• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gold Mine Discovered Part II

EM Mystique

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
When last we left Rose and her band of adventurers they had discovered an abandoned Gold Mine with many great discoveries yet to be unearthed. What will be in store for them This time? ...

Deep within the mine the explorers ran across Nockers and Elementals that were sent ahead by some greater power in order to thwart any further invasion of the Sacred Places. These brave {or some would say foolish} souls found themselves compelled to continue on their journey. Deeper and deeper into the cave they followed the path laid before them, finding ominous witness to unkind acts of greed.
Distant groaning spurred the adventurers onward if for nothing more than curiosity in what would make such a soulful noise. Rounding a bend, discovering more elementals and Nockers, the assembled found a beautiful statue of a young girl. The statue was made entirely of gold. It glistened in the dim light of the cave and the expression on the figure was not typical of what would be found in a gallery exhibit. The question on everyone’s mind was what would such a lovely piece be doing down in this hole? Something with this amount of detail and feeling should be displayed in a gallery.
Then the doll was discovered and things began to make sense. A small rag doll lay at the foot of the statue with a “D” embroidered on the back of the dress. The dust and dirt that had collected on the doll indicated that it had been there for quite a long time.
The moaning continued and now was gaining clarity. Standing not far from the golden statue was an apparition of a man. He looked ragged and in deep despair as he repeated the same lines over and over.

“My beautiful Daphne! What have I done?”
“Oh Woe is me, for what I have done to my precious girl!”

On and on the wayward Spirit cried and wailed. It had become quite clear that the statue was his daughter, and her name was Daphne. Things began to suddenly come together and make sense. The legends of a greedy King were true!
The only thing left was to discover the way out of the cursed mine. And the only thing in that area, other than the doll, untouched in gold was the throne of King Midas. It was worth the risk to escape the miserable place of heartache and despair.
Knocking on the wood of the throne proved a productive discovery as those who tried it were whisked out of the mine and back to the entrance. Many remained curious and desired to find more of the cursed treasure, some wandered away in sorrow to discover what more could be found in that hole.
Rose Blaque returned to find her Wolf companion BriarPatch hoping that his comfort would ease her troubled mind. The horror of such a discovery was troubling as well as curious. Something else was down there, and she needed to find it! Maybe BriarPatch and his keen smell would be able to discover more of the mine’s secrets.

~*~

Stay Tuned for more adventures of Rose Blaque and BriarPatch...

EM Mystique

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Sniffing around the cave BriarPatch followed a particularly strong scent leading to a set of rails. The rails disappeared into a darkness that was foreboding but the White Wolf sauntered in without fear. Rose watched a moment and tried to call him back but her echo fell unnoticed as BriarPatch vanished into the great unknown.
She tried to retrace his steps but found nothing indicating there was a way to follow.
“Where did you Go?” she lamented staring at the void, her hands on her hips.
A cold shudder breathed across the back of her neck making her skin crawl and all her senses to suddenly be on full alert. Something was horribly horribly wrong but she had no way of knowing what it could be. Wishing for the friendly Nockers to return and be useful in unveiling these secrets Rose tried in vain to knock on cave walls to summon them.
“Please show me the way.” she pleaded.
Rose came to the heart sickening realization that she would need to leave BriarPatch and hope to return for him another time. Returning to the surface she was brought to tears to see the large Wolf laying under a tree at the entrance as if he had been there the whole time.
“Oh you Silly pup! How you worried me so! Don’t you do that to me again, you hear me.” she exclaimed rushing to him and throwing her arms around his thick neck crying in his fur. “I thought I would not see you again. That mine has a wicked way about it.”
The time soon came where another exploration would be required. There were far too many questions left unanswered in that Mine. The Shadows that Rose felt, more than saw, gave her a sick chill but also woke in her heart a deep curiosity and drive to find the force behind it all. She would most likely regret the decision, but then again she could find something wonderful!

EM Mystique

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Rumblings and constant quakes offered little to ease her feeling of dread. The growing heat off the boulders and earth walls would have made normal people turn the other way, but common sense was dimmed by curiosity.
BriarPatch was especially on edge and was continually growling at unseen threats. His hackles stood on end making him look almost twice his normal size. As an elf Rose should have known to heed the warnings of the “Nature” walking next to her. When his stance turned to a menacing offensive posture she stopped mid stride.
A tall elegant woman, adorned in a soft pink, was kneeling by a newly placed urn. She seemed to be etching marks into the clay of the pottery just before she lightly touched it with her finger setting it ablaze. A soft sing song voice in a lilting echo set the shadows dancing just before she vanished from sight.
Pulling a small notebook from her pocket Rose carefully strode to the place where the woman had knelt to study the carvings. Reaching out to touch the urn and flame a bolt of lightning shot her across the room like an arrow. Regaining her wits she managed to sit against the wall and scribble a few notes in her journal, which she had managed to hold tightly to despite the impromptu flight.

An amazing sight to be sure! The woman who knelt in front of the urn then lit it with a mere touch of her finger was tall and elegant and of a countenance I have never before encountered. She was quite beautiful to be sure, yet simple in her manner and attitude. Her voice was a lilting melody when she spoke, almost as if she were in constant song. The flame has a bit of a pink hue to it, quite unique to be sure.
Investigating further the urn holds newly etched symbols and letters, still soft from her touch. I put my own finger into the grooves that the other woman made and the energy that poured into my being was like a lightning bolt knocking me clear to the other side of the space. I had images running in my mind, flooding my thoughts and emotions.
A secret word, a hidden passage, a world deep within… Images and Etchings.
Glancing back to the urn the only thing I could see and hear was a faint echo of a name. it wasn’t from her voice, but of another. Midas? Could it be that King Midas was speaking the name of the mysterious woman? Persephone, her name is Persephone.

EM Mystique

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Journal:

Of all the Nerve! I never!
This place is completely Disgusting! Can you Imagine! Drool Encrusted Shackles, and they are expecting me to Wear these miserable things!
That Persephone woman better really be a catch for all this trouble! And this Hades fellow! He is a most foul, vile sort to be sure!
*stops to ponder the events of the recent past with a heavy sigh of lonely remorse*
I do miss the lovely Citizens of this land! They fought so bravely and valiantly for a cause they really did not understand, only to be sent away for yet another quest at a stranger’s demand.

EM Mystique

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Journal:
I have heard distant rumblings in the cave walls. It is quite frightening to know Im here alone with nothing more than the candles and skeletons for company. Although I must say I think I have heard something of what the old miners may have thought they heard. I know there are Guardians of the Mines. The Nockers have already been witnessed. Maybe that is the sound I have heard. I hope it is.

*startles at a clicking noise followed by a whimpering howl*

Oh no! My poor BriarPatch! He ran into a flame trap. I know he came to see me, but now I don’t know if he is alive, dead or badly injured. He did not come to me, please find some assistance! I do hope help will come soon! This whole thing is awfully silly.
I am compelled to know who this Persephone character is! She seems to be a lot of trouble. Or maybe its merely the obsession of a jealous lover? Whatever the case may be I would truly wish to hear from her soon! To at least explain her disappearance. What could she possibly want with us?