• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Lock Picking] GM'ing Lock Picking

Jayden Rose

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi guys/gals! Just returning after many years of being away from UO. I have a questions sbout GM'ing lockpicking.

In the past I GM'ed by using 200 gm made lock boxes and many hours of picking them. Is this still the best way to go about it? I just don't want to buy a ton of boxes if this is not the best method. Thanks for the advise!

Missed you all! Good to be back!

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used 1 gm made box with a lock / unlock macro on a loop in the EC. this took me to 95 then I used a 5.0 SOT

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can also use the satyr trick to get discorded and it will (I think) allow you to get to GM if you don't want to buy a SOT for the last part.

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I used an alacrity scroll and the spawning chests in the Yew crypts for the last 5 points. Mark a rune for the crypt, eat a scroll, pick chests to get a gain, recall home, log out, repeat the next day, etc. It takes a week or two from 95-100 and you can't log the character in for anything else or you'll run out of time on the scroll but it works.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How were you able to loop a macro in EC? Ive been trying to find a way to do this without any luck...
I make the macro and test it out. Then open up my character file in notepad, find the lines for that macro and just copy and paste them over and over. Reload the game and then set it to repeat x10.

Technically its not a indefinite loop but it will pretty much run all day long!

JeepGoesBeep

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Awesome...I never thought of repeating it over and over in the macro that many times and then doing that 10x. I dont even need all day heh, just a few hours here and there will work since I sit and watch attended...

thanks again!

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I used 1 gm made box with a lock / unlock macro on a loop in the EC. this took me to 95 then I used a 5.0 SOT
I know this is some months old post but do you remember what your level was when you started using the GM box? I have a new character with 35 LP wanting to train him up.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You must have gone through a pile of Lock picks?
I can't remember as it was a couple of years ago. I have GM tinker so making them is pretty easy. If I was going to do it again I would just use a mythic token to start with 90 skill and then just buy SOTs to finish it off to 100. I just don't have the patience any more!

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You must have gone through a pile of Lock picks?
I had my gm tinker make a box and 100 LP just to get started. My picker is 52.0 and has gone through 40 of the picks. Lucky I am right next to a mine so picks are easy to keep making. Gains seems to be pretty good. The ball says very challenging and I have yet to pick the lock. Good tip Thanks

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I make the macro and test it out. Then open up my character file in notepad, find the lines for that macro and just copy and paste them over and over. Reload the game and then set it to repeat x10.

Sorry if my question is silly but I really cannot find the answer by myself .

I raised my lockpicking the "hard way" up to 92 but now I gain very slowly, I wanted to make a macro on the EC client to get me as high as possible on my GM tinker box but I don't get how this one works, I mean this would be for a chest/box that you never manage to unlock, right ? Or I missed the re-locking the box part of it :p

Also in the macros described for UOA there is an IF condition : IF the box unlocks after your lockpick attempt you use the key to lock it, is there a way to make that IF in the EC ?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
yes you have to lock it back. but, I never bothered with the "if" when I was training - I just ran the macro, making 1 or two picking attempt per box in a set of 20 boxes (back when there was code that made gaining off a single boxes almost impossible), then had the macro use the key ring on all of them (a lot of people have forgotten key rings over the last decade, which combine multiple keys into one object for macros). I'd have macros set up for all three chests of 20 boxes at the local training house (which, ironically, was passed to me when the old head of THB on my shard left a decade ago, and I've moved it twice since)

Having attempts fail because some of the boxes were unlocked were just part of the territory, but I went back at the end of a session and re-locked everything so that when I came back hours or days later, I'd start with all locked boxes.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh well ... thinking about installing CC just to grab UOA just to have a macro that does everything by itself :p
Or just leave off the GM chests and go for dungeon chests, less boring

THanks for the answer anyway :D

Meshak

Visitor
Stratics Veteran

I don't see the third icon in the macro menu, perhaps they changed it? I tried to set one up, but on the second try, it tells me the box is unlocked. I can't drag a keyring to the macro bar. Do I have to get the single key and use that. Anyway, I would love to hear how one actually sets up the macro, step by step. I used to use UO Assist in the classic client and everything was easy to set up. Not so much with the EC, but I'm committed to the EC and want to do it. Any suggestions?\

Thanks

Meshak

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see the third icon in the macro menu, perhaps they changed it? I tried to set one up, but on the second try, it tells me the box is unlocked. I can't drag a keyring to the macro bar. Do I have to get the single key and use that. Anyway, I would love to hear how one actually sets up the macro, step by step. I used to use UO Assist in the classic client and everything was easy to set up. Not so much with the EC, but I'm committed to the EC and want to do it. Any suggestions?\
The 3rd item in the macro is "cursor target current" which can be found under the actions menu under "cursor targeting".

The macro is as follows:

Lockpicks, wait for target, cursor target current then 1.5s delay. Then it just repeats over and over. Make sure the chest is selected as the target when u run the macro. Double click a lockpick then the chest manually before you run it also.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Code:
			<UserAction type="Macro" id="24" iconId="2028" name="Lockpicking" repeatEnabled="true" repeatCount="10" binding="">
				<UserAction type="UseObjectType" id="351993856" iconId="5371" targetType="Cursor" iconObjectType="0" iconObjectHue="0" />
				<UserAction type="WaitForTargetCursor" id="0" iconId="618" targetType="Cursor" />
				<UserAction type="CursorTargetCurrent" id="0" iconId="643" targetType="Cursor" />
				<UserAction type="Delay" id="0" iconId="623" targetType="Cursor" delay="1.50" />
				<UserAction type="UseObjectType" id="351993856" iconId="5371" targetType="Cursor" iconObjectType="0" iconObjectHue="0" />
				<UserAction type="WaitForTargetCursor" id="0" iconId="618" targetType="Cursor" />
				<UserAction type="CursorTargetCurrent" id="0" iconId="643" targetType="Cursor" />
				<UserAction type="Delay" id="0" iconId="623" targetType="Cursor" delay="1.50" />
				<UserAction type="Delay" id="0" iconId="623" targetType="Cursor" delay="2.00" />
			</UserAction>

Val Halla

Visitor
Ok So I am a bit of a noob when it comes to macros and stuff, but I think, thanks to some of the info given by Djad above, I have come up with a work around for the problem of unlocking a box in the 30 to 76 skill range and needing a line in the macro to re lock the box.

This is for when you are not using a GM tinkered box and using either a 30/30 tinker box or a 50/50 tinker box (depending on your level).

0 - 30 Buy from NPC
30 - 50 Use a 30/30 tinker box (create a new char with 30 tinker/30 carp)
50 - 76 Use a 50/50 tinker box (create a new char with 50 tinker/50 carp)
Confirmation needed 76 skill is the change over. It will be obvious, just switch to GM box as soon as poss.
76 - 95 Use a GM tinker box
95 - GM. Level 4 dungeon chests
(thanks to nightshark for this info)

Essentially my macro does this:

Target lock picks, wait for target, target last object, wait 1.5 seconds, target key (make sure you only have 1 box and 1 key in your backpack or the macro will find the other keys and it wont apply the right key to the right box), wait for target, target last (chest), wait 1.5 seconds - loop this 10x and cut and paste it in your characters document.

Your characters document is located here:

documents - EA games - Ultima Online Stygian Abyss - User Data - Your characters name - Your servers name

Important:
Make sure you click the lockpicks and click the chest and be unsuccessful before running the macro for the first time.

Note:
The macro will attempt to unpick the chest and regardless of whether successful of not it will then use the key on the chest.
Great - if you were successful in your lockpicking attempt - the macro relocks the chest - loops to repick the now locked chest again - yay - it rinses and repeats.
If not successful in the lockpicking attempt - the macro unlocks the locked chest - loops to repick the chest - it is already open - boo - but not to worry.
The macro will then lock the chest again.
So yes - while some small time is lost in unlocking the locked chest when you want to pick it - the macro will run all day long - depending on how many times you cut and paste it in notepad - all you need is alot of lockpicks and a box that will give you gains (see above regarding levels).

Where to cut and paste my macro in your characters document:

Open up the file appertaining to your characters name (use notepad) - scroll down to the section marked Macros (make a simple macro first so that the section begins and ends with the right macro lines) i.e:

<Macros>
Your macro data
</Macros>

If you haven't already created a macro - all you will see in the notepad is one line:

</Macros>

- so either make a simple macro and exit game so it saves - or simply cut and paste my macro over the single macro line in your characters document:
Code:
		<Macros>
			<UserAction type="Macro" id="1" iconId="19" name="LP" repeatEnabled="true" repeatCount="10" binding="">
				<UserAction type="CursorTargetLast" id="0" iconId="644" targetType="Cursor" />
				<UserAction type="UseObjectType" id="269352960" iconId="4110" targetType="Cursor" iconObjectType="0" iconObjectHue="0" />
			</UserAction>
		</Macros>
This will run the macro just ten times

If you want to cut and paste multiple times in the notepad document then just paste this section over and over:
Code:
				<UserAction type="UseObjectType" id="269352960" iconId="4110" targetType="Cursor" iconObjectType="0" iconObjectHue="0" />
and just to ensure you are pasting it in the right place - it goes here (where I have typed HERE HERE HERE):

Code:
		<Macros>
			<UserAction type="Macro" id="1" iconId="19" name="LP" repeatEnabled="true" repeatCount="10" binding="">
				HERE HERE HERE
			</UserAction>
		</Macros>
Hope this helps.

Last edited: