• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gold Sink: LOTTERY

• Thread starter imported_Skrag
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Skrag

People buy lottery tickets from the bank for 10k. At the end of the week, one random ticket can be dropped on a banker for a prize of... say... 50% of total ticket sales. The other 50% of the gold just goes poof, sinked out of the economy. Simple and efficient. Or maybe you give some kind of rare as the prize, and poof all the money.

And not even lore-breaking. From Wikipedia:

"The earliest records of a lottery offering tickets for sale is the lottery organized by Roman Emperor Augustus Caesar. The funds were for repairs to the City of Rome, and the winners were given prizes in the form of articles of unequal value."
"The first recorded lotteries to offer tickets for sale with prizes in the form of money were held in the Low Countries during the period 1443-1449. Various towns in Flanders (parts of Belgium, Holland, and France), held public lotteries to raise money for town fortifications, and raising money to help the poor."

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why do i have the oddest feeling i have been involved in something like this before?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As I suggested in one of the other threads -

Make the prizes Vine Cord Sandals, and hold the auctions every time a trigger amount of tickets is bought based on the shard population - with no one account able to buy more than 5% of the tickets, and becoming ineligible to win for a week after winning a pair. (And, of course, make the accounts have to have been active for over a month, and paid for - no trial accounts can buy tickets - too young...).

I

imported_Skrag

Enough about the god damned sandals and the 4% resist that apparently makes or breaks PVP. God, you'd think the damn things had 4000 mana regen and made you invincible from the way people cry about them.

I

imported_Coppelia

I doubt it would work with only money to win. I've seen a more rewarding lottery system fail.

If there's other prizes, that's more probable.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My point exactly. Make it to where they are everywhere within a few months of lottery drawings, and the people really whining about the damn things will shut up (of course the dupers will whine about the loss of sales, and the people who BOUGHT dupes will whine about being ripped off, but they deserve it).