• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Giving Back to the Community

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As some know I'm in the process of leaving UO and that includes closing my shop, Dragonstorm. While I'm completely dissatisfied with how the game is being run, I still have a lot of love for the players. I've got a long history with volunteering and community support and I'd like to go out the same way. :heart:

I've made a bit of gold at the location, some from folks visiting and some from locals. I'd like to give some back.

My gold is predominantly on Atlantic so that is where I'm giving away this. As much as I'd like it to be a global give away, I really can't.

So... this is what I'm going to do... I'm going to be giving out some "grants". Now, I'd like to think everyone will be honest about it and follow through with their proposals, but there is never a guarantee. Best way I have of telling honest people from dishonest is allowing the community to choose who gets funded via poll. If someone has a bad reputation, than hopefully they won't get votes. Its the best way I can come up with to try and make sure the gold goes where it should. I know its not perfect, but the best way I have.

So ... How does it work?

You can ask for up to 250 MILLION each. I will be giving away multiple grants, but I haven't decided on an exact number. The grant should be based on Atlantic and you need to include what exactly you are going to do with the money and how much you need. I'm primarily looking for people who are giving something to the community and not just personal gain.

Want to host a public event, but need gold for prizes?
Want to have gold to buy player soulstones to keep for players to get back?
Want to make a public rune library?
Want to run a weekly tavern?

The choices are really endless and only limited by the creativity of the community.

Please post your proposals below or any questions you might have.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would a mod please move this to the main Atlantic community forum?

Reason: I'm an idiot and posted it on the wrong forum. *sighs*

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So ... How does it work?

You can ask for up to 250 MILLION each. I will be giving away multiple grants, but I haven't decided on an exact number. The grant should be based on Atlantic and you need to include what exactly you are going to do with the money and how much you need. I'm primarily looking for people who are giving something to the community and not just personal gain.

Want to host a public event, but need gold for prizes?
Want to have gold to buy player soulstones to keep for players to get back?
Want to make a public rune library?
Want to run a weekly tavern?

The choices are really endless and only limited by the creativity of the community.

Please post your proposals below or any questions you might have.
Great idea and very community driven :thumbup:

Other ideas:
Want to host a fishing contest?
Want to host a PvP tournament?
Want to host a pet battle?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This is perfect!

I always enjoyed shopping at your vendors, one of the few runes I have in my runebook on ATL :)

This is also perfect timing...another sad story, my best friend is also quitting because when they turned off housing, one of his houses on Origin fell...the one with all of his prized possessions in it :/ so disheartened he has decided to leave the game entirely.

Another dear friend of ours, BriarRose, left awhile back and gave him Virtue Auction House...which he is now gifting to me....

SO...I was planning on re-decorating the house and running auctions again on ATL. I ran auctions weekly on Origin when it first came online so I am not a noob at auctions lol.

IF you were to give me a grant, that money would go towards giveaways and prizes to Auction Customers. As Briar and Ermac did at their auction...I would like to carry on that tradition as well as hold a few contests during each auction.

I am not going to ask for an amount of gold...that will be up to you but whatever you do gift me will go right back to the community.

Thank you again for your years of service...your vendor house was one of the few I shopped at regularly on ATL.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone else have any other community proposals they'd like funded? Please post them here so its as transparent as possible.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I need it to buy materials for my craftsmen plus recipes. Also, years ago I bought a house on Atlantic outside Luna outside the North gate and a short sprint east. I gifted to a guild mate who I am told joined WOW and hasn't been back. But I'm not in the right financial shape right now to keep a house and constantly pay for monthly subscription fees for the game

I know a certain individual who owns several Luna houses (I won't name names here). He says he has them on nearly every American production shard. He has expressed much financial strain on him in RL due to real money issues. If I had to say what to do with a ton of ingame money is to buy some of his houses from him so doesn't have to pay for them any more. But this would be unlikely to happen.

Ideally for myself I would like to form a team of UO players who also happen to be coders or artists or what not and create a game in homage of UO. In point of fact I would like to own the Game Design Documents for UO2 and UXO which were scrapped by EA many years ago to make a Hero Engine MMO. I'd slo love to have a license to the rights to a create a new Warhammer MMO in the spirit of Age of Reckoning. But those are lofty goals outside of the game and the OP's intentinos.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to clarify... I do not have the time to run or host events myself. Soon as my house is sold and grants handed out, I'll be closing my account.

This thread was more a way to help fund people looking to do something for the community as a whole. I've had two suggestions via PM and then the auction one in this thread. Again, I'm looking more at things that are open to anyone rather than personal gain. I'll let this thread run a couple more days to see if any other funding requests before I make decisions. Thank you to all who have been supportive of this thread.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I know a certain individual who owns several Luna houses (I won't name names here). He says he has them on nearly every American production shard. He has expressed much financial strain on him in RL due to real money issues. If I had to say what to do with a ton of ingame money is to buy some of his houses from him so doesn't have to pay for them any more. But this would be unlikely to happen.
I know who you mean, and the reason those houses haven't sold is because he has consistently wanted about three times what the houses are worth for years. If he dropped the prices to what they are actually worth he would have no problem selling them.

Nobody is going to pay him a billion gold for a Luna house on a shard with 50 total players. Nobody is going to pay him 60 billion for his Atlantic Luna houses when the ones right next to them have sold for less than half that multiple times over the last few years.

morPR

PRmeister
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the best course of action is to create a guild/ alliance which would teach newbies and returnees what the game is about and how to play rather than gifting them low end merchandise for free. Encourage them to create characters that have useful fringe skills that might earn them money. Like how to be a chef or a resource gatherer. Or a t-hunter.

Everyone wants to be a smith because its one of the default choices on the list when you create a character. Lots of skills are lauded in this game. But in order to bank roll their own toons and make money, they should learn how to fish... or how to hunt animals.... or be a prospector of some sort. (Tinker, miner, lumberjack, swords, Tactics, and fletching).

In my more naive days I made a Faction Smith and the plan was to make potions, recall scrolls, tailor, and smith. He would goto faction towns and make blessed armor or weapons for the most interested parties. Alas, insurance came and eventually the faction system disbanded.

I know not how much gold I spent on my other mule or on my characters in general. I know I might have profitable skills but have no idea how to market myself to utilize those skills.

An academy of some sort would be ideal. I'd supplement it with a facebook group for sharing old pictures from the days gone by.

Adrahil

Adventurer
Anyone else have any other community proposals they'd like funded? Please post them here so its as transparent as possible.

When I read your post, I said wow that is really a cool thing. Giving out money for projects that help the community. It dawned on me, I have always had a dream to make a rune library, one that was tailored to actual professions.

My idea is to reactivate another one of my veteran accounts and use the grant money to purchase a home near a moongate.

First floor would hold the library: Professions, Interesting Areas, Cities, Dungeons and Islands.

Profession books would be:

i.e. Rune Book contains taming for levels 20,30,40,50, ETC.

Rune Book contains cotton farms for gathering wool to make cloth.

Rune book contains mining areas in safe locations with a forge.

Second floor would house a community warehouse. Boxes that anyone can donate low level weapons, armors, scrolls, items to assist newbie or returning players. I would keep this stocked with MIB or low level tmap loot from community events hosted by the library.

Third floor is a lock picking station, 20 to gm skill level boxes, pick pocket dip and target dummy. There would also be 3 vendors that sell Potions, Recall scrolls, Rune Books and basic filled Spell Books at cost of materials. The idea is not profit, just to maintain the stock level and always provide these basic items. Starting a new character or even a purchase to get back to your body supplies at a fair price.

If chosen for a grant, I would post the upkeep costs and financials quarterly from the vendors. If at any time a profit is made from the vendors it will be used for events hosted by the library or used for upgrades/additions.

I would use some of the money to purchase door prizes for the Grand opening and planned events during the year. (I.e. dungeon clears, taming runs, scavenger hunts).

I know projects like this are a labor of love and very time consuming. I plan staying with Atlantic and UO until I can play no more. I would ask for a grant amount that seems fair for the purchase of a home, decoration, start up materials. I plan to call the library Dragon’s Athenaeum or Dragon’s Rest, in honor of your grant.

Demon Wind

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is always sad to see people leave. Especially those who have basically been building blocks of the Atlantic Community. I hope all is well with you and yours. You will be missed I'm sure. Good Luck and Farewell. There is a player that usually hands out repairs and food at yew gate and goes out of her way to help people all the time. Her name at the moment escapes me but I'm sure everyone knows who she is. She would never ask so I am asking for her. Give her 250 mil so she can continue to help everyone.

Last edited:

Citizenbushido

Adventurer
Here is an Idea for someone to do. I play on Siege & there is a house named. "Diabolical Treasure Hunt House" Owned by DeadBob. It's basicly a puzzle house were you try to get to the chest of gold he's placed there. I thought it was a cool idea. If you want to check it out it's just south of Luna on the road, right hand side.

Adrahil

Adventurer
Here is an Idea for someone to do. I play on Siege & there is a house named. "Diabolical Treasure Hunt House" Owned by DeadBob. It's basicly a puzzle house were you try to get to the chest of gold he's placed there. I thought it was a cool idea. If you want to check it out it's just south of Luna on the road, right hand side.
That sounds really cool, I will have to go check that out.

Please Dont

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Folks,

Here is my idea, I would like to make an open crafting and farming house. I would buy as many of the housing addon deeds i could and set them for public use for all the crafting skills. I already have a small soul forge for the Imbuing folks and 3 bank chests that would allow them to send things back to the bank. Then i would start to add resource giving items for everyone to use while they are training. Heck might even ask some of the local experts to come and offer a class or two so some new folks can learn tips and tricks on crafting.

Also i do enjoy playing on my tamer and would host some resource gathering runs to grab stuff to come back and craft. I would use my own funds to buy a house better located to resources that would support the training efforts of people training or honing their trade.

Adrahil

Adventurer
Folks,

Here is my idea, I would like to make an open crafting and farming house. I would buy as many of the housing addon deeds i could and set them for public use for all the crafting skills. I already have a small soul forge for the Imbuing folks and 3 bank chests that would allow them to send things back to the bank. Then i would start to add resource giving items for everyone to use while they are training. Heck might even ask some of the local experts to come and offer a class or two so some new folks can learn tips and tricks on crafting.

Also i do enjoy playing on my tamer and would host some resource gathering runs to grab stuff to come back and craft. I would use my own funds to buy a house better located to resources that would support the training efforts of people training or honing their trade.
Just let me know if you can't find or need any crafting addon deeds, I can make the lion's share of them.

Please Dont

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just let me know if you can't find or need any crafting addon deeds, I can make the lion's share of them.
This house will have public access for Sewing Machine, Smithing Press, Spinning Lathe, Bow Stringer, Alchemy Station, BBQ Smoker, Enchanted Writing Desk. I will hit you up on helping my crafter fill them up. This post has motivated me already and i have been looking at easy and safe access homes to house this workshop.

Adrahil

Adventurer
This house will have public access for Sewing Machine, Smithing Press, Spinning Lathe, Bow Stringer, Alchemy Station, BBQ Smoker, Enchanted Writing Desk. I will hit you up on helping my crafter fill them up. This post has motivated me already and i have been looking at easy and safe access homes to house this workshop.
Yeah, I know the feeling. I have been crafting tons of runebooks and trying out different ways to display them. I decided money or not, I am still going to make a rune library.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I've missed someone.. please let me know. Otherwise these are the proposals/requests I have.

1. Donation to Goodman's (Pm)
2. New Player Assistance (Pm)
3. Larisa's auction house
4. Adrahil's Rune Library
5. Please Don'ts Crafting/Resource House
6. Kinslayer's Event Fund

Did I miss anyone? I saw a lot of great suggestions for others, but no one taking them on.

Edit *adds in Kinslayer*

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Sorry for seeing this so late, have been laid up due to an injury but am back at it now :)

You have always done great things for our Shard and continue to do so even as you are calling it quits. Definitely hate to see someone like that hang it up. There are getting to be less and less of those type these days.. so others will always have to step up and try to fill the void.

Being a "life long Atlantic resident" I have hosted quite a few player ran events and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. At least once a month there will be opportunities for players to earn nice sized prizes at the events. The most recent one was the "pet battles" (Moonglow Appreciation Trounament - First Place 100 Million Gold ) and the one I am working on for the last part of this month is a "Lockpicking Contest" - around 150 or so lock boxes will be placed and players can pick any of the chests and receive a prize. (every box will have a trinket in it... and there will be three boxes that will have codes for gold amounts along those at the last contest)... Everything I do has always been self funded but could always use the added prizes (gold or otherwise) to further give the player base something fun to do (or hopefully any way lol)

Don't get me wrong now... the ones listed are most definitely worthy and I would never attempt to detract from any of them... but all is fair in love and grants :D

Please Dont

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry for seeing this so late, have been laid up due to an injury but am back at it now :)

You have always done great things for our Shard and continue to do so even as you are calling it quits. Definitely hate to see someone like that hang it up. There are getting to be less and less of those type these days.. so others will always have to step up and try to fill the void.

Being a "life long Atlantic resident" I have hosted quite a few player ran events and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. At least once a month there will be opportunities for players to earn nice sized prizes at the events. The most recent one was the "pet battles" (Moonglow Appreciation Trounament - First Place 100 Million Gold ) and the one I am working on for the last part of this month is a "Lockpicking Contest" - around 150 or so lock boxes will be placed and players can pick any of the chests and receive a prize. (every box will have a trinket in it... and there will be three boxes that will have codes for gold amounts along those at the last contest)... Everything I do has always been self funded but could always use the added prizes (gold or otherwise) to further give the player base something fun to do (or hopefully any way lol)

Don't get me wrong now... the ones listed are most definitely worthy and I would never attempt to detract from any of them... but all is fair in love and grants :D
I love those grab a bag/box games. i remember way back when people used to load vendors with boxes u break open for prizes and it actually had items in them ;]

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright, since I have no corrections or further requests, I'm going to close this offer. No more requests please.

All the requests below are approved for the max of 250m each.
1. Donation to Goodman's (Pm sent - Delivered)
2. New Player Assistance (Pm sent - Delivered)
3. Larisa's auction house (PM sent - Delivered)
4. Adrahil's Rune Library (PM sent - Delivered)
5. Please Don'ts Crafting/Resource House (PM sent - Delivered)
6. Kinslayer's Event Fund (PM sent - Delivered)

I'll be sending via Stratics PM a password in the next day or two for you to give me to verify its you when you contact me via ICQ. Soon as we arrange a time to meet, I'll transfer the grant money.

Thank you to everyone who made requests and suggestions/ideas. :grouphug:

Last edited:

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everyone should now have a PM with a password. Just ICQ me to arrange pick-up. I've got a lot to do today so give me time to respond. If I don't in a reasonable time, message me again. ICQ can be finicky if you aren't in my list.

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you very much for the generous donation to Goodman's Rune Library.

I hope you find out that you miss us and return very soon!

Thanks for your contributions to Sosaria's Community.

Best of Luck in Your Future Endeavors!

Adrahil

Adventurer
Thank you again Assia for the grant, I found a moderate sized house 2 screens from the Yew Moon Gate. I have 3 skill sections already completed. I am hoping the Dragon's Athenaeum will open in mid December!

Sir Osis of Liver

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
E-begging for free gold? Im down! please read im joking...
I have run a pretty successful "new player help" vendor which is cheaply priced for years. "Hanzo's newbie gear." Where i have sold affordable suits with good mods which were all 70s and starter weapons which were maxxed imbued for omfg years! I did this in my spare in game time and really didnt make much gold doing it. Im also a frequent person on "help" chat trying to hook people up with gear. BTW my toons name is Hattori Hanzo. I dont want to come off as one of the famous smiths of the land but for F's sake i kinda am. Ive burned thru hundreds of val hammers and made 500 mil suits for samps pre legendary patch quite a few times.
My busines plan for the endowment!
The suit is still the biggest problem to the new player.
My plan.
Purchase some of the artifacts which today are not sought after due to the high volume of legendary gear available. They will be used for use in creation of suits for new players.
Specifically. Gladiators collar (currently going for 2 mil on search) Ive bought up 10 or so since the massive price drop which i would donate to the program.
I would then take the collar and combine it with one of the hundreds of greater artifact pieces i have accumulated in the past few years to make a max mod imbued suit which could be used against any of the spawns/quests/bosess in the game. basically giving the player a high start threshold for the game.
I would do the same with mages. Working kasa's of the ra' jin and kelp enchanted leggings into newbie mage suits with 100% lrc which isnt possible w/o the acquisition of imbuing regs, making it cost prohibitive to do for free or cheap.
BTW im already rich in game. That doesnt mean i want to make myself poor to help people out. ive done what i can and will do so regardless.
All requests for gear would be handled on a case by case basis. no youngs, griefers etc... and F Saul....

Christmas Elves

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
*Peeks in and smiles* Happy Holidays and safe journeys Sir. May all your endeavors bring forward desired outcomes.!