• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] getting above 18 phys

• Thread starter longshanks
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
L

longshanks

i craft a lot of barb with reg sewing kits to get high rolls on pieces.

i have gotten 18 energy for instance which is sweet cause it doesnt count as a mod when u imbue. so it almost looks like you have 6 mods on a piece.

my question than: is it possible to roll above a 17 phys on barb leather using a reg sewing kit or will it only go as high as 17 which is the max imbued level without enhancing.

i have a guy who wants a mage suit using hom, aof and fey leggings. so making gorget, arms and gloves and imbuing 17 phys im 3 short at 67.

anyway to overcome this other than enhancing or putting 3 on a ring. he's using orny. of course i can wear the +2 phys earrings.

thanks.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'll assume you're talking human/elf armor.

THEORETICALLY you could get as much as 22 points into physical (before material bonus), but the odds are more likely you'd get struck by lightning while winning the Powerball.

Getting as much as 15 physical on a barbed piece would mean you'd have to get half of the exceptional bonus into Physical, which might take hundreds of attempts. Getting more than that would take thousands of attempts, most likely.

Your example of 18 energy resist was getting 11 of a possible 20 (assuming you're GM arms lore on a normal shard) of the random resists into Energy.

Your best bet for high physical, without using a runic/imbued property, would be to use regular leather, get as high physical as you can, imbue, then enhance with spined and cross your fingers.

11 random points into Physical would put it at 13 physical, and the 5 from enhancing would put it at 18.

Otherwise, Craft from regular leather, looking for pieces with REALLY low physical resists (0-3 in Physical), imbue to 13 or higher total resists, then enhance with spined to get to 18+.

My suggestion is to pick just ONE of the items. Craft from regular leather, going for the really low physical, to Imbue. Imbue all of your other properties, and imbue Physical to 15% (two under maximum). Attempt to enhance with spined, to raise it to 20% (thereby taking care of the 3 point shortfall that 3 17% pieces would have).

If it breaks, recreate the piece and try again.

Make the other two pieces out of barbed, as per your current plan, imbued to 17% physical, and try to compensate for the loss of the other resists on the 20 physical piece on those pieces (as spined is +5/0/0/0/0 instead of Barbed's 12 total resists).

L

longshanks

basara, your post was totally helpful.

so im trying to enhance reg leather with spined. however the downside is that i lose out on the resist bump off crafting barb with reg sew kit.

i understand the spine enhance as a way to go given the 5 bump in phys which is what im trying to attain and the fact that the probability of success is higher on a spine enhance as opposed to a barb one.

sorta damned if you do damned if you dont scenario.

great reply and my thanks basara.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If it wasn't for the pesky 40 luck taking up 1 of your imbuing slots, it would be better to craft with spined, instead of enhance - but you can't have everything....

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My suggestion is to pick just ONE of the items. Craft from regular leather, going for the really low physical, to Imbue. Imbue all of your other properties, and imbue Physical to 15% (two under maximum). Attempt to enhance with spined, to raise it to 20% (thereby taking care of the 3 point shortfall that 3 17% pieces would have).

If it breaks, recreate the piece and try again.
Wouldnt it be better to Imbue Phys to max? I have no idea what mods he want but it just feels that it would be better to imbue all 5 mods as high as possible and then enhance it.
Imbuing noob here so i might be missing something.

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wouldnt it be better to Imbue Phys to max? I have no idea what mods he want but it just feels that it would be better to imbue all 5 mods as high as possible and then enhance it.
Imbuing noob here so i might be missing something.
When using three pieces with 17 phys resist the total phys on the suit is 67. He only needs three more. By doing two pieces at 17 resist and one at 15 resist, I believe he'll save 10 boura pelts. The +5 phys from spined will take the piece to 20 resist and the total phys on the suit to 70. The other advantage is that 15 phys will have a higher success chance than 17, and if resist is not the last imbue (takes diamonds I think, so I'd opt for something like LRC last instead to be most cost effective) it will reduce the chance at the subsequent property imbues by less.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Theoretically you could do it with a spined kit and barbed leather as well, but consider it has worse limitations than trying to imbue the piece, in many respects.

Base resist + material + 15 as the max possible intensity, plus Exceptional bonuses.

BUT

A. only 11 (with GM arms Lore) as the resists from being exceptional, instead of 20 (the piece takes a 9-resist hit from being runic-crafted, as compared to losing only 7 from using spined leather to enhance a non-runic piece after enhancement - however, this might balance out from parts of the resists being overwritten by imbuing)
B. High likelihood of one or two unwanted properties in addition to the Physical at max, making the piece unusable for the project.
C. Will have to probably burn several spined kits to get one or two usable pieces.
D. The difficulty in getting a near-100% intensity in one specific property with a spined kit, in the first place (as imbuing it will bring it right back down to 17 max).

If you have a box of over 50 spined kits, like I do, it might be worth doing that way.

In fact, personally I'd try it both ways - I'd attempt to make with regular leather, imbue, and enhance a couple with spined. And if both broke, then I'd burn a couple spined kits using barbed leather trying for a good, imbuable, physical resist piece (continuing to alternate between the two methods, until one of them worked).

Most people, however, don't have that luxury.