• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gameinformer ranks UO 17th best of all time

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Title says it all...UO ranked 17th best RPG of all time.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
A:link: would be appreciated... :smile2:

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Think you need to be a subscriber but there is this:
gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/05/02/the-top-100-rpgs-of-all-time-digital-issue-is-now-live-315123518927213790812.aspx

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so they were wrong....yes... UO as always been number to our secret sect ...now hush...we are a secret

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Not sure if that's official..there was The Realm I used to play before UO came out. Still alive at realmserver.com

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isn't UO the first mmorpg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In the DOS days when monitors were monochrome and there was no internet, people would pass around phone numbers to dial into dungeons that were text based. When you "logged out" you fell asleep in a corner and hoped nobody else found you.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
In the DOS days when monitors were monochrome and there was no internet, people would pass around phone numbers to dial into dungeons that were text based. When you "logged out" you fell asleep in a corner and hoped nobody else found you.
Hardly massive.

NWN was the first game I'd consider massive that I played online. It was an AOL keyword where they did D&D in the forgotten realm settings through a AOL chat. It was all text based, but they had some programming tables and such to keep track of players and character sheets and stuff. It got so big that you'd have 50+ chat rooms going with the same story arc and different GMs and they had to expand parties to 10 people. The games began to take too long with 10 people or people were being killed too easily because they'd try to balance for 10 people.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Haha, I don't mean text-based, but a graphical world where players can interact and explore together. I thought UO started the trend where players would buy virtual game items on ebay with real cash.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I loved Might and Magic Gates to Another World and Might and Magic World of Xeen (Clouds and Darkside). I was never able to play any of the others. The theme is very star trek.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
My vote goes to Legends of Kesmai which started out as a text based game that later added graphics. Out long before UO. It was massive in it's day lol. But it had wizards chanting spells, dragon lairs and the whole bit. We even had exploited rares lol. EA bought Gamestorm around the time UO came out and screwed that all up and shut down the whole game network. Gamestorm had Aliens Online, Magestorm, Air Warrior and a bunch of other stuff. It was the first service where you paid 10 bucks a month and played all you wanted. Before that it was like 3 to 5 bucks an hour to play and AOL was king of gaming. Our Legends shard is named after Legends of Kesmai so that means something. When they shut down our game they used that as part of the incitement to get us to play UO.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What is wrong with EA? Why would they ruin stuff like that? It seems like it's purposeful.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Then UO would be the first mmorpg that last the longest and is still around and getting new contents 20 years later.

Ox_AO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hardly massive.

NWN was the first game I'd consider massive that I played online. ...It got so big that you'd have 50+ chat rooms going with the same story arc and different GMs and they had to expand parties to 10 people..
Clearly you where not here at the beginning.
My guild Ancient Order had 250 people.
OSR had over 1500 people in it which was the largest on Napa Valley.
Atlantic made us look tiny even in those days.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Clearly you where not here at the beginning.
My guild Ancient Order had 250 people.
OSR had over 1500 people in it which was the largest on Napa Valley.
Atlantic made us look tiny even in those days.
Heh, yeah I remember back when there were 20-50 man guilds literally everywhere. I even had a 30 person guild at one point, that I put zero effort into. Back then you'd meet people out on the road and be like "wanna go hunt something?" head to wrong, kill some ogres, toss a guild invite...

Good times.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
If UO has a mobile version, it might bring in more players.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Heh, yeah I remember back when there were 20-50 man guilds literally everywhere. I even had a 30 person guild at one point, that I put zero effort into. Back then you'd meet people out on the road and be like "wanna go hunt something?" head to wrong, kill some ogres, toss a guild invite...

Good times.
This is a problem I've always had in forums. My reply was to another game and then two people reply to my reply as if I was talking about UO. It's because people jump to the bottom of threads or just scan for things to argue with. My comment that was replied to and that you replied to wasn't about UO.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a problem I've always had in forums. My reply was to another game and then two people reply to my reply as if I was talking about UO. It's because people jump to the bottom of threads or just scan for things to argue with. My comment that was replied to and that you replied to wasn't about UO.
Why... are you posting to me about it? I didn't respond to your comment. In fact I read both of your prior comments, and I knew what you were referring to, I wasn't replying to anything other than Ox bringing up a time I played, enjoyed, and reminisce about.

Chill, my dude. o_O