• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Gem Mining Question[s]

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been curious and have read a couple things regarding gem mining. My GM Miner can dig up perfect emeralds and similar things in Ter Mur - the other five or so gems on that list also. When reading the mining guide, it mentions that the Gem Mining book that one can buy is good for digging up normal gems. Are the normal gems the ones that one gets like rubies or emeralds from killing crystal els or similar things that you can also buy from an NPC? I don't need them and am trying to figure out whether to get the book.

Another question that I haven't seen posed. Long ago, before I split UO and returned awhile back, I had visited the 10k/day fee mine in Nujelm on the edge of town. I seem to recollect that I visited there for gem mining purposes solely - may be wrong. Is one able because, of either a faster spawn rate or the place itself, to dig up perfect emeralds/similar things to justify forking out 10k?

Thanks for any feedback.

Jack Nickelson

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think you can always enable or disable gem mining by clicking left on a shovel or pickaxe to get a menu (at least in Classic Client). And I think yes, the "basic" gems like diamonds and star sapphires are meant. You can buy them from NPC jewelers and they appear as loot on a lot of monsters. If you plan to train / use the imbuing skill you might consider piling up as many gems as possible. And now back to the game and have fun. :yell:

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't need them there is no need to get the book. If you are doing imbuing it comes in handy

Ganesh89

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep in mind as well, that if you activate mining minor gems it steals you chances to mine ore, i.e. if you would get 10 iron ore without activating gems you would get like 8 plus gems activating them.