• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Gains are horrible

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Wow is all that I can say. It took me 2-3 days to gm 2 years ago and that was maybe 9-10 total hours. On my new fisherman I have been fishing for more that 20 hours and am only at 83. Am I bugged or did they totally mess with fishing gains when they introduced High Seas?

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is this fisher on siege or a different server? Just asking since i saw you posting there.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If not on Siege:
Fishing was always slow gaining. Only that we fishers are more patiently than the tamers. :D (Let aside the time of 8*8 when fishing was easy to gain.)
Besides that is 80+ fishing now a fine point to learn the way of a fisherman. With High Seas (or maybe even with SA) some old restrictions fell. At your lvl you now can get sea serpents with mibs. You could fish up treasure, if you have some mibs from t-chests. If you later plan to do fishmonger quests, you should start to build up a decent stock of deepwater fish and crabs/lobsters. If you want to speed up gains a little, you could go for crab fishing (high seas necessary). I can set out about 30 traps in 1 Minute. (And need maybe another minute to pick them up afterwards and empty them.) The gains might not be better than fishing with a pole, but you bypass the timer of the fishing pole that way, getting more chances to gain in the same amount of time. You only have to remember, that you need to fish in deep water for gains and the same counts for fishing with traps.

Lady Tia

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Use the Ball of Knowledge and always stay at the Optimal level. This can be obtained from a quest in Ter Mur.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Use the Ball of Knowledge and always stay at the Optimal level. This can be obtained from a quest in Ter Mur.
I have this and have read where some people say you gain higher by fishing in the optimal areas and some say that you gain more in the areas where it says challenging.

I play on both Siege and Chesapeake but this character is on Chessy. I have not started one on Siege yet.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
between fishing and crabing i never had a problem gaining ....now getting the scrolls i needed was another story

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
between fishing and crabing i never had a problem gaining ....now getting the scrolls i needed was another story
Its not that I am not getting gains, its just that it has slowed WAYYYY down from a couple of years ago when I GM'd fishing on another character.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Are you sure it was only 2 years ago?

Back before they removed 8x8, fishing was one of the fastest skills (get your ship into a clear cross-planet ocean line, and cast as you sailed).

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Are you sure it was only 2 years ago?

Back before they removed 8x8, fishing was one of the fastest skills (get your ship into a clear cross-planet ocean line, and cast as you sailed).
It was January of 2010 when I GM'd my old fisherman. :(