• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Going Gumshoe...an Investigative Report

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Larisa submitted a new Article:

Going Gumshoe...an Investigative Report

With publish 101 comes a new and exciting quest! Ever fancy yourself an investigator? Love the science of forensics? Well this quest is for you!

The latest news from the Town Cryer.....the Royal Brittainian Guard Detective Branch. Speak to a Town Cryer to accept this quest.

You've heard rumblings of Pagan Cultists causing petty crimes in the more upscale sections of Britannia's cities, but to your understanding these are sympathizers taking advantage of fear to make some easy coin. Still, if the Crown is rolling our a new division of the RBG to investigate...something...you bet there's an opportunity for you! You should find Inspector Jasper and inquire further.

So lets...
Read more about this article here...

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks @Larisa . I have to say, the "grind" involved for this quest is horrible/pitiful. I messed around with it some last night, then said to heck with it, and logged. Now trying to decide whether is is even worth bothering with. I swear, it gets harder and harder to want to log into this game any more. I did see where (I HOPE/SUPPOSEDLY) the devs finally fixed Anon, but honestly, even that hasn't tempted me to bother to log in and verify it. @Bleak @Kyronix

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah it was a bit of a PITA, and the weird clues for the ciphers were less then stellar...though thanks to an Ultima Geek ;) who posted the lore and history behind all of this on uo.com forums, it helps a LITTLE....to at least know the history and that those weird clues were, indeed, related to Ultima history.

Sinder Shayde

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
@Larisa , I would like to say a big Thank You to you, for doing this step by step guide.
I swear it would have taken me forever to get through this, much appreciated. :)

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
You are more then welcome Sinder! I am always glad to help, but could not have done it without the help from others...those darn cipher clues were a pain!

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The deco and atmosphere of the quests are good, but the passwords are impossible to find out on my own. I need to rely on the spoiler notes here to finish the quest. I prefer simple riddles which can be resolved by myself though. Luckily, I still have the interests and patience to read spolier’s posts.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Many thanks to each and every one of you that worked to figure this out.
There is no way, NO WAY my little brain could have ever figured this out.
Discounts to all of you for services in Moonglow!

Haidon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
"There is no way, NO WAY my little brain could have ever figured this out"

I believe this is true for the VAST MAJORITY of the player base. Without the guides provided in this and other threads and a little bit of insider information to get things started, I think this quest would have been a complete failure.

I think it is just sad really that the creator(s) of this quest are so out of touch with the game and the player base in general. Just my opinion.

Thanks to all that contributed in any way to the regular player's ability to complete this so called quest.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"There is no way, NO WAY my little brain could have ever figured this out"

I believe this is true for the VAST MAJORITY of the player base.
Not sure about vast majority but I also have little brain syndrome. LBS

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I don't think that the cipher part was that difficult in itself, the problem was a lot of the wording could have been better, such as implying we needed numbers when we didn't and not letting us know that the answers were closer to names than just random words. These two things caused a lot of people to go in the wrong direction and then even when they did try to get answers using ciphers, the answers just didn't look like they made sense. Also I think that everything should have been worked out from within the game by following the clues, not requiring you to go and look at a website for ciphers or using lore from Pagan which was not the most popular Ultima game.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We just took a tour bus thru on LS. I would have never gone past the brit graveyard on my own.

The book cases are not done well. 5 of us there and we had it change 3 times. We finally found the book.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Bumping this up for the last minute peeps who need to get 'er done.

North_LS

Journeyman
yeah. the idea of the quest was alright, but the tedium and lack of clues was enough to make one want to punch a baby. better clues and a more streamlined interface (ie. a double click instead of having to use a bunch of different useless skills, some with cooldowns, on tile after tile) would go a long way.

James [W^H]

Slightly Crazed
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i ma having issues with the bookcases. Do I have to open them for detect?
No, This is a real hard area and the location is random and changes frequently. Just keep trying and moving around until you get the message that something is hidden, then use the Detect Hidden skill on each bookcase in your area.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, This is a real hard area and the location is random and changes frequently. Just keep trying and moving around until you get the message that something is hidden, then use the Detect Hidden skill on each bookcase in your area.
This but be quick about it as the book often moves about every 15 min... so while it may be right there when you start trying it will move so every now and again try walking about and getting the message again... if you don't it's moved you'll need to go looking for it again.

The other thing if you are on a Gargoyle go buy up some detect hidden or you won't ever find the book.

Chazztizer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Done!! Thanks Larisa,
As many has posted above.........sad to say I could not have done this without you......at least I had Stones :>)

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is so totally not fun I want to walk away and not bother but I persist.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm on Origin doing the quest and I can't get the message for the book to pop up. I'm running around on an elf with GM detect. Getting a little frustrated.

EDIT: Of course after posting I finally get it. Took 6 rounds before getting a message.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've done over 1000 chests so far and no relics of anything - kinda ridiculous if you ask me

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm on Origin doing the quest and I can't get the message for the book to pop up. I'm running around on an elf with GM detect. Getting a little frustrated.

EDIT: Of course after posting I finally get it. Took 6 rounds before getting a message.
Had the same problem on Origin. Was worse than any other shard for getting the message to pop up.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
You get the message that the your keen senses detect that the library has been disturbed. You detect hidden on all bookcases 4 times and you don't find the bloody book.
Whoever designed this part of the quest hates players.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You get the message that the your keen senses detect that the library has been disturbed. You detect hidden on all bookcases 4 times and you don't find the bloody book.
Whoever designed this part of the quest hates players.
They have no clue how game mechanics really work or how annoying they are to players to stand there and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait and wait for that f'ing timer over and over and over and over and over and over and over again... fortunately for me I was with 3 or 4 others each time I've done it and was on an Elf or Human... I wouldn't dream of trying it on a character like a Gargoyle with 0 skill... Where we were talking in Discord about systematically hitting each bookshelf and such... uping our chances 10 fold... those who persist on not using voice chat to play are only hurting themselves IMO unless of course they like the torment of wasting countless hours doing things that others can do in just moments... but I digress... Honestly I don't think I'd be playing UO still if it weren't for good friends and voice chat.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are a Gargoyle you have to buy detect hidden. That is the worst part of the quests.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Got to the part where you talk to sage. Then went back to jasper - my quest is gone but I have no necklace and I cannot get past the guards.

Wasted evening - thanks for all the good times UO.

Edit; FFS, found this on the other forum. Quest completion triggers are a dumb design.

"Turns out if you have a rune to inside the shop you have to leave and come back in through the door before the reward is given."