• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Getting excited now !

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so I'm gonna 120 my fishing tonight (I think) ! What should I do (fishing-wise) when I get there? As in, should I do some fishing quests or what?
:danceb:

Last edited:

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so I'm gonna 120 my fishing tonight (I think) ! What should I do (fishing-wise) when I get there? As in, should I do some fishing quests or what?
:danceb:
It depends what you see your Fisher as doing afterwards; that might sound a tautology, but it does require some thought. Do you want to chase the Rare and Legendary fish? In which case, you'd possibly be better off not doing fishing quests. That sounds contradictory now! But the reason is, the chance of getting bait is HUGE from the quests, but the downtime gaining all the fish required is for the quests is colossal, and there's so many different types of bait the chances of getting the one you need for the fish you're after is very low. And the bonus from bait isn't all that great, it has to be re-applied to the rod after every cast, and you won't get many casts even after weeks of grinding the quests. You're better off just going straight to the area for the rares etc, and spending the time fishing there; save up the other fish that appear and do the quests as and when you've enough stock and inclination.

If you're out to earn money though, MiBs are still the way forward. The odds on scrolls or decent items from the fishing quests is way, way too low and demand is dropping off.

But if you're a masochist, and want to help the community, by all means do fishing quests! AND GIVE ME YOUR RESULTS! See the sticky here on the forums; so far, they're all mine... spread the fishy misery around and help out with submitting your quests please!

And in the meantime, congratulations on becoming a Legendary Fisher!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
don't forget that the bait you don't want gives pretty good points in clean-up. I turned in my most common baits and was able to get several bless deeds before they removed the deeds from the rewards.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
don't forget that the bait you don't want gives pretty good points in clean-up. I turned in my most common baits and was able to get several bless deeds before they removed the deeds from the rewards.
Technically true, but it's 10 points for each point of bait regardless of rarity now, and as fish size can only go up (10, to 15 to 20 where it stays) the amount of time required to get any bait at all once you've done a few quests is completely inefficient; you'll get more points per hour by simply fishing Deep Sea for MiBs, then handing in the chest and the loot inside it... a Sunken Chest itself is worth 100 points, and if you don't want the artefacts, those are another 500 points themselves. Treasure Maps are also worth clean up points and will come the same way, as will White Pearl which will sell (the delicate scales are largely useless though)... you just don't get anywhere near that utility doing the quests, especially when you get Giant Koi again. I recommend everyone look at the sticky, and add their own results, to see how largely dysfunctional the loot table is.