• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Glacial pickaxes illegal to own now?

WootSauce

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So one of these came up for sale in an auction on ATL this past weekend, and several people stated that GM Quinn had confirmed that these are now delete on sight? I know when glacial clothing was reverted to grey color, there was a lot of discussion on what other items would be legal / illegal. I thought that it was decided that spellbooks and weapons would be ok? Does anyone have any confirmation on this (screeshots or email exeprts) from someone in game stating that these are now illegal?

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So one of these came up for sale in an auction on ATL this past weekend, and several people stated that GM Quinn had confirmed that these are now delete on sight? I know when glacial clothing was reverted to grey color, there was a lot of discussion on what other items would be legal / illegal. I thought that it was decided that spellbooks and weapons would be ok? Does anyone have any confirmation on this (screeshots or email exeprts) from someone in game stating that these are now illegal?
I had two glacial weapons on auction safes on one of my houses that were added only about a week or two ago by one of the co-owners on the house. Logged in over the weekend and their hues were reverted.

Upon calling a GM, we were informed that "glacial spellbooks are OK" and that "any other item is not" (GM Quinn's precise words).

It's the first I am seeing of this as I also had sold glacial pickaxes on safes in the past 12 months without issue. A word to the wise for anyone else attempting to sell glacial hued items.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Exact quote from the GM.

I have one or two hunches here:
1) There is a new GM who isn't up to speed on certain topics where action was not previously taken

2) Another well-known rares trader, whom will not be named, has been making significant efforts to page on anyone with glacial items to boost the value of their own which are successfully hidden away

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Exact quote from the GM.

I have one or two hunches here:
1) There is a new GM who isn't up to speed on certain topics where action was not previously taken

2) Another well-known rares trader, whom will not be named, has been making significant efforts to page on anyone with glacial items to boost the value of their own which are successfully hidden away
Now shouldn't a developer be able to locate every and any item they searched the database for?

ElIoT

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Something I still don’t understand. Many games have more success based on the cosmetic transmog items. Something that’s purely cosmetic and used for deco, why would it be illegal. If there is such high demand for glacial items, just release a dye tub in the uostore and profit from it. Why would they deem something illegal that people want and collect. Doesn’t make sense to me

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Something I still don’t understand. Many games have more success based on the cosmetic transmog items. Something that’s purely cosmetic and used for deco, why would it be illegal. If there is such high demand for glacial items, just release a dye tub in the uostore and profit from it. Why would they deem something illegal that people want and collect. Doesn’t make sense to me
Because someone rubbed it in Mesanna face

Lieutenant Dan!

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Being no longer obtainable and illegal / border line illegal is what gives the items value in most collectors eyes.
If it was the hue alone then peole would be out farming artic death dealers to put on their auctions safes.

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've sold plenty of glacial weapons and spellbooks but someone decided to page on two of my safes that have been up for weeks at Merlin's Zento house and apparently now any glacial item that is not a glacial spellbook or one of the few legal EM items are delete/alter on sight. Still waiting to hear back from Mesanna for double clarification but as far as GM Quinn is aware this is now the case.

1682380055459.png

Quinn did mention that theres a UO.com post somewhere that states which glacial items are okay and which are not, but couldn't direct me to it or comment on any of my other questions. The conversation boile down to the response I posted above. So If you buy or have any glacial items that are not EM Items or spellbooks turn them in or hide them.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Personally I think the issue is as folks get older.. their memory declines and they honestly forget what they said was illegal and/or legal. So eventually you get to the point where they are just guessing and decide to err on the side of caution saying "it's all illegal"...

I mean, I can't be the only one in the UO universe that memory decline is hitting
:p

Sithas

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Personally I think the issue is as folks get older.. their memory declines and they honestly forget what they said was illegal and/or legal. So eventually you get to the point where they are just guessing and decide to err on the side of caution saying "it's all illegal"...

I mean, I can't be the only one in the UO universe that memory decline is hitting
:p

You could be on to something there..... as many of you loose your hair, the next step will be shave off all glacial hair and beards to keep up with the times. :)

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is incredibly stupid. Out of all possible things, they go back on THIS topic!? After already deleting tens of plats worth of people's legally obtained pants/bandana's and already openly declaring that these other items are legal to own!? Ridiculous.

If anyone can get solid proof of this being a thing and not just a GM that has no idea what they're doing, preferably directly from Mesanna or Kyronix, please post it and report your own post to the moderation team so we see it. This affects the Stratics trade forum rules as well since we don't allow delete on sight items to be sold here.

We've been telling people that their glacial items are ok to post as long as they aren't made of cloth but would have to update the rule to exclude everything but spellbooks if this turns out to be a new in-game policy.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why glacial color is illegal at all? This is just a hue with a number .
Reminisce of a time that left a very bad taste in their mouths - AKA doggy dupe era.

The original glacial hued items were named and created through the EM program or UO Contests, i.e. dagger, knife, banana, pic axe, and spell book. Then doggy dupe mass produced them followed by a patch that wiped out 99% of the original named glacial hued items (only a couple of them survived).

I don't believe these items hurt the mechanics of the game in anyway, which was the original reason why illegal items were removed in the first place i.e. portable forge/anvil etc...

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just a GM that has no idea what they're doing

See to me that's what i'm thinking but i'm also hearing from others that an EM was saying the same thing a few months back, clarification is definitely needed from the devs on this topic and would be ridiculous if illegal now

@Kyronix

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is incredibly stupid. Out of all possible things, they go back on THIS topic!? After already deleting tens of plats worth of people's legally obtained pants/bandana's and already openly declaring that these other items are legal to own!? Ridiculous.

If anyone can get solid proof of this being a thing and not just a GM that has no idea what they're doing, preferably directly from Mesanna or Kyronix, please post it and report your own post to the moderation team so we see it. This affects the Stratics trade forum rules as well since we don't allow delete on sight items to be sold here.

We've been telling people that their glacial items are ok to post as long as they aren't made of cloth but would have to update the rule to exclude everything but spellbooks if this turns out to be a new in-game policy.
Okay a lot of people have been asking me if I reached out to Mesanna about the issue and I had not, but I changed my mind and reached out this morning. This is the response I recieved when I asked about glacial weapons, clothing, basically anything non-EM related and mentioned my conversation with GM Quinn.

1682534370888.png

So beyond legally released EM items that are glacial in color the only Legal glacial items to own are glacial spellbooks, and of course the actual glacial items that spawn in the game, staff, artic death dealer etc. No butcher knives, pickaxes, or daggers will be left unaltered if discovered and or paged on.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
because they would be the logic thing to do.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
as far as i know, only spell books, pickaxes and daggers are legal. any clothing or others weapons are not. ive been asking for a link on patch page with list of all illegal items and list of items not supposed to be in game but are made legal. how is anyone new or old supposed to keep track. so many have been burned because of lack of info. from devs. if we had official list from the devs, ONE THAT WAS EASY TO FIND, we wouldn't have excuse about getting burned and any new unknown item can get reported and addressed whether illegal or not before people get burned, "AGAIN". just my opinions

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Even if the developer commented that it was legal to own it, I think there's always a chance that any item whose provenance is unclear will be removed.
Those judgments tend to fluctuate from time to time.
You should carefully consider the risks when purchasing or trading such items...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
In a perfect world, we would have developers that would be a bit more proactive with sharing information on what items they are going to deem to be illegal, and better yet, to share some of their thoughts behind the matter. Even if people disagreed, being forthcoming and communicating reason goes a long way. What we have now is a system where the customers are forced to use back channels to obtain this information, and then screen shot emails and share them around the community as proof. Worse yet, some folks clearly knew about this before others and were able to use this to their advantage to sell their own items and page on others. I have just not seen these types of action happen in other community except for ours, but I digress.

I agree with Eliot's sentiment that other games have had great success selling vanity items such as outfits and there is no reason why ours shouldn't have more. Sure, the value of some 'rares' might decrease if certain hues popped up in the store by way of dyes or clothing, but I would gander that the revenue generated for the game from those items is more important in the long run. Sadly, that's all speculative and unlikely to come to fruition.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In a perfect world, we would have developers that would be a bit more proactive with sharing information on what items they are going to deem to be illegal, and better yet, to share some of their thoughts behind the matter. Even if people disagreed, being forthcoming and communicating reason goes a long way. What we have now is a system where the customers are forced to use back channels to obtain this information, and then screen shot emails and share them around the community as proof. Worse yet, some folks clearly knew about this before others and were able to use this to their advantage to sell their own items and page on others. I have just not seen these types of action happen in other community except for ours, but I digress.

I agree with Eliot's sentiment that other games have had great success selling vanity items such as outfits and there is no reason why ours shouldn't have more. Sure, the value of some 'rares' might decrease if certain hues popped up in the store by way of dyes or clothing, but I would gander that the revenue generated for the game from those items is more important in the long run. Sadly, that's all speculative and unlikely to come to fruition.
I think an important point to remember is that if these sort of items were monetised in the store, the supply would increase and the desire/demand for them decrease as they became readily available. There is a good reason people like these sort of items, in that the rarity itself of them is a major draw.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think an important point to remember is that if these sort of items were monetised in the store, the supply would increase and the desire/demand for them decrease as they became readily available. There is a good reason people like these sort of items, in that the rarity itself of them is a major draw.
Replace rarity will illegality and exactly right

ElIoT

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
True, but if they did add it to the uo store, broadsword would have full control of the value of glacial items and the demand would decrease substantially because the supply increases. Does this hurt the rares collectors, yes a bit. But the alternative is, you don’t display your item due to the risk of it being altered by a GM. The glacial weapons were never worth a huge amount of gold anyway unless it had the original item name on it. And the clothing is worthless because it’s delete on sight. Just give the people a cool hue to obsess over and make it legal.

Outlaw Torn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let's not worry about glacial items and more about the Oni farming script in the fan dancer dojo and slims auto bot script being ran into the ground....

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So pick axes are illegal now ? I bought from someone here a few months ago not there fault but back then they were ok to own and now we cant after all these years? dont they have better things to do like stop the 4 scripters on pac that run 24-7 lol

I so wish we had a leader that would be reliable and not erratic in discussion making like a meth attic / junky
funny thing I was going to email her tonight to out a historic banner up at the house that has the pick axe lol

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
maybe this topic of glacier items should be on main page?
I just happen to click on this thread be chance ...

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So pick axes are illegal now ? I bought from someone here a few months ago not there fault but back then they were ok to own and now we cant after all these years? dont they have better things to do like stop the 4 scripters on pac that run 24-7 lol

I so wish we had a leader that would be reliable and not erratic in discussion making like a meth attic / junky
funny thing I was goinbg to email her tonight to out a historic banner up at the house that has the pick axe lol
She has shown time and time again that she is unfit lets derail NL for months for mystery injuries but have time to delete bridge houses and desecration of players memorials now on a whim items people have spent 100s of millions on are again illegal

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had two glacial weapons on auction safes on one of my houses that were added only about a week or two ago by one of the co-owners on the house. Logged in over the weekend and their hues were reverted.

Upon calling a GM, we were informed that "glacial spellbooks are OK" and that "any other item is not" (GM Quinn's precise words).

It's the first I am seeing of this as I also had sold glacial pickaxes on safes in the past 12 months without issue. A word to the wise for anyone else attempting to sell glacial hued items.
I just remembered that I seen chat from a couple governors less than a month ago talking about only spell books being legal to own and talking to ems and gms about it
Im sure its all about profit what ever the sudden reversal on making them illegal to own now is tho.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
where is it in writing pickaxes and daggers are illegal now or always were? or that glacial spellbooks are even legal? why are they leaving spellbooks alone? for me ive posted if its not supposed to be in game it should be deleted period but the devs have so many grey areas that people will be burned if not in writing/list/ link.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Is glacial hair dye still cool? Cause I’ve got 4 or 5 on Atlantic I need to unload.
My understanding is that they're targeting items that were created through non-sanctioned methods. The Glacial dyes that drop from Peerless should still be okay.

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Reminisce of a time that left a very bad taste in their mouths - AKA doggy dupe era.

The original glacial hued items were named and created through the EM program or UO Contests, i.e. dagger, knife, banana, pic axe, and spell book. Then doggy dupe mass produced them followed by a patch that wiped out 99% of the original named glacial hued items (only a couple of them survived).

I don't believe these items hurt the mechanics of the game in anyway, which was the original reason why illegal items were removed in the first place i.e. portable forge/anvil etc...
1682757517356.png
The person I met in the game before was wearing an ICE colored bandana with original name.
I remember talking she got it when she won the contest.
it doesn't seem to be documented on the WIKI or Manticore lists. Anyone have a clue?

I met this player at the rares fest 2012 sakura shard
Anyone know her?