• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] Gardening in SA *spoiler alert*

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So with the expansion about to come out, there is a lot of good news for gardeners...for those that aren't in beta and don't know about this, I thought I'd post it here....so...spoiler alert! new stuff coming up...
So here it is ...
Deco plants will finally have other uses besides deco - and! they are expendable (as I've been told) so the demand for them will be a steady stream of income for us gardeners.

Petra Fyde recently put up the first of several new pages about the SA expansion - this one is about Staining...
http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=31012

in a nutshell...it's using clippings from deco plants to make dyes! (and let me say o.m.g. hehe) - read the page for the long process required, which in the end will give a wide variety of shades from every kind of colored plant there is. (and let me say now, I simply can not stand the wait to try some of this out!)

now also I've heard that plant clippings are used in basketweaving. I've yet to hear any comprehensive telling of how this works - perhaps someone that is in beta can tell us here (the only thing I think I read was the baskets take on the hue of the plant the clippings came from - I could perhaps be remembering that incorrectly)

more to come on this (I hope!) as soon as I read anything about it!

finally another tidbit I read in this thread:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=152261

Post #69
Regine posts:
On a slightly off topic, while as Draconi said seed jars didn't make the expansion, you will be able to stack seeds of the same color/type when SA launches. This should already be available for testing on Retribution and work retroactively on seeds obtained pre-SA.
this is just...beyond awesome - I couldn't be happier :)

---
and one little ps tidbit thrown in for good measure:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=152257

second post by Tina Small explains snake charming in good detail

...that is all, can't wait for SA!

D

Deb

OMG SEED STACKING WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Big HUGS to those that did that:danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb:

Laina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is just fantastic :) I can't wait to try it either!

Does anyone know if the dyes are going to be able to be used on anything or just enhanced and artifact pieces?

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is just fantastic :) I can't wait to try it either!

Does anyone know if the dyes are going to be able to be used on anything or just enhanced and artifact pieces?

For furniture armor weapons and such its enhanced (maybe non-enhanced too.. can't remember), but it can also be used on books, spellbooks, cloth, clothing, cloth containers, the new customizeable carpets, and many other things I can't quite remember.. they're very versatile dyes :)

Also, seed stacking seems to not be working right.. I targeted a plant bowl with a stack of two seeds and ended up with no seeds left... it planted both at once apparently.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
O.

M.

G.

I'd better get cracking on growing some colored plants! I only do plain for my shop but WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee finally a use for a dull blue tribarrel cactus!!

OH BOY can't wait!!!

Laina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This just gets better and better :)

Not that I needed an excuse to grow more plants but wow...this is really awesome!

but you lost me on carpets? I must have missed customizable carpets??!?

:danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb::danceb:

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So for growing plants for dye production, since the plant type doesn't matter, HMM what is the hardiest plant type - the type that would need the fewest potions to get to day 9?

Not campions ;) Cacti here I come!

F

Flora Green

Wow! *falls off chair* I was thisclose to cancelling my storage acct for good, now I can just start it back up in a couple of months. This is VERY cool news! :danceb::danceb:

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but you lost me on carpets? I must have missed customizable carpets??!?
If you've played a long time, you might remember that years ago they put up on test for a few days a "customizeable floor tile" purchase and placement system based on something Dermott came up with originally that eventually led to the AoS customizable housing, but was taken down due to various exploits... well, they finished it. There's an NPC at the Tailor in the Royal City in Ter Mur that has a quest to get access to them.

Dermott posted a thread about it himself.
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=152203

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crysta, did you gather like seeds and then stack them or were they the ones from the bog thing that are already stuck together? those were buggy in beta and I haven't yet tried to see if they are still stuck together from him

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crysta, did you gather like seeds and then stack them or were they the ones from the bog thing that are already stuck together? those were buggy in beta and I haven't yet tried to see if they are still stuck together from him
Ah.. they were from the Bog Thing.. guess they're still buggy then.. heh.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone know if the *type* of plant determines the # of clippings/reeds you get from the plant?

Thanks!

kittykat

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shelleybean - thanks for the links! I didn't realize they'd put up info on stuff yet *reads* (pardon the pun)

Hyssmaye - I'd say for the least potions go with any of the cacti family or snake plants - all 4 are really easy to maintain with little potion and water needs.

Flora - Regine was right hehe - she said some time ago that there was something in SA that would make you very happy :)

I soo can not wait for all this - finally having time tomorrow to download and install the new client so I can check it all out - I just can't wait any longer hehe (orginally meant to wait till release to see everything because we've just been so busy this month lol - so much for that!)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This stuff is kind of bittersweet for me, looks like the new dyes will ruin the value of my ranger green plate tunic, all the sigil hued items I have except possibly torches and lanterns? as well as the 20 or so bushels I have. *sigh*

Oh well, seed stacking is pretty neato. *kicks dirt*

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sarsmi, pretty sure they're named differently? the bushels, I mean... and maybe some colors are protected, I remember there was some concern about this very thing, especially with reward cloth colors (tho not nearly as dear as the ranger stuffs)

Laina

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for that link Crysta :)

I don't know what to say other than - wow - seed stacking, dyes, customizable carpets? I am so happy they have given us addition uses for plants that make them expendable. My house is overflowing with plants and this is just perfect timing.

It will be disappointing to lose the sigil items though and half a dozen other really nice rares that are now artifacts. I was pretty sad when I saw all that but there's certainly seems to be things that are making up for it. There's even battle chicken breeding now complete with eggs and a coup too if you missed it :)

http://www.uoherald.com/guide/guide.php?guideId=277

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sarsmi, pretty sure they're named differently? the bushels, I mean... and maybe some colors are protected, I remember there was some concern about this very thing, especially with reward cloth colors (tho not nearly as dear as the ranger stuffs)
For Basketweaving they're named the same, but you can't make the base color for the sprites.. plain clippings make them whitish-grey.

And I doubt you can dye torches.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For Basketweaving they're named the same, but you can't make the base color for the sprites.. plain clippings make them whitish-grey.

And I doubt you can dye torches.

That seems weird to me though...the base color probably looks the best (well IMO). Re-hued never seems to look as good because the shading gets messed up (among other reasons). Oh well, as a friend pointed out to me, I tend to hoard. It's really only my own fault when they recycle the art that I'll end up having a dozen of whatever it is. :p

I *am* excited about the floor thing, was getting a little tired of avocado green floor pentagram centers. And new dyes sound fun. I envision my colored plant vendors getting bought out pretty quickly. Which is kind of sad actually, I was getting used to only having to grow plains and new plants and then getting to do crossing experiments trying to get all the weird new plant colors. It takes long enough to water em as is. :D

aoLOLita

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had several chests of hued Invasion armor in my "SA Imbuable loot" warehouse that i just put on vendor yesterday after seeing the dye charts - to my non-discerning eye, they looked alike:) Now I have more room to hoard colored plants!

Yes no time for plantling & cultivating - I would much rather reward you diligent planters with gold:)

S

soulstoner

wowzy wow wow --- That's ALL sooo very kewl, creative, and respectfully responsive to many good requests. I luv the intricacies (silver serpents/toxic slith/etc) involved in the hueing and weaving.

Neat new projects for my gardener/alchemist/cook char to work with bf’s tinkerer/crafter char ... tis nice to get out of the killing fields and do crafts together every so often :smooch.

*high fives* to the devs and big big :D:D grins all around –

*humm wondering how well the gargoyle/demon slayers will work in pvp against the gargoyle folk....*

PS speaking of cooking and doing stuff together ... saw Julie & Julia last night ... 4 thumbs up [imho] - it's absolutely delightful

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The info on the UO website in the Playguide states this:

"This system introduces a mini-game which allows gardeners, cooks and alchemists to transform player grown plants and harvested berries into natural dyes. These items are consumables with limited charges."

Does anyone know if the berries will be included, and if these are tribal berries, or something else?

Thanks! :)

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you thank you thank you for the seed stacking! I'm running out of room in my house, and it'll be worse now that I need to start collecting all the legacy plants and learning how to crossbreed them all :D

*starts making a list of skills to start working up to prepare for the expansion*

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another cool thing is that fertile dirt can be purchased for 2 gold each at the mage shop in Ter Mur since is it a reagent used in mysticism. :danceb:

M

Myna

indeed the greatest idea the dev ever had, cant wait to myke dyes on my shard too

but the bad news is, or maybe good?, for the most colors you need white or black to mix and that seed you can only get in the naturalist quest after exploring the 5th egg nest with a chance of 33%.

and you know these plants dont produce seeds, also you need a ton of green thorns

i started already to gather this seeds and to produce green thorns, i will be ready when SA is releasede

this will be indeed a long process to make these dyes, but i love it

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This stuff is kind of bittersweet for me, looks like the new dyes will ruin the value of my ranger green plate tunic, all the sigil hued items I have except possibly torches and lanterns? as well as the 20 or so bushels I have. *sigh*
I tried to avoid some of those colors but when it comes to old rares, getting their exact hues is not easy so unfortunately, there are bound to be casualties. But torches and lanterns cannot be dyed.

You can get the original color of the baskets by using scouring toxins on them.

The info on the UO website in the Playguide states this:

"This system introduces a mini-game which allows gardeners, cooks and alchemists to transform player grown plants and harvested berries into natural dyes. These items are consumables with limited charges."

Does anyone know if the berries will be included, and if these are tribal berries, or something else?
I originally planned on using the tribal berries and other type of berries/fruits as part of the Staining system, but ran out of time! So no, they are not part of it at this time. Maybe in the future.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the info Sakkarah! AND thanks so much for the gardening additions too - I'm just so excited about the new content!! Have colored cacti growing everywhere to prepare for the release.

:danceb:

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the response Sak. I'm sure it must be hard working around the 1001 old rares in the game and trying to introduce new fun things without ruining the old. I really do love that we get new dyes!

Not sure who is in charge of the puzzle items but they may want to re-label the rewards (moulding board etc) to something besides their base name. I think there is a thread on the rares collectors forum about what SA rares will ruin old rares, if you want to take a peek. :)

Sakkarah_

VIP
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the response Sak. I'm sure it must be hard working around the 1001 old rares in the game and trying to introduce new fun things without ruining the old. I really do love that we get new dyes!

Not sure who is in charge of the puzzle items but they may want to re-label the rewards (moulding board etc) to something besides their base name. I think there is a thread on the rares collectors forum about what SA rares will ruin old rares, if you want to take a peek. :)
Hard? Try a real nightmare :wall:

*equips flame resistant suit and heads over to rares forum* :sad3:

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
could name the new stealable moulding board a 'floured bread board' ? for the connected bottles, put something in them.... 'bottles of brown ale', 'jugs of apple cider' (better yet 'jugs of applejack')

F

Flora Green

Have any of you adjusted prices on your plants yet for the upcoming additions? I was selling colored plants for 200gp, but am thinking I should bump them up. I'm definitely raising the price of black plants and possibly white.

Hyssmaye

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have any of you adjusted prices on your plants yet for the upcoming additions? I was selling colored plants for 200gp, but am thinking I should bump them up. I'm definitely raising the price of black plants and possibly white.

The only colored plants I sell are black and white, and I pulled them all off my vendors when I found out about the new dyes. I may make them available for sale again once the expected initial insanity over the dyes abates, but for now I'm hoarding :D

IMO I'd bump the colored plants WAY up or stock limited quantities - I imagine they'll get scooped up by people wanting them for dyes. Unless you don't want to make dyes to keep or sell yourself, then you could bump the price and be a 'dye ingredient' merchant...

F

Flora Green

I had some colored plants in storage and have been restocking the vendors today, except for black and white. They're so hard to get anyways from crossing and with Halloween coming AND the dyes, I can't imagine there won't be a demand for black. Normally I sell the basic colored plants for 200gp, I don't see a couple hundred gp increase as unreasonable. I ran across some today for 1k on Origin. I'm not sure if that's sad or good. :)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Didn't see anyone mention this but it also looks like the acid slimes that you use like dye tubs will be a permanent fixture in the Stygian Abyss dungeon. Unless things change in the final tweaking of things, they can be found just to the "left" of the center of the Abyss. They have a very large area to roam in and there was no other spawn in the area that I was able to find, just regular and hued acid slimes. The acid slimes in the Underworld (and possibly also the ones in the Abyss) also occasionally drop as loot a decorative item that looks like spilled water that is called something like "congealed acid slime." The fire ants also drop a decorative/quest item called "Seared Fire Ant goo." Looks like spilled orange juice or something.

F

Flora Green

Didn't see anyone mention this but it also looks like the acid slimes that you use like dye tubs will be a permanent fixture in the Stygian Abyss dungeon. Unless things change in the final tweaking of things, they can be found just to the "left" of the center of the Abyss. They have a very large area to roam in and there was no other spawn in the area that I was able to find, just regular and hued acid slimes. The acid slimes in the Underworld (and possibly also the ones in the Abyss) also occasionally drop as loot a decorative item that looks like spilled water that is called something like "congealed acid slime." The fire ants also drop a decorative/quest item called "Seared Fire Ant goo." Looks like spilled orange juice or something.
I can see the "orange juice" in kitchens now. :) Sounds cool.

T

Tay M'real

this is great - the ability to 'stain' armors and the like without tokuno dyes is a great opportunity to add some flare to the game...so much of the same colors around, any opportunity to expand that is good...

Saunders

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please indulge my obsession with the different whites available in UO...

Is the new white dye the same as Luna white Tok dye?
Is it the same as the spider silk cloth white?
Is it the same as reward cloth white?
Is it the same as the dull polar bear mask?

(I suspect there are 3 whites in UO, but have never managed to line them all up.)

S

soulstoner

Neat-O !!! That Rocks!! Thanks for that info Tina.
-------------------------------
Anyone know where you get or how you make scouring toxins?
The following shared by KittyKat has info on Scouring the bottom of the referenced link:
Petra Fyde recently put up the first of several new pages about the SA expansion - this one is about Staining...
http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=31012
Got Alchemy!!?? :stir:

M

Myna

The only colored plants I sell are black and white, and I pulled them all off my vendors when I found out about the new dyes.

why do you still sell them? imho these are the most important colors at all

you need them to mix with regular pigments to get the darker and lighter ones ... so you will need tons of them if you want to sell all kind of colors