• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

gavins surgery update

F

Fraggles

gavin has now been in surgery for about 3 hours. he has been on the heart/lung machine for the last hour. the nurses are updating us every hour and everything is going good, we expect him to be off bypass in the next hour and then they should start to close the incesion. so right now its a waiting game and i will post as soon as he is out of surgery and in the ICU i will be staying at the hospital all night so i will keep the updates comming. at least these posts will keep my mind occupied!

F

Fraggles

the surgery went very well! everything went as planned and there was no complications. i have not been able to see him yet they are still getting him stable in the icu but i should be able to go in shortly. they will keep him sedated and on a breathing tube through the nite and will assess him in the morning abe possibly start to wake him up sometime tomorrow. Thank you everone for all your prayers and support you made this all work out great! there is still a long road ahead but we are off to a good start!

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know these posts might have been more just so you could type it out for your own sake, buuuut, I'm glad things went well!!

F

Fraggles

well was a bit of a rough night. gavins blood preasure keeps droping so they are doing blood transfusions throughout the night and he has started getting a fever. they say that these things are caused by his body trying to ajust to the new way that his heart is working after the surgery and its to be expected as his body ajusts. they will try to start wakeing him up this morning to get him off the breathing machine, im not looking forward to him being awake i think it will be very stressful for him. he has tubes sticking out everywhere, 5 just in his chest for draining,lines in his legs,arms,neck and grion its a sad site but we can only go up from here. until next update i hope you all have a nice day :)

L

Luna du Selene

I hope all has continued to go well for you and Baby Gavin. :grouphug:

F

Fraggles

gavin is off the breathing machine now and is awake. saddest little boy you will ever see :( for pics you can go to carepages.com and register and type in gavin mcdaniel.

L

Luna du Selene

awwwwwww Some might be sad or disheartened to see Gavin surrounded by all the machinery but I see the wonders of today's pediatrics; he is in good hands :)

So... who's watching the soccer game? LOL

L

Lunaticus

Looks like Lil' Man's in the best of hands. :thumbup1: Love seeing the World Cup on the TV!

J.B.

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been following Gavin on Care pages since his first surgery. But I have not been on in a while, and i can't believe how big he is. Sounds like everything Gavin is experiencing is normal and expected, i think that is a good sign. Take care Luna.

F

Fraggles

Gavin is out of ICU!!! He is doing very well. Yesterday he went down for a chest X-ray and had an EKG. He has a lot of fluid build up on the right side. The right side drained 263cc of fluid yesterday while the left drainage tube only drained 55cc. So, hoping to go ahead and get that left tube taken out tomorrow morning. He is definately still bloated. They are giving him Lasex to try and expel the fluid as much as possible. They had to put in a new IV tube yesterday when the other one started to leak a bit. He went down for another X-ray this morning and results are less fluid build up on the right side than yesterday but still quite a bit of fluid to get rid of. Most of recovery time is due to the fluids and his ability to expel them. He is eating some today, a graham cracker and a little ice cream. Yesterday he pretty much slept all day while today he is actually awake now for a couple of hours so far. He seems in better spirits and just loves his Blues Clues show. Thanks for your support and prayers

F

Fraggles

gavin is doing great! he got his chest tubes out yesterday and also came off oxygen. he is able to walk down to the play room and ride a little bike around the hospital floor. xmrays this morning showed some collpased lungs but moving around should fix that. he will have a echo this afternoon and a change in the meds that help get rid of fluid in his lungs and if all goes well we will be heading home by the end of the week :)

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is great news! We have all been following Gavin's Care Page. And those latest picks on the little car are so cute! He looks wonderful! Give him big hugs and kisses from us please!

F

Fraggles

Gavin is doing so good we are actually out of the Hospital!!!. Average recovery time for this surgery is 13 days and he is out in 8 days. He still has fluid build up and some issues with blood pressure, temperature and potassium levels but nothing too serious that he wouldn't be better off released. We must stay in town for a few days at least and go in for a check-up or two for X-rays of his chest to check fluid level before he will be able to fly out or leave town, but it is so nice to be out of the hospital as a family this quickly and be able to walk him down the streets in the sunshine. We will go in for a check-up the end of this week and early next week for X-ray and blood work to see if he looks good enough to fly or not. If not it may be a few more days after that but it really is nice to be able to spend time outside the hospital. Gavin is now very upset anytime he see's doctors or nurses as he was each time after he's been in the hospital. He is also not very happy having to take as many medicines as he is on right now, but he is handling it as well as can be expected. We are actually off to enjoy the Boston Childrens Museum now and see how long he has energy, mostly just pushing him around in the stroller and giving him something other than hospital rooms to look at. He whined when I had to take him into the pharmacy yesterday because it looked too much like a hospital.

Off to get some sunshine. Thanks for all the prayers, they have worked :)

F

Fraggles

We are home! after being gone for 25 days we got home last night. gavin is doing great. he is healing well and getting back to his old self. we still have a bit of recovery to do but he is just doing so well we cant belive he had open heart surgery 3 weeks ago and is already almost back to normal! in fact he is feeling to good and we have to limit what he does and he is not happy about that :(. i will be back in game in a few days and hope everyone is doing well!

F

Fraggles

well we thought we where done with the hospital thing for awhile but he had to be admited on monday due to fluid build up around his lungs :( so they have put in a chest tube and we are just waiting for the fluid to stop. it has slowed down alot and doctors say we may be released on saterday. not what we had planned for our first week home. we flew in on friday and back in the hospital 5 hours from home on monday :(

F

Fraggles

home again :lol: hopefuly for good! he lost 2lbs in 5 days poor kid is so sick of doctors and hospitals! and i dont blame him one bit

L

Luna du Selene

Thank you for allowing us to follow Gavin's progress on his Care Page :) He is truly precious.