• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Provocation] Gains super slow?

• Thread starter Chimpanthrax
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

Chimpanthrax

Maybe its just my impatience showing but following the guide in the FAQ at the top where it states to do Lava Lizards then Drakes and so on, I still find that my provoke gains are rediculously slow?

Is this the norm? I have been doing nothing but upping skill for about 8 days when i get on to play (probably a total of 8 to 10 hours conservativly estimated) and have gone up from 50 to 61.2 and am currently using drakes for skill gain.

Should I check out a lower difficulty monster on the Bard Difficulty list sticky (Like Air Elems) until I get a little further along?

If its just a really slow gain skill then by all means let me know (I will still tough it out either way) but I just want to see if I am doing something horribly wrong.

Thanks,

Chimpanther a.k.a. Chimpantharax

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

At 100 Music and 50-65 Provocation I think you're supposed to be using Polar Bears.

C

Chimpanthrax

According to the sticky for new Bards by Poo at the top of the forums that is just for targetted Peacemaking. Liah's guide (within the FAQ) says that she did lava lizards to 59.2 then switched to drakes which she did until she was at 90 skill. According to that it said 8 hours or so to get from 59.2 to 90.

That being said I looked at Poo's Disco Primer and it seems that people have had decent luck doing polar bears to 60-65 then switching to Gaman's.

I will give that a try.

Thanks,

Chimpanther

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Provo and disco are really slow to train, though.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

According to the sticky for new Bards by Poo at the top of the forums that is just for targetted Peacemaking.
No it isn't.

Liah's guide (within the FAQ) says that she did lava lizards to 59.2 then switched to drakes which she did until she was at 90 skill. According to that it said 8 hours or so to get from 59.2 to 90.
That post also says the guide was written in 06 and for a 4x GM template.

That being said I looked at Poo's Disco Primer and it seems that people have had decent luck doing polar bears to 60-65 then switching to Gaman's.

I will give that a try.

Thanks,

Chimpanther
Thats what I'm using.

B

Beethoven the bard

for gaining, make sure you use non exceptional instruments, npc bought ones work well. U can also try opposite slayers. Also keep your music skill below your provo skill at all times. When you get past 105 provo and get stuck, try stoneing your music, and while continuing to provo, work your music from 0-gm again. I would lock music around 90 until you hit 120 provo. Other tips include remembering to get your daily gain from the ggs, and do some champ spawns. the lower lvl spawns can really help keep it a little less boring. Other then that, yep music skills are aggravatingly slow, but are a powerful skill.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
for gaining, make sure you use non exceptional instruments, npc bought ones work well. U can also try opposite slayers. Also keep your music skill below your provo skill at all times. When you get past 105 provo and get stuck, try stoneing your music, and while continuing to provo, work your music from 0-gm again. I would lock music around 90 until you hit 120 provo. Other tips include remembering to get your daily gain from the ggs, and do some champ spawns. the lower lvl spawns can really help keep it a little less boring. Other then that, yep music skills are aggravatingly slow, but are a powerful skill.
i...... wouldnt do any of that.

well, definatlly train using NPC purchased stuff, but do NOT lower your music below 100.
do not go over 100 either.

at 100 you never fail your music check, which is the first check done BEFORE it even gets to your provo/disco/peace skill check.
so if you are below 100 you may fail that check.
and if your training you want as many checks through to the skill your actually training.
same thing is dont go over 100, cause over 100 you get a music bonus, which again will lessen your check on your skill you are trying to train.
its the same reason you dont use GM made instramnets when training cause you get a bonus from them.

and using an opposite slayer, while sounds good, has never been proven to work.
no one has ever sat down to try it out.

and again it all comes back to pushing as many attempts through to your skill you wanna actually train to get checks on that skill.