• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

gardening for profiteers

Yellow Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was selling colored plants the same price as plain plants until I caught a local vendor buying all of the colored plants that I had worked hard to raise and converting them into dyes and making an enormous profit. This only makes sense and if I were that vendor and the opportunity arose I certainly would do the same thing. I have since stopped selling any colored plant, green, orange or purple seed. I sell dyes and no longer feed the competition.

S

Stewpid

I was selling colored plants the same price as plain plants until I caught a local vendor buying all of the colored plants that I had worked hard to raise and converting them into dyes and making an enormous profit. This only makes sense and if I were that vendor and the opportunity arose I certainly would do the same thing. I have since stopped selling any colored plant, green, orange or purple seed. I sell dyes and no longer feed the compition.
This works if you have an alchemist or I believe a cook to make the dyes. :) I have a someone who grows plants and makes clippings for me, which I convert into dyes. I am completely unable to grow plants myself (lot's of dead plants), and I give her half of the profits, so it's a win/win for the both of us. :)

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was selling colored plants the same price as plain plants until I caught a local vendor buying all of the colored plants that I had worked hard to raise and converting them into dyes and making an enormous profit. This only makes sense and if I were that vendor and the opportunity arose I certainly would do the same thing. I have since stopped selling any colored plant, green, orange or purple seed. I sell dyes and no longer feed the compition.
Sadly I figured this out also sometime ago ...
Atm, it is kind of useless to sell plants ... or you have to sell them a little under dye price, but then all start to shout you are a scammer, if you sell for the old day regular prices you get exactly what is described above.

Lucky I am a gardner, alchy and cook so I just went into the dye/SoR business, and even with my dyes I know some buy mine and sell with a mark up in Luna.
I was forced to adjust my B&W dyes prices to tone this effect down a bit.

Sad acutally ...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When I heard the stains were coming, I bought every colored plant in Luna and scoured the land for more. I pulled all my plants off my vendors.

The Luna vendors had to adjust their stain prices to beat me. I would buy their stains and put them on my vendor. I made more gold than I ever have in UO in the weeks that stains came out.

Now the market has settled and colored plant prices are dropping.

There is no reason that a gardener should sell plants for less than potion costs.

Dropping runes works. Let players know that Luna is not the only choice!

twoburntfouryou

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I heard the stains were coming, I bought every colored plant in Luna and scoured the land for more. I pulled all my plants off my vendors.

The Luna vendors had to adjust their stain prices to beat me. I would buy their stains and put them on my vendor. I made more gold than I ever have in UO in the weeks that stains came out.

Now the market has settled and colored plant prices are dropping.

There is no reason that a gardener should sell plants for less than potion costs.

Dropping runes works. Let players know that Luna is not the only choice!
Selling plants at the same price as the dyes only drives the price up of the dyes. And the dyes have dropped in price alot. I can sell both very cheap I grow plants and have a alchemist. And my yard is always pretty with plants which now are kinda hard to find.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Selling plants at the same price as the dyes only drives the price up of the dyes. And the dyes have dropped in price alot. I can sell both very cheap I grow plants and have a alchemist. And my yard is always pretty with plants which now are kinda hard to find.
I put my colored plants at 5000. After they quit selling I have been putting the new ones on top of them at 500.

Since seeds started stacking (sorta) I have been planting my old seeds, so I had lots of colored plants.

I don't think I clipped any of my deco plants. Maybe a few that didnt have the color in the title.

At 500 I dont think I make a profit. I dont have an alchemist.

Yellow Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I put my colored plants at 5000. After they quit selling I have been putting the new ones on top of them at 500.

Since seeds started stacking (sorta) I have been planting my old seeds, so I had lots of colored plants.

I don't think I clipped any of my deco plants. Maybe a few that didnt have the color in the title.

At 500 I dont think I make a profit. I dont have an alchemist.
Selling plants for 500 is just giving your plants away to someone who will make a huge profit from them. I would suggest that you find an alchemist and make a deal. You grow the plants they furnish the snake venom and make the dyes and you split the profits 50/50. The going price for dyes are rediculous 75,000g and 150,000g on Origin for a 500g plant and a snake venom that is easy to get and should sell for about 500g each. I have an alchy and do make dyes. It is very easy and very inexpensive.

S

Stupid Miner

*shrugs*
Legitimate gardening has never actually turned a profit. No one buys plants at prices that reflect the effort involved in growing.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I also think it is sad ...

Is the baskets we can craft now.
These are also not really worth the time, effort and plants compaired what people are willing to pay for these.

Atm I sell common colored dyes for 25k, rare colored for 75k, and B&W for 200k, dual colored (dark red) for 225k.
All but the trees I clip, the trees I sell for 250k.

Looking at these prices, and linking the worth of a plant to what I sell for stated above, baskets would reach sell prices that are beyond rediculous.

Let's say I make a white basket using 2 reeds that would mean 4 white plants will be needed to craft this.
As one plant is worth 200k for me, the basket would have to fetch 800k!!! (I think no one would pay such an amount) to make good for the effort, not even counting the time also invested to hunt snakes and sloth thingies to have the additional materials to actually craft the basket.

Now because I have plenty of plants and I just like to craft, I made 2 types of baskets (1 reed ones) in each common color and put them on my vendor at 10k each, in 2 months I sold 2 baskets ...

twoburntfouryou

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I also think it is sad ...

Is the baskets we can craft now.
These are also not really worth the time, effort and plants compaired what people are willing to pay for these.

Atm I sell common colored dyes for 25k, rare colored for 75k, and B&W for 200k, dual colored (dark red) for 225k.
All but the trees I clip, the trees I sell for 250k.

Looking at these prices, and linking the worth of a plant to what I sell for stated above, baskets would reach sell prices that are beyond rediculous.

Let's say I make a white basket using 2 reeds that would mean 4 white plants will be needed to craft this.
As one plant is worth 200k for me, the basket would have to fetch 800k!!! (I think no one would pay such an amount) to make good for the effort, not even counting the time also invested to hunt snakes and sloth thingies to have the additional materials to actually craft the basket.

Now because I have plenty of plants and I just like to craft, I made 2 types of baskets (1 reed ones) in each common color and put them on my vendor at 10k each, in 2 months I sold 2 baskets ...
Very sad the same thing happen to me. I was all excited about the baskets untill I saw the cost and other stuff that goes into making them and nobody is buying them can not give them away. I like them so I make them for myself not worth trying to make them for a profit. And on GL the plants are going for about 1000k the dyes I can not sell for 15k for reg colors . B&W well can not sell them either unless you ask a very low price. And right at this point I need to mark all my plants down to 500gp as they are not even selling for 1000gp:confused:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*shrugs*
Legitimate gardening has never actually turned a profit. No one buys plants at prices that reflect the effort involved in growing.
Exactly!

Thats why I love the dyes. Thorns and petals make up for the other losses.

F

Flora Green

While it's common for people to buy you out of *insert good here* and resell at a higher profit, I got fed up with it on Origin. In all my years of playing, it was worse there than anywhere else and mainly by one person in general. I wish you well selling anything there that is grown or crafted, Yellow Beard.

eta: RL has kept me busy for the past 3 months so I've not been playing. However, I am thinking when I start again, I will simply put out plain and peculiar plants, sell dyes and only do special orders for colored plants. The decorating community is really hurting for plants now. While I love having the dyes in game, I wish it would have been implemented better such as having new components introduced as the color base. Maybe new gems or stones only used for the dyes.

The baskets don't sell, you can't even give them away, and the dye addition has harmed gardeners to an extent more than helped them. Horizons had a very cool system of dying in place that was multi step, had rare components and required more than one profession also.

F

Flora Green

I hear you about resellers. How about when you put out little freebies to surprise your customers and find them "for sale" on nearby vendors. That's interesting.
I once had neighbor on Chessy who would buy my tailored goods (GM marked no less) and sell them. The guy was nearly GM himself but he continued doing this. Finally, I put a bunch of the same item up at my usual price and in the middle of the stack I placed a few with extra zero's. He bought the entire stack, but never resold my goods again. :mf_prop:

He also wanted to buy my small tower to expand his shop and I refused. It was before Luna and having a spot next to the graveyard in Brit was a big thing, so I wasn't going to give that up. I think that is what set off the buying spree he went on as some sort of retaliation.

T

Takissis

I have 2 vendors side by side in Luna. Both sell plants, just plain, no colored. One vendor has peculiar plants, the other the old style plants. I round these out with seeds of renewal, orange petals, and stealables.

I'll never be the richest woman on UO, but I have lots of fun growing plants. I do a decent business. I'm the only one in Luna who sells regular plants for a reasonable price, so I get many repeat customers.
This is actually incorrect. I also have two plant vendors in luna that sell just plain plants (well mostly, I toss good black or whites on there occasionally). If you are the vendor I believe, our prices are about even. I'm about 5 plots down from you. I actually threw a lot of gold on your vendors when I came back about 3 months ago and started decorating houses again. Then I decided it was ridiculous and started planting again.

The seeds of renewal are all that is really selling at this point. I figure your vendors are much better known and it will take time to get any customers for the rest of the plants.

But anyway, you aren't the only vendor in Luna selling plain plants around the 5-7.5k range.