• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Garetjax on UO official Forums

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Will someone please tell Garetjax that there is a way to make "Raffle tickets" that is 100% foolproof... I use it every Halloween.

What you do is you rename a house that you know the location to things for the Raffle such as "Prize Ticket #1" then you mark a rune in the house... these runes CAN NOT be remarked... when dropped in a runebook they give the exact location of the house. This is the "verification" of the ticket. No other rune will bear these exact coordinates and location even if they have a house in the same location on another facet the rune is marked for the facet. This allows you to create Raffle Tickets, Prize Runes to hide and have folk find... and they last a good while so you can even make them an Easter Egg Hunt... You just keep renaming the house and marking runes for however many tickets you need.

Problem solved.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Pawain Thanks for trying but obviously he doesn't get it... Runes marked in houses can NOT be remarked... they can't be changed and they bear the house name .... so if you name the properly for the raffle they can't be changed in anyway and I suppose one could duplicate it using the Quil for duplicating runebooks, but each number is only drawn once... therefore if you change the wording each time you do a Raffle it can't be kept and reused and if you change the house you mark them in the location also changes... the way to know is by putting the rune in a runebook and checking the coordinates... This VERIFIES that it's the correct winning rune... It is 100% foolproof far as I can tell. I've done this for the last several years at my annual House of Horrors house drop to give out "top" prizes. I know it works... and I've tested it.

No one but you can change the name of your house... so no one can go there and mark a new rune with a raffle number... it's seriously foolproof.

I know we used to do books with "secret" codes put in them on certain pages and all but again red leafing them and all they can also be copied... but again only 1 winner is drawn. We used to check the code in the book against our list of codes and all but again... it's random someone could figure out your coding system whatever but the rune they can not duplicate and the coordinates can't be changed. No one can rename your house but you..... this makes it 100% foolproof. Sure it's a PITA to rename your house 100X and mark 100 different runes or more but you know it works... these runes can then randomly be dropped on a steward who is given a special word to give them out and that is 1 rune per person... Stewards work pretty good... or you could randomly remove them from runic atlases and give them out one by one... but with a Steward you know she won't give more than one to a person...

I use mine and hide them in the and amongst the loot in the house... That way people have to seriously search... sometimes I put them in runebooks sometimes they are just out in the open sometimes buried in boobytrapped chests... either way it gets the job done. You have to tell him that these runes bear detailed coordinates that you can get if you drop them in a runebook. This verifies the location the rune was marked... thus verifying that it was one of the Runes you marked in YOUR house... No one can go to your house and change the name of it and mark a new rune.

The only way they could thwart this is if they went to another shard marked runes in a house in your exact location and then returned... this would take at LEAST 1 day if not 2 and they would have to have an open account to place a house in your spot and have shields to a shard that had your spot open.... which would be difficult at best. And it would require way more work than it's worth and if you do the drawing on the same day giving out the runes there is seriously NO WAY someone would have the time to actually do something like that...

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I try... but obviously Garetjax doesn't listen and Pawain doesn't explain so well...

Pawain or someone could just copy paste what I told him but meh... I tried.

Anyway, I don't post there and I'm not about to start even to help someone like this... He wants a generator to make him raffle tickets which I guess is ok but really isn't needed. Would be used by very few players don't see the DEVs needing to waste time on something to generate junk. Especially when there really are foolproof ways of generating a raffle ticket.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some people are way to paranoid. The official forum has been up well over a year (almost 2) and not one account has been lost because of it. What are people so scared of and UO is not the only game that uses this method.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Some people are way to paranoid. The official forum has been up well over a year (almost 2) and not one account has been lost because of it. What are people so scared of and UO is not the only game that uses this method.
I know how the DEVs feel about me... Hell I met them... They don't keep it a secret... there are reasons I don't post there. Even if I wanted to help people I sometimes come off a bit harsh... it's my nature. So I refuse to make any posts there at all... @Kyronix knows that I won't. If there is something important I need the DEVs to know or have to say to them I simply email him. He at least listens. Not that he can do much most the time his hands are tied by the nosering in his nose that Mesanna leads the team with. Not like he could do anything really without her approval. Of late they all seem to be on a kick of making sure not to give anyone anything unless you are a rares collector. If you are one of those people who will do anything in your power to get stuff... then they will bend over backwards to let you do that, turn a blind eye to anything and everything you do which includes run multiboxing accounts... I've reported some so many times that it's not even funny and yet they are still always there.

Doesn't matter...

At any rate they know I won't post there. I make my suggestions here and directly to Kyronix... Anything else IMO is a waste of energy. I am not posting over there anyway when many of the Mods over there are the self-same self righteous ones who used to work here. Who think that if you don't kiss the DEVs behinds you are scum. I will give credit where it is due and when it's due. Period. I am not going to sugar coat anything if I think they are doing something lousy I'll tell them so.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know how the DEVs feel about me... Hell I met them... They don't keep it a secret... there are reasons I don't post there. Even if I wanted to help people I sometimes come off a bit harsh... it's my nature. So I refuse to make any posts there at all... @Kyronix knows that I won't. If there is something important I need the DEVs to know or have to say to them I simply email him. He at least listens. Not that he can do much most the time his hands are tied by the nosering in his nose that Mesanna leads the team with. Not like he could do anything really without her approval. Of late they all seem to be on a kick of making sure not to give anyone anything unless you are a rares collector. If you are one of those people who will do anything in your power to get stuff... then they will bend over backwards to let you do that, turn a blind eye to anything and everything you do which includes run multiboxing accounts... I've reported some so many times that it's not even funny and yet they are still always there.

Doesn't matter...

At any rate they know I won't post there. I make my suggestions here and directly to Kyronix... Anything else IMO is a waste of energy. I am not posting over there anyway when many of the Mods over there are the self-same self righteous ones who used to work here. Who think that if you don't kiss the DEVs behinds you are scum. I will give credit where it is due and when it's due. Period. I am not going to sugar coat anything if I think they are doing something lousy I'll tell them so.
The MODs over there are a lot more lenient than here believe me and they work for UO. You may be surprised what you get away with on the official forums.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The MODs over there are a lot more lenient than here believe me and they work for UO. You may be surprised what you get away with on the official forums.
That would depend on who you are. And it just doesn't matter I hate those forums... You can't Like someones post... You can't link to anything useful to help other players... and you can't pretty much do anything but kiss their backsides. I'm not about to do that. I tend to be emotional and LOUD when I'm frustrated and angry... especially after having spent tons of money on UO and countless hours invested in the game and have it look like total crap and the DEVs not care... I get rather annoyed when they put out low-quality art that doesn't even remotely look like it belongs anywhere in the game...

Things like that tend to irk me. I sometimes want to just biff them over the head and ask them WTF they were thinking... like the first version of the Sun/Moondial... which was pathetic and horrible and terribly out of perspective. Sometimes I think it's just a paycheck to them and they don't even care what the stuff looks like. Gonna give you a gift but it looks like total poo and it won't go with anything you have it'll stand out like a huge zit on the end of your nose... But hey we gave you something praise us...

That's how I feel quite often... and going off and saying something of that nature on the official forums would get me a whole lot more than a nasty gram from Kyronix.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@MalagAste I have no clue where you are getting your info from or your pre conceived prejudice from but you can link to legitimate info and believe me it takes a lot of speaking your mind to even get a PM from the MODs but yes if you are there only to put down UO at any cost then your posts can and have been removed. There is a lot of angry criticism there but as long as it is done respectfully then it is allowed. There has been one person banned on the official forum and it took way more **** then him being banned here and yes there is drama there but nothing compared to here. The DEVs are actually listening to the players and talking to them also and no the playerbase there is in no way a bunch of pom pom wavers.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@MalagAste I have no clue where you are getting your info from or your pre conceived prejudice from but you can link to legitimate info and believe me it takes a lot of speaking your mind to even get a PM from the MODs but yes if you are there only to put down UO at any cost then your posts can and have been removed. There is a lot of angry criticism there but as long as it is done respectfully then it is allowed. There has been one person banned on the official forum and it took way more **** then him being banned here and yes there is drama there but nothing compared to here. The DEVs are actually listening to the players and talking to them also and no the playerbase there is in no way a bunch of pom pom wavers.
I have no desire to ever post there. I swore I never would and I mean to keep to it... I hate that they linked our accounts and personal information to that site and it's my protest of them doing so... I refuse to post there no matter what the need of the people that post there and I could help them but I will NOT ever post there... I will not register there and I will not ever make a post to that forum. It disturbs me that they would use my account information in that way.

So no matter what even if I know the answers that would help many of the people there I'm not about to post on that forum... It's a matter of principle. And I always stick to mine... I swore from the start that they would never ever see me post there and I mean to keep that promise. I will not under any circumstance post there... If I had to post there to keep my accounts I'd quit first.

And you can say whatever you like about the fact that people supposedly haven't lost accounts or anything due to posting there... but IMO you would never know even if it had happened... You look at even EMs and what's gone on with them and how corrupt some of them have been and then you tell me how secure that is. NO I won't be posting there and the idea that my information is already there disgusts me. I worked very hard to keep my accounts private and secure. I keep them on separate emails from my "everyday" email they have their own secure emails just for my accounts that is not given out or posted anywhere at all and they are only used for the accounts... I spend most my time behind a VPN... I don't like to risk things... and they just went and linked my account to their website like it's nothing??? And I'm supposed to accept that???

No, it's my protest and I know I'm not alone there. I have a legitimate reason to be untrustful of it... and if you are fine with it that's on you. I told them from day one I would never ever post there... or register there... or anything and I meant it.

It's not preconceived prejudice... it comes from a LONG history of seeing how things work at UO.