• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Throwing] Gargoyals and shields

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Taken straight from uoguide*

"Shield Penalties

All the throwing weapons are one-handed in nature which allows the thrower to equip a shield or other item in their off hand. The player will suffer a defense and hit chance penalty for using a shield while using a throwing weapon. These penalties can be offset by investing skill points into Parrying. Player’s with no skill points in the Parry Skill will now have a minimum chance to hit."

Has anyone experimented with this? If i have 120 parry, would it be viable to use a shield with throwing? I would test it myself, but first have to train throwing.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Even with 120 parrying, carrying a shield while throwing significantly decreases hit chance. I will try to look at old publish notes, but I thought the last adjustment to parrying and throwing was in pub 71.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This is in pub 66:
  • Close Quarters Combat: A player’s dexterity and throwing skill equal to Grandmaster or higher can compensate for the hit chance penalty. Close quarters combat with a throwing weapon will no longer require you to have the swordsmanship skill to negate hit chance penalty.
  • Shield Penalties: Player’s with no skill points in the Parry Skill will now have a minimum chance to hit.

This is in pub 69:
  • Thrown Weapon DCI Penalty for a gargoyle increases as their Parrying skill increases. This was not being calculated correctly and has since been corrected. At unmodified 120 Parry players will reduce the DCI penalty to 10%.
And this is from Pub 70:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks, i really appreciate the info and the time you took to look it up. i thought an easy way to check the initial hit chance loss with shield would be to check the new stats in the health bar, but looks like it doesnt show the change there. Ill probably try parry with throwing for myself once i train throwing just to see how it plays out.

i dont really see the point of the parry calculations, i guess it could be useful for for counter-attack, reduce DCI, let the hit go thru, then be able to parry it, then be able to counterattack it.

i was hoping at 120 parry the HCI penalty would be 0, or maybe 5 percent, or even try to figure out if HCI could be overcapped to account for the loss. Ill mess around with it, but im thinking the prospects dont look good.

Thanks again for the reply.