• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gaining fishing to 120?

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Hey everyone, I have been working fishing over the last couple of weeks and have hit 105.2, I am raising to 120 and was just wondering where I should be fishing? Deep sea is now at "Very Easy" via crystal ball and gains have slowed. I tried fishing SA by the ratmen at earlier skill but that gave me "Too Easy". Just wondering if Deep Sea will take me all the way or if there is a better spot for gains. Thanks~

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Are you doing the fish monger quest? I've just always fished wherever the quest send me

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I just read up on how to do them. I was sailing to each dock lol, it was taking forever... So you gain all the way to 120 just doing those quests?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I always went over by skara and ran the line close to the server. I would fish until dry and move forward about 10 places to make sure I was in a new grid and fish again until empty. You can fish on all 4 sides of the boat. I have 2 120 fishers and that is how I did both.

WiggyJiggyJed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I haven't gotten a 120 Scroll yet, but I'm at 115 and have gotten there just by fishing while sailing between SoS locations and delivering the completed fisherman quests. It is slow.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
105 to 110 took me several hours watching movies and fishing on a macro and some time doing lobsters fishing.
I don't do 4 spot fishing. I just stay at same spot on a ship where I can offload fish to cargo hold using agent.
With 2 boura protecting me and 1 slime to feed it boots / small fish.
And sail forward/backward .
Also when do fishmonger - fishing on the way. And MiB are good for gains too.
Got 120 fishing but still wondering which of my toons will get it and become dedicated Fisher .

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I haven't gotten a 120 Scroll yet, but I'm at 115 and have gotten there just by fishing while sailing between SoS locations and delivering the completed fisherman quests. It is slow.
kinda where I'm at now, i can catch anything I need so I am doing the quests as suggested in previous posts, which is fine.... Just making sure I wasn't missing out on some location or dungeon spot that would give expedited gains

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I made a runic atlas to every dock w/ a fish monger so I can tele in as soon as I hit the sub server.... already done 5 quests so far in 3 hrs.... i have a plethora of fish but I am short on crustaceans, got a few gains stocking up already

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Once you can fish in the underworld, I found this spot. It just requires the ability to teleport (and a non-mage can do it with scrolls bought from an NPC that sells 3rd circle - humans can even attempt it at about a 25% chance of success just casting from a book).

1. Go to A.
2. Teleport to B.
3. Dismount off your pack beetle (tag-along pack animals don't work because of how teleport works)
4. There's about 2-4 spots to fish there, and you can even use crustacean traps there (can place about 8-10 if spaced right).
5. fish until the spots you can cast to all run out, then remount.
6. After remounting, teleport to C and dismount.
7. Under the bridge there's 2 more areas (not as good) to fish at, but by the time you do them the areas around B will respawn fish.
8. Remount, teleport back to B, and repeat steps 3-8 until the beetle's full and so is your pack.
9. Recall out, or teleport back to bridge area A from B.

The area itself is safe from spawn (the worst you'll see once there is a goblin if someone lures it that way), but to get to it you have to run through the worms and blood eles from the Underground entrance, take the teleporter over, then back on the bridge. Gargoyles can fly over, but they don't get to use a pack animal.

I got almost all my Fishing gains from 106-120 there.

underworldfish.JPG

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Once you can fish in the underworld, I found this spot. It just requires the ability to teleport (and a non-mage can do it with scrolls bought from an NPC that sells 3rd circle - humans can even attempt it at about a 25% chance of success just casting from a book).

1. Go to A.
2. Teleport to B.
3. Dismount off your pack beetle (tag-along pack animals don't work because of how teleport works)
4. There's about 2-4 spots to fish there, and you can even use crustacean traps there (can place about 8-10 if spaced right).
5. fish until the spots you can cast to all run out, then remount.
6. After remounting, teleport to C and dismount.
7. Under the bridge there's 2 more areas (not as good) to fish at, but by the time you do them the areas around B will respawn fish.
8. Remount, teleport back to B, and repeat steps 3-8 until the beetle's full and so is your pack.
9. Recall out, or teleport back to bridge area A from B.

The area itself is safe from spawn (the worst you'll see once there is a goblin if someone lures it that way), but to get to it you have to run through the worms and blood eles from the Underground entrance, take the teleporter over, then back on the bridge. Gargoyles can fly over, but they don't get to use a pack animal.

I got almost all my Fishing gains from 106-120 there.

View attachment 133681
Awesome info, thank you! I will give this a go tonight!

gwen

Slightly Crazed
@Basara not very good spot : you cannot make a rune there
For dungeon fishing I recommend islands in Shame (trammel) Where Blood else and UEV are.
Can teleport to the bank to empty your beetle.

Destiny<3

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am stuck at 115 fishing (Need a 120) but my favorite way to gain is just to do sos, instead of going right to the exact spot I stay back a few tiles, and fish up a lot of shipwrecked loot, which you have a chance to gain a fishing point every time you do so. Of course my method doesn't help you get a 120 from fishing quests, hehe.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I just bought the pinks I needed to go from 110-120. I think fishing is probably the most boring skill to work though so I had no interest in doing it the hard way. It's been mentioned by a few but I think fishing needs a little bit of a touch up (even if just rewards) to make it more worthwhile. That being said, I don't really enjoy fishing IRL either so maybe it's just me.

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
For dungeon fishing I recommend islands in Shame (trammel) Where Blood else and UEV are.
Ty for this, I have runes marked there for my tamer already, I will try this out tonight!

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I am stuck at 115 fishing (Need a 120) but my favorite way to gain is just to do sos, instead of going right to the exact spot I stay back a few tiles, and fish up a lot of shipwrecked loot, which you have a chance to gain a fishing point every time you do so. Of course my method doesn't help you get a 120 from fishing quests, hehe.
I have a about 50 of the normal SOS' saved up and about 4 ancients.. . so if gains are better from them I could start doing them now... I already ate the 120 fishing scroll on this char. I most def wouldn't mind doing fish monger for the potential to sell additional ones I get or stock up on lower lvls to start scroll binding them. I am just trying to focus on good spots to actually get the skill there efficiently. I was hoping to save the SOS' till capped out and do them all together but if gains are good on them I could def start sooner. TY!

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Just as an update I am at 108.2 having been doing some dungeon fishing but mostly deep sea and traveling around sub server lines doing fish monger quests

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've never gotten a rune to a Shame island to work. I've never been able to get to an island to make my own rune, either. I think the one time I went with someone who gated me to an island, I died, anyway (that was before the Shame changes, when I was a noob). Damn Krakens. How DID those runes ever get made? I've looked for 19 years for how to get to those islands and never found an explanation of a method that wasn't a long-ago fixed exploit.

My suggested spot is good advice for someone who doesn't have access to those kinds of runes anyway. It's quiet (once you get there), no chance of interruption, and you have too much time on your hands if you are going to be fishing more than 2 beetles full, if you ask me (then again, I tend to chop up the weighted fish I catch - lots of mud puppies down there). And, I have a huge supply of PoT and bags of sending if I want to empty the beetle without leaving (I used to sell the stuff before vending disappeared from all places not named Luna on my shard, and not gonna rent a vendor there)

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I've never gotten a rune to a Shame island to work. I've never been able to get to an island to make my own rune, either. I think the one time I went with someone who gated me to an island, I died, anyway (that was before the Shame changes, when I was a noob). Damn Krakens. How DID those runes ever get made? I've looked for 19 years for how to get to those islands and never found an explanation of a method that wasn't a long-ago fixed exploit.

My suggested spot is good advice for someone who doesn't have access to those kinds of runes anyway. It's quiet (once you get there), no chance of interruption, and you have too much time on your hands if you are going to be fishing more than 2 beetles full, if you ask me (then again, I tend to chop up the weighted fish I catch - lots of mud puppies down there). And, I have a huge supply of PoT and bags of sending if I want to empty the beetle without leaving (I used to sell the stuff before vending disappeared from all places not named Luna on my shard, and not gonna rent a vendor there)
I was able to mark them w/ my tamer who has magery. I basically went invisible at the shore line (so I didn't have to fight 20 blood elementals) and used the teleport spell to access the islands I wanted to mark a rune at. I marked one on each island so that I can just bounce spots easily on my fishing char. You do get some kraken aggro and you gotta be careful on the Southern most island b/c blood ele's can still cast at you. Both dungeon spots producing fish though!

Got my fishing to 110.8 and am now getting dungeon fish as requirement for a lot of the fish monger quests so I'm literally using a little bit of everything suggested from this thread.

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I walked around the entire lake back in the days before the super-spawn. I NEVER got a teleport to work, trying to teleport after each step to the closest island at the time.

It might have been related to that one bug where targeting house placement was wonky after moving your play window (intentionally or accidentally) from its default position. All I know is that some things that other people can target places I can't.

I also have an issue on all 10 or so machines I've ever played on during the last 19 years using CC, where the pin on T-maps shows up considerably west of the actual map - sometimes over a screen width. So, it wasn't a particular install. While the coordinates on the map are correct (prior to randomization, or in the random era with the Locker), the map itself in all copies of my CC using Windows XP, 7, 10 or 11. can end up way off. This was one of the more glaring examples, where the pin was entirely on one side of the creek on Amoeba island, but the chest was on the other (and about the same latitude of the pin base on the other side). The worst was on Moonglow, once, where the map displayed a pin over 1 degree (and almost two screen widths) off.

map offset.JPG

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I walked around the entire lake back in the days before the super-spawn. I NEVER got a teleport to work, trying to teleport after each step to the closest island at the time.

It might have been related to that one bug where targeting house placement was wonky after moving your play window (intentionally or accidentally) from its default position. All I know is that some things that other people can target places I can't.

I also have an issue on all 10 or so machines I've ever played on during the last 19 years using CC, where the pin on T-maps shows up considerably west of the actual map - sometimes over a screen width. So, it wasn't a particular install. While the coordinates on the map are correct (prior to randomization, or in the random era with the Locker), the map itself in all copies of my CC using Windows XP, 7, 10 or 11. can end up way off. This was one of the more glaring examples, where the pin was entirely on one side of the creek on Amoeba island, but the chest was on the other (and about the same latitude of the pin base on the other side). The worst was on Moonglow, once, where the map displayed a pin over 1 degree (and almost two screen widths) off.

View attachment 133818
Oh dang. This would drive me insane.

GeneralFlogger

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I am now at 113.0 and up to this point I have to say the fastest spot I've gotten consistent gains after GGS has been the deep sea north of Skara about a boat length from the server line. Probably averaging .1 every 10-15mins

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have personally found that the fastest way to gain to 120 fishing was to get a 4x120 peace bard with maxed justice and kill fel Corgul as many time as possible for those 12 minimum .6 or higher pink drops. Walked out of there with 24 of those once.
The RNG may not be nice to you and not give you fishing ones often, but when it does, it will be a nice, fast fishing gain for you.