• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

gametime for gold

StarstrukK

Adventurer
I know this will never happen but I was just looking for the general opinion of stratics on their arguments against having an official gold sink in game to purchase 30 days of gametime for gold. For Hypothetical purposes lets say 30 days gametime = 100 million gold in game.

Personally with the game going to Endless Journey I don't really see any negative to having an official method to legally buy gametime with gold and I think it could be a massive goldsink that this game is desperately in need of to hopefully start getting the economy in some form of reasonable shape.

Like I said I know the majority of stratics will be opposed to something like this and just was curious if you could share your opinion on why it would be bad for the game

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I know this will never happen but I was just looking for the general opinion of stratics on their arguments against having an official gold sink in game to purchase 30 days of gametime for gold. For Hypothetical purposes lets say 30 days gametime = 100 million gold in game.

Personally with the game going to Endless Journey I don't really see any negative to having an official method to legally buy gametime with gold and I think it could be a massive goldsink that this game is desperately in need of to hopefully start getting the economy in some form of reasonable shape.

Like I said I know the majority of stratics will be opposed to something like this and just was curious if you could share your opinion on why it would be bad for the game
As long as it is from the official IN GAME store I would be for it. As long as no illegal (yes, actually that's what they are) 3rd party sites/players are involved. The drawbacks I see however are, 1) BS/EA/Whoever loses the $$$ from the game time subscriptions, and they wouldn't let that happen. 2) IF they DID allow this, then I can easily see how the RMT losers/crooks would use gold to buy codes, and then turn around and sell them for RL$$$. But at less than the cost of the subscription from BS. So I would bet it will never happen. But who knows.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
LOL Wut? There is no law against it.
My bad, I should have phrased it differently. Perhaps "a violation of the UO terms of service" Technically a bannable offense. But apparently the "powers that be" at the present time choose not to do anything about it. ALTHOUGH, I have heard some grumblings that in the near future you will see a "different level" of accountability. One I look forward to.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My bad, I should have phrased it differently. Perhaps "a violation of the UO terms of service" Technically a bannable offense. But apparently the "powers that be" at the present time choose not to do anything about it. ALTHOUGH, I have heard some grumblings that in the near future you will see a "different level" of accountability. One I look forward to.

I'm sure there will be a token effort that quickly fizzles...kinda like all the others

TheWolf

Adventurer
I would quit if this happens.

The scripting seems to be out of control. People with half a dozen or a dozen accounts scooping up loot at idoc castles in literally seconds. How can anyone legitimately fill up 20+ pack horses simultaneously? Then theres the duping claims lately. Just what the game needs, all the unsavory players with even more accounts and not costing them a dime out of pocket.

Please tell me 1 good reason why this should happen

TheWolf

Adventurer
After thinking about this some more, it just seems plain ridiculous...

This is like going into mcdonalds, using a coupon, then walking over to the ketchup dispenser, then walking back to the register, and trying to pay with a gallon of ketchup.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I agree with others here, I'm not sure this is a good idea, surely they will just lose out on revenue and it will really only help the people with the most plat, in some cases those would be scripters...they do have systems like this in some free games but you convert the gold to other forms of currency useable in the game store.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO the only thing that would do would be to encourage script gold farmers...

Belmarduk

Adventurer
Why not ?

Worked well with Eve-Online and together with zero-tolerance-policy towards farmers it was a win-win situation
And is a goldsink !!!!

Player A: Bought gametime from Player B for ingame-currency ( with a system controlled by CCP - no scams possible )
Player B: Bought ingame-curreny for real-world currency directly from CCP

The ratio should be fixed though - due to non-fixed ratios the gtc-prices have skyrocketed the last few years...

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well there is EJ! Free isn't cheap enough! Pay me to play! They'll get tons of subscribers! :p

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Though i'm all for more gold sinks, I don't think this will ever happen legally (as in it's already happening illegally)... EA already has Origin.com selling these codes and they wouldn't want to lose that revenue by possible duped/cheated/farmed gold. If anything they could allow them to be purchased through the Ultima Store using sovereigns, but it's still not clear who gets that income (EA or Broadsword)

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd love it if they'd do it like WOW does it. Player A buys a specific game time code token which goes into the in-game auction system. Player B buys the game time code in game with gold. Blizzard charges more for the token to Player A than a regular game time code, so they still get the revenue from the game time code sales.

This would also curb the un-official game time sellers.

All in all, it seems like a win-win system to me.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wait, why would I want to pay more for a GTC just to auction it off

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'd love it if they'd do it like WOW does it. Player A buys a specific game time code token which goes into the in-game auction system. Player B buys the game time code in game with gold. Blizzard charges more for the token to Player A than a regular game time code, so they still get the revenue from the game time code sales.

Not really a gold sink though... This would just encourage more gold farming. Even in WoW it caused a lot of people to level alts and farm gold through missions.

UO sorely needs a new primary currency or huge gold sinks for items that have little game impact.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

I sorta ok with that. I guess

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

This would only work if in-game gold wasn't so cheap... Either they would have to sell the tokens for a platinum or more or there would be no profit in selling it in-game... with gold being seriously cheap and the token would then cost at least $15 or more... imagine how much the token would have to sell for...

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this works in other games, and is pretty common now, but it wouldnt work for UO in its current state.

As much as i would like to see it myself, UO doesnt have an economy thats regulated enough to allow for this. In games where this is successful, theres usually a means where the value of in game currency is tied to a store, or exchange rate (think if you could buy sovereigns for gold, and vice versa)

If this was to be considered, the devs would also have to analyze:

average cost of gold from sellers, and availability at those prices,
number of paid subs lost,
possible income gained (such as if you could pay in gold, but those accounts might be intriqed to buy something else, such as new 1 time purchase house or land)
"cheating" to make gold would have to be enforced

just for fun, i was thinking of what gold price this would have to cost to be somewhat effective now, and came up with 300million for 1 month game time code, and would have to adjust (most likely raise) that price in the future.

I suppose if someone wanted to pay that, it would be nice if they could, we do have the in game store, so i might be technically possible, but im not even sure on this.
Its a fun thought, but all things considered doesnt seem like there would be enough financial benefit to gain from having this system in UO. The consideration wouldnt be direct financial gain (beause that would be 0) but indirect, like how many paying accounts would be retained directly because of the gold-paid accounts adding to a healthy game population.

hardy-

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WHy dont make like other games

Player buy UOGT Token with sovs on game store
Player put the UOGT Token in a vendor and sell to other players, let the market set the price.

Sell the UOGT token for like 14 usd

TheWolf

Adventurer
Not really a gold sink though... This would just encourage more gold farming. Even in WoW it caused a lot of people to level alts and farm gold through missions.

UO sorely needs a new primary currency or huge gold sinks for items that have little game impact.
If you are looking for huge gold and time sinks, check out the clean up rewards. After about 9 months of trashing everything from level 5 maps, 110-120 power scrolls, artifact rarity 9+, lots of old holiday rewards from 1999-2004, higher end monster loot. I will modestly estimate I had spent about an extra 255 hours to pick up the more valuable turn in point loot, and transfer to the trash can. I had finally accumulated about 300k turn in points. At this point, there is no clean up rewards I cant live without, but I could use some extra gold in my pockets. So I start price checking the higher end rewards. Dyes 250k points, 5-10m gold. Talismans 300k points, 7-12m gold. Vollem 500k points, 2-10m. My conclusion now is don't bother picking up any extra items to weigh you down. Time does not equal gold in UO.

Another gold sink I have noticed is EM event items. These are easily 150m + a pop and sell immediately. They honestly have no impact. They don't even look that great when locked down in your home. I mean this game is 2d from 1997, no item in this game is jaw dropping aesthetically appealing. I could sit on actual useful gear / items for weeks or months and not even sell them at a fraction of the cost of the EM event items.

I could go on, but I wont. It's pretty obvious UO hasn't changed much in 20 years

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you are looking for huge gold and time sinks, check out the clean up rewards. After about 9 months of trashing everything from level 5 maps, 110-120 power scrolls, artifact rarity 9+, lots of old holiday rewards from 1999-2004, higher end monster loot. I will modestly estimate I had spent about an extra 255 hours to pick up the more valuable turn in point loot, and transfer to the trash can. I had finally accumulated about 300k turn in points. At this point, there is no clean up rewards I cant live without, but I could use some extra gold in my pockets. So I start price checking the higher end rewards. Dyes 250k points, 5-10m gold. Talismans 300k points, 7-12m gold. Vollem 500k points, 2-10m. My conclusion now is don't bother picking up any extra items to weigh you down. Time does not equal gold in UO.

Another gold sink I have noticed is EM event items. These are easily 150m + a pop and sell immediately. They honestly have no impact. They don't even look that great when locked down in your home. I mean this game is 2d from 1997, no item in this game is jaw dropping aesthetically appealing. I could sit on actual useful gear / items for weeks or months and not even sell them at a fraction of the cost of the EM event items.

I could go on, but I wont. It's pretty obvious UO hasn't changed much in 20 years
A gold sink is when the gold leaves the game completely... it's not when it trades hands to another player. These people have been trading gold between each other and buying it back for real cash for years.

TheWolf

Adventurer
A gold sink is when the gold leaves the game completely... it's not when it trades hands to another player. These people have been trading gold between each other and buying it back for real cash for years.
I see what you mean, make sense. I guess the currency will leave game when the player does. Or leave the game when accounts start getting banned.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I see what you mean, make sense. I guess the currency will leave game when the player does. Or leave the game when accounts start getting banned.
*looks forward to the day/cheaters/scripters/RMT players start getting banned* (but is NOT holding breath) :)