• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

GD vs Cu vs NM/Bug vs Frenzied ??? Im Lost

• Thread starter Stormbringer127
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
S

Stormbringer127

So i looked through the forums and didnt see any kind of debate over the two of these guys. I have a bonded GD and tamed a good cu today. but not sure what I should work on training to use first and what would be best to use most. Im just been back in the game 2 or 3 weeks and decided to make my tamer my main and mostly focus on PvM.

i also have a Night mare/Rune Bug combo I could use. Im just not sure which is truly best or what to do. here are my animals stats (at least the ones i own)

GD (bonded partly trained)
920 hp, 617 str, 74/85/44/58/70
112.5 wres
102.5tact
93 resist
93 anat
116 mage
83 eval
100med

Cu sidhe (tamed today not trained)(standard color ... boo)
596 hp, 610 str, 65/36/85/30/84
69.1 wres
70.5 tact
56.3 resist
46.8 anat
85.4 healing

And as i said i have a mare/bug combo i could go with too
mare: 314hp, 522str, 63/37/30/33/27
bug: 344hp, 433str, 61/41/42/94/54
Both untrained really. little time messing around with them.

And if the answer is keep and train them all. which I most likly will do. in what order should i train them and in what case should i bring which pet.

PS. also have a pac of Frenzied im toying with the idea of playing around with when another tamer is around to "tank" the mobs. I ran around taming alot of them till i had a good pac waiting on bonding now since they are a bit fragile. their hps range from 103 to 110, and str from 137-153. Any advice on how to run a pac correctly as well would be greatly appreciated.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Depends on the situation, as anyone will tell you. You have to take into account resists, damage type, tanking power, etc. vs. your opponent.

Greater Dragon - high resist and high hp means excellent tanking power; its melee attack deals physical damage and its magic attack (in particular, fire breath) deals a great deal of fire damage. Can't be mounted, which means (a) you're on foot and (b) hard to de-aggro.

Cu Sidhe - Lower hp and resists than greater dragon, but has the ability to heal itself, giving it great tanking power; its attacks do 50% cold/50% energy damage. Can be mounted, so if fight gets too heated, you can hop on and ride to safety.

Rune Beetle & Mare (or better yet, bake kitsune) - higher overall damage output than cu or greater, but less tanking power; rune beetle deals primarily energy damage, but also deadly poisons; mare deals fire/physical/energy damage, uses magic, and can be mounted, but has very low mana pool; bake deals energy and physical damage, can cast spells, and has higher mana pool than mare, but cannot be mounted.

Frenzie Pack - with pack of 5, likely trumps the damage output of any pet or combo mentioned above, but has the poorest tanking power.

Personally, I use greater or cu for champs (usually cu, so I can mount, ride away, and heal). In the Abyss, many of my favorite mini-champs are weak to cold damage, making a cu the perfect accomplice. However, I occasionally bring a greater, when fighting mobs that are strong to cold damage (e.g., at the undead mini-champs).

At peerless, if someone else is bringing a greater to tank, I use beetle/bake combo. Would also consider using frenzied pack, but have never bothered to bond/train a pack.

S

Stormbringer127

Thanks for the info. Guess its time to work on them all training fun training.

also tonight a friend replaced one of her main GDs and gave me a mostly trained one that wasent needed. so I know have 2 GDs here is the stats on the new one
909hp, 582str, 81/89/50/60/56
119.7 wrest
107.3 tact
103.1 resist
99.9 Anat
115.3 Mage
99.9 Eval
100 Med.

So lil less hp on him. 35less str. but much better phys resist.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Regarding your pets:

GD1
920 hp, 617 str, 74/85/44/58/70
112.5 wres
102.5tact
93 resist
93 anat
116 mage
83 eval
100med
This greater is pretty decent, save for his wrestling skill. Physical resist is a but low, but good hp and str. If you can manage to train his wrestle close to 120, its a keeper.

Cu sidhe
596 hp, 610 str, 65/36/85/30/84
69.1 wres
70.5 tact
56.3 resist
46.8 anat
85.4 healing
This cu is just ok, imo. Good hp and strength, but I would prefer to see fire and cold resists in the mid-40s. Good starter cu, though, so let him bond before you use him.

909hp, 582str, 81/89/50/60/56
119.7 wrest
107.3 tact
103.1 resist
99.9 Anat
115.3 Mage
99.9 Eval
100 Med.
This greater looks great. Great resists and skills, good hp. Definitely the better of your two greaters.

S

Stormbringer127

I was pretty happy with my Cu. 596 hp max is 600, 610str max is 612, max phys and cold resist 84 or 85 energy. just low fire and poison. 36 of 45 fire and 30 of 50 poison. 2 max resist one only 1 pt off. 4hp off max and 2 str less than max. ill be keeping my eye out for another one but this seemed good and shortly after i had to stop taming cu's cause i had all the spawn points full of paragon's and couldn't find help to kill them.

im interested in training my frenzied for when i play with another tamer.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
It's not a bad cu. I just prefer my fire/poison - innately, the lowest resists seen in cus - to be in the 40s. Even if I have to sacrifice 10-15 hp, I find that they live longer with higher fire/poison resist.

jbfortune

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a Cu which is max in every resist apart from cold. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, cold is its lowest resist anyway so I wouldn't be using it to fight mainly cold damaging things anyway.

As a tamer you have to learn what fights what best. You have a stable full of pets, might as well use them. If I'm killing Succubus, my Cu tears through them twice as fast as my GD while taking less dmg.

J

[JD]

you need them all trained up and in your toolbox; keep looking for upgrades as well. the pet you use depends on what you fight. many encounters require a big tank or meatshield so you bring the dragon or cu. certain pets attack certain resistances so make sure to have 110 lore and lore the enemy to see what its vulnerable to.

i probably switch between cu and gd the most. i have a nice mare and a mediocre bug, use them very little, though its nice to have them when im not supplying the tanker GD.

S

Stormbringer127

ya ill keep looking and start training but for skills im doing pretty good. but still working on them as well.

115 Lore 120 with bird tally
96.4 taming 120 with jewels and bird tally
94.5 Vet 107.5 with jewels.

Trying to get vet and taming higher but its slow going and good enough for now.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
keep looking for upgrades as well.
There are all kinds of tamers, but for the "true" tamer I would say this is the greatest joy. Always search for that pet that's just a little bit better than what you have, and getting a case of the shakes when you find him or her. :)

jbfortune

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are all kinds of tamers, but for the "true" tamer I would say this is the greatest joy. Always search for that pet that's just a little bit better than what you have, and getting a case of the shakes when you find him or her. :)
Agreed, the only problem I have no is a full stable!

My Cu is really quite good, so when I am cycling the Cu spawn, I see really good ones, not good enough for me but to good to send to swoop to be killed.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have this problem that I'm incredibly loyal to my current cu. According to the numbers, it's just a good cu, as opposed to outstanding. I think it comes to 3.9 on the calculator, not sure though.

I've found much better, and always wind up giving them away or selling them.
I even have a 4.4 cu in my stables and always wind up using my "Snarl", simply because it was the first good cu I tamed myself.

But Snarl has done things that I've seen people with "perfect" cu sidhes get slaughtered in (Crimson Dragon tanking, for example), so he suits my purposes very well indeed.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have this problem that I'm incredibly loyal to my current cu. According to the numbers, it's just a good cu, as opposed to outstanding. I think it comes to 3.9 on the calculator, not sure though.

I've found much better, and always wind up giving them away or selling them.
I even have a 4.4 cu in my stables and always wind up using my "Snarl", simply because it was the first good cu I tamed myself.

But Snarl has done things that I've seen people with "perfect" cu sidhes get slaughtered in (Crimson Dragon tanking, for example), so he suits my purposes very well indeed.
Well that might not be as insane as it sounds. There are pet skills that you don't see on the pet skill gump. I think one of those is parry, and from what I've seen it takes longer to train than other skills. Pets will get harder to kill as you use them, even after they are fully trained according to the pet skill gump.

Not that you sound insane... :mf_prop:

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dude, i'd throw in my 2 cents.

Yes they're all good for different things but!

Remember pets like the Hiryu. they have pretty damn good resists:
Maximum: 70 90 25 50 50

nearly as good as GDs!

However they also do a special attack to lower a targets physical resists. This + disco = lots of damage! Thi is exceptionally useful in group play where GDs may be being used as they do 100% physical - it'll likely increase the damage they and any warriors/earth eles do.

Rune beetels have armour corrupt which lowers targets resists for a short time also., so there was a period where rune bettles and hiryus were used in tandem to decimate a targets resists....

Hiryus can also do double attacks and dismounts, have high wrestle and tactics and low taming requirement vs cu sidhes. their only weakness, is low cold resistance....

well worth bagging one to help you find the right GD... and a WW is well worth bagging to help you find the right Cu....