• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

gimmie gimmie gimmie, i want i want i want

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
over on the uo forum, there has been many posts asking for various items to be put in the store. like vet rewards and others things. if the dev do put vet rewards in store, my friends and i would leave along with over 40 paid accounts. everyone was given the use of all vet rewards except shard shields. there are already too much entitlements, some dont want to earn anything. i get surprised with some of the posts over there on the uo forum. thank god for stratics

Chap

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They wont touch the veteran system, the consequences are too great.
Meanwhile I do understand the problem for a new player with a 1year account, wont be able to claim a garden shed or etheral tiger, probably ever.
The solution however is to buy the item from others, or on vendor search.
You could argue that it cost way too much gold, but then again why are a 1 year old vet supposed to have a 15year vet reward anyway.

Anything (except certain rares) are available to everyone in this game really, if you cant find the item yourselves you just grind something else, get gold,
then buy it from someone that has acquired the item you want. Works 100% but some effort is required.

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I'm trying to get motivated about this thread.

Nope, not happening yet. Maybe tomorrow.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
over on the uo forum, there has been many posts asking for various items to be put in the store. like vet rewards and others things. if the dev do put vet rewards in store, my friends and i would leave along with over 40 paid accounts. everyone was given the use of all vet rewards except shard shields. there are already too much entitlements, some dont want to earn anything. i get surprised with some of the posts over there on the uo forum. thank god for stratics
Unless I am mistaken, the talk was about 1 (one) vet reward. And this reward is needed for every character, so a single account can be out 7 vet rewards to get it. Personally, I don't need it, since I am on EC, but locking a simple QOL item behind the 7 years worth of a sub is ridiculous.

You complain about entitlements. What do you call your threat of leaving unless a fairly basic item is only made available to players with a decade or two in subs?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was under the impression that both UO forums were primarily dedicated to "gimmie gimmie gimmie i want i want i want" and shouting demands into the wind. Let's not forget threatening to cancel subs if these demands are not met, we like to do that too. Oh... Wait... Other parts of my body are starting to explode now because my head has done it too many times from reading here.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I proposed letting people prepay their game time so you could claim the same rewards earlier. No discounts, 120$ per year upgraded. That's 60$ per reward. If you paid the exact same amount you should have the same rewards. I've yet to hear how this is unfair other than older accts just wanting you to wait (for no reason, you've both paid the exact same amount, and got the same exact rewards). I get my shields next month, but for sure would prepay my account for more picks. This game will not take my rl money. Stimulus checks are in, and they're all going to gold sites instead of the store. I've offered many ways for UO to take my money that doesn't give an ingame pvp/pvm advantage. Not sure why they dont want my cash.

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There was a time I shared at least a part of Arms sentiment. I was adamantly opposed to Advanced Character Tokens... I worked really hard to train my characters and felt like having a skilled character should be earned via gameplay rather than just buying it...

However, at this stage of the game I think that ship has long since sailed. IMO the veteran reward system no longer really functions like it did when it started... too many valuable vs outdated rewards... and far too large of a gap between top and bottom.

Selling veteran rewards is commonplace in UO, and I see very little difference in a 20 year old account tossing a garden shed on a vendor for 175m and the devs putting that item in the store for 2000 sovereigns (or some other price)... unless you’re worried about the devs cutting into your revenue stream. I’m fine with getting something for free as a thank you for playing, even if that item is available for someone else to buy at regular price. Realistically it’s not all that different from most other types of promotions... buy 10 pizza get the 11th for free... the free pizza isn’t less valuable because someone else can buy one...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Ohhh right, I didn't pay much attention to those! I play the EC so I am too organised to need that. :D

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I can see both sides of this, some things should never be in the store, but others like these straps possibly should have been. UO is an old game and if people really want stuff that they have to wait years to get then they might just go buy it from the RMT sites. :(
1000 sovereigns might be a bit low but I suppose if you can only take picks from your own account age that's different, not so unbalanced, just an extra pick. Some of those items people waited a long time for, I don't know, not sure what to think about that.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They can also add to the numbers we get. I would rather them increase the amount we receive. From 6 to 9 years 3 picks, 10 to 14 years 4 picks 15 and above 5 a year. 20210326_181847.jpg I will have close to 31 picks in a few months from two accounts. Will be getting shields. So can't use them on tubes or com boxs. Only good one is the shields and telaporter

Vyric

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been seeing this flawed logic since this game launched and all others since. Sitting on your ass banging on a few keys and the occasional mouse clicking for 20+ years will never, ever be considered earning anything. Since you've obviously been paying the monthly fee for a long time, you're actually the literal definistion of Pay to Win. Congrats. I must ask though..... Why does some one else totally unaware of your existence having the same thing you do, but in less time cause you such grief?

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
vyric, actually, that would be considered GRINDING over 20+ years. if you want to pay to get it faster, that is pay to win. if you want to pay to get it now, that is pay to win. if you have to pay to play, that is what it is. Other games have gotten rid of vet rewards because players coming later complain. and uo might as well now that they are deleted in idocs. i am all for paying in advance for mine tho. let me drop $1200 bucks on my account, pay it forward for 10 years and reap the rewards now(and make sure my house doesn't drop in the meantime).

Ning

Journeyman
Personally I wouldn't have an issue with certain veteran items finding their way to the store and don't have issue with certain ones remaining veteran exclusive. Perks for all the sub time one paid for should be expected.

I've been around off and on since 99 but only have 91 months of paid time. Really the one thing I would love but certainly wouldn't scream and holler for is some form of a shard shield type item. There are a lot of shards, mine included, that are woefully unpopulated and the biggest issue I've run into is the lack of commerce. There are plenty of items I'd love to have and would happily buy and the ability to hit a shard like Atl to shop occasionally would be awesome.

Yes, I know there are xfer tokens but they seem a little cost prohibitive for a shopping excursion just to need a second $20 token to return home. I can't honestly see me spending $700+ and waiting 6 years for the honor of doing so with a shield of my own. People lament the gold sites and such, but for a lot of people there are few other options to get some things when they're on a shard with little commerce and nothing to buy. Personally I'd rather give UO the money instead of endangering my credit card number handing it out so some Chinese or Eastern European gold farmers.

I've been around online gaming since 96 and ran the gamut of games so I understand a bit of veteran arrogance and the OG logic, but quite frequently the loudest voices railing against 3rd party sellers and such are also some of the loudest voices screaming screw you noob and driving mere mortals without said longtime status to them as well.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can see both sides of this, some things should never be in the store, but others like these straps possibly should have been. UO is an old game and if people really want stuff that they have to wait years to get then they might just go buy it from the RMT sites. :(
1000 sovereigns might be a bit low but I suppose if you can only take picks from your own account age that's different, not so unbalanced, just an extra pick. Some of those items people waited a long time for, I don't know, not sure what to think about that.
What the unbalanced part is is people like me and others that can take any pick we want for just 1000 Soc and sell that pick on Atl for 175M so for $100 I can male a tidy sum of 1.75P that is why I suggested that this should be 2000 - 2500 Sov range.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The only players not wanting to buy more vet reward picks are the ones making profit off of them.

If you play UO and do more than one thing, you would love to have the ability to get more choices.

Right now we hoard them because we think something good will be introduced or we spend them all.

But Mesanna just said they choose where rewards go and do not listen to our input on where they are placed. So, we will not be buying vet rewards from the store.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Shard shields should never have existed in my opinion, they cut off one of their best income sources when they gave them as a vet reward. I can see how people feel they give others an unfair advantage but then again those people did wait 14 years for them, unless they bought an old account of course... :oops:

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I seem to recall someone on the team saying stuff bought on the UO store the $$ goes into EA's pocket and not into the pocket of BS.

Anyone else recall that?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I seem to recall someone on the team saying stuff bought on the UO store the $$ goes into EA's pocket and not into the pocket of BS.

Anyone else recall that?
yep, I want to say it was a meet n' greet or a 5 on Friday. But something to that effect was stated.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was under the impression that both UO forums were primarily dedicated to "gimmie gimmie gimmie i want i want i want" and shouting demands into the wind. Let's not forget threatening to cancel subs if these demands are not met, we like to do that too. Oh... Wait... Other parts of my body are starting to explode now because my head has done it too many times from reading here.
This pretty much sums it up. The only thing left out was the part about bashing the Devs no matter what they do.

"I want a rideable dragon that shoots lasers from it's eyes.... I hate the rideable dragon with the lasers shooting from the eyes; they didn't do it right. The dragon should be blaze color and the laser should be glacier... ugh these devs suck"

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The point is people aren’t happy with items that make the game more playable being bet reward. It’s basically saying ‘we hate young players’. Vet rewards should be display and vanity items. Example : mounts. All the crazy mounts should be vet rewards while a simple ethy horse is purchasable in the store.

An ethy makes it easier to play so you don’t need a pet Rez every time you die. That’s every toon on every shard. I play 4-6 shards. 7 toons. Two accounts. How do I get 56 vet reward picks just for mounts? Let people buy those type of things but then show off the ethy tigers for old accounts.
Spellbook and rune straps should be buyable. That’s the point. I’d need 1 of each for all my accounts and toons if I choose to use them. That’s 112. How do I get 112 years of vet rewards?
Vet rewards - Vanity items, statues and the like.
UO Store - gameplay items that make gameplay better/easier.
If you want one vet reward be 1,000 sovereigns then so be it.
Done.
In the end UO makes more money. People can buy the useful items. That’s the whole point.
Instead the UO store is full of deco junk I’ll never buy. They only get my subscription every year. Missing out on revenue.

Disclaimer : I don’t generally buy items in game and I save all my vet picks for shields. I’m not a broker.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shard shields should never have existed in my opinion, they cut off one of their best income sources when they gave them as a vet reward. I can see how people feel they give others an unfair advantage but then again those people did wait 14 years for them, unless they bought an old account of course... :oops:
True but they may have also saved the game allowing people to transfer to ATL and make one shard like old UO.

Ning

Journeyman
I'd be happy with a limited use/limited time shield. X charges and a 24 hour auto return for X dollars. I rather enjoy a quiet shard and don't want to play a shard like Atl full time, but I wouldn't mind bopping over for the occasional shopping trip or perhaps to attend the occasional event. It would give newer players and returning vets an opportunity to play their home shard without being locked out of having items and such they'd never be able to find for sale at home. I don't see something like that really being unbalancing or a snub to those that stayed in the whole time. Yeah, a cat like me may not have put in the time others have, but my 91 months ain't exactly freeloading either.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Theo_GL I agree with a lot of what you said, ethy mounts are a must-have item for me, otherwise I decimate the horse population with untimely deaths... when I first played I had to share an ethy between 3 characters and that was a major pain, but needs must!

I still think they should have done something to prevent Atlantic becoming so over-populated compared to everywhere else, but that's another discussion! :p

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Theo_GL I agree with a lot of what you said, ethy mounts are a must-have item for me, otherwise I decimate the horse population with untimely deaths... when I first played I had to share an ethy between 3 characters and that was a major pain, but needs must!
Who doesn't want an ethy mount? They are pretty convenient.

That said, they shouldn't make or break anyone's game play given how forgiving the game has become with mounts so I don't think it's something that's a necessity. This isn't direct at you @ShriNayne and is more of a generalization but all pets can bond so if you have a vanity mount and it dies then you just need to get it rezzed. You might say that's inconvenient if you are in battle... No problem... we also have pet summoning balls that can summon a new mount for you to ride and you can have up to 4 additional of those from your stable; if you die that many times it's probably time to head back to town anyway. You might try to argue that you don't want to carry that many summoning balls (that's kind of on you being stubborn) but for the sake of argument alright... if you die then just log out real quick and your pet is sent to purgatory until you get rezzed and then relog again and your pet is safe.... again no real need for ethys at all. This doesn't even take into consideration that you can almost recall from anywhere so technically you could just recall to the stables and buy another horse (worst case scenario) OR if you are a garg/ninja you don't even need a mount. As you can see, not having an ethy mount is hardly a show stopper. People just tend to feel extremely entitled.

Not to be that old guy... but "back in my day" there weren't ethys (or bonded pets or summoning balls) and you would just buy a horse from the stable and ride til it died and hopefully in that time frame you would save up 600gp and buy another. The game still worked, you could still play it, and could still have fun. That said, it also seemed like people actually played the game more back then and did less coaching from the stands.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It took me a long time to get an ethy, I went through a lot of horses LOL I started in 2002, I'm sure things were a lot easier by then. :D

Ning

Journeyman
Ethys are one of the best items ever introduced into the game. I'm old enough to remember a horse being a luxury item I rarely had because it was tough to afford to keep replacing them with as often as I got dirtnapped. My tamer exists because I tamed so many horses to keep riding around that I had built up enough taming skill that I changed the template plan for the character because, why not, I was that far already. They aren't necessity, but they're the best convenience item ever in my opinion

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Anyone else recall that?
Who owns DAoC/UO - EA. Who do you pay your SUBs to - EA. Who owns Origin - EA. Who pays BS to maintain DAoC/UO - EA. Who gets all the REAL money - EA.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In the end UO makes more money. People can buy the useful items. That’s the whole point.
How does BS/DAoC/UO make 1 penny from you using sovereigns. Sovereigns are bought from a store owned by EA not BS. OH I forgot you do understand that EA also owns the Account Management site too. EA has a contract with BS to maintain DAoC/UO for which they receive a check written by a bean counter who works for EA and is signed by some big wig who also works for EA.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ethys are one of the best items ever introduced into the game. I'm old enough to remember a horse being a luxury item I rarely had because it was tough to afford to keep replacing them with as often as I got dirtnapped. My tamer exists because I tamed so many horses to keep riding around that I had built up enough taming skill that I changed the template plan for the character because, why not, I was that far already. They aren't necessity, but they're the best convenience item ever in my opinion
I agree, I used to go thru 10+ horses a night pvping. I still remember claiming my first ethy, it was a great day.

Ning

Journeyman
Haha yeah. My less than stellar PvP skills took its toll on the equine population of Sonoma in my factions days. I learned quickly to leave my warhorse in the stable if we weren't fighting in town too.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What's the difference with it being on the UO store versus the third-party stores that would trigger you to be upset and leave?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What's the difference with it being on the UO store versus the third-party stores that would trigger you to be upset and leave?
The biggest difference for Vet rewards in the store vs on 3rd party site to me is that there are still a finite amount of rewards going the 3rd party route rather than a limitless supply of vet rewards (literally infinity). That said, I wouldn't be upset and leave over it... I just think Vet rewards should earned. It's like saying that you shouldn't have to go to college for 4 years for a bachelors degree but rather just pay the tuition for 4 years upfront and just get the piece of paper.... you didn't earn the degree that way.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The biggest difference for Vet rewards in the store vs on 3rd party site to me is that there are still a finite amount of rewards going the 3rd party route rather than a limitless supply of vet rewards (literally infinity). That said, I wouldn't be upset and leave over it... I just think Vet rewards should earned. It's like saying that you shouldn't have to go to college for 4 years for a bachelors degree but rather just pay the tuition for 4 years upfront and just get the piece of paper.... you didn't earn the degree that way.
Not sure if you knew but the 3d party stores have an unlimited supply of everything because they dupe everything. The only real difference is UO is not making any money on it.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I agree vet rewards should be earned. However, I think a decade or two decades is too much.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure if you knew but the 3d party stores have an unlimited supply of everything because they dupe everything. The only real difference is UO is not making any money on it.

So only these specific people would be smart enough to dupe things? If Massive duping is going on, someone should be smart enough to hold some scroll books full of 120 Tactics and Resist.

All these conspiracy theories but no one has enough brains to do make them beneficial.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So only these specific people would be smart enough to dupe things? If Massive duping is going on, someone should be smart enough to hold some scroll books full of 120 Tactics and Resist.

All these conspiracy theories but no one has enough brains to do make them beneficial.
Yes only these people are smart enough to dupe. Otherwise everyone would do it like diablo. Theres no doubt that there are better coders that play than on the dev team. I thought everyone knew most 3d party sites dupe everything. Most items cant be vendored.