue Beetle can carry around 133 ore (equivalent to 266 ingots), you can carry around 4.000 ingots if you use the Fire Beetle to smelt the ore.

Another option would be to have a Fire Beetle and a Pack horse (you can't use both a Fire and Blue beetle at the same time because they take too many slots). Use the Fire Beetle as a forge/guardian, and use the Pack Horse to carry up to 16,000 ingots. Personally, I need a break from mining after around 2,000-3,000 ingots, so going with just a Fire Beetle reminds me to take a break now and then.