• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fishing] Gaining beyond GM

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just got a 110 fishing PS, so I'm gonna go dig up my old fisherman and fish for the first time in a decade. In order to gain beyond GM can I just go park my boat in deep water and fish or what?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yup, well, until the spot runs dry, but you'll get better gains from lobster pots. (assuming you're upgraded to high seas)

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yup, well, until the spot runs dry, but you'll get better gains from lobster pots. (assuming you're upgraded to high seas)
I have the High Seas.... Ok, I've never done any lobster fishing, but it should be fun...;)
Now, all I have to do is figure out how to fish for them... hehehehe

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hehe first you need the pots, you can buy them at seamarket or in magincia.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not shure, if lobster fishing really gives better gains ... But you can bypass the timer for the fishing pole that way by setting out multiple traps. That way you will end with a better gains - time fished-ratio. But dont forget that you have to fish in deep water, if you want gains. That also applies to lobster traps.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I usually set out 6-8 traps, then start fishing with my pole until one of the traps bobs a second time. I lose a few traps that way, but end up more satisfied with the results (and seemed to gain a bit better, but that may have been from pulling fewer empty traps since most of the surviving traps having at least one, instead of half being empty)

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm... so you don't have to be moving around to gain? Just sitting in one spot is the same?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for traps, yes. You can do it in one spot. I usually use my row boat, facing East. There's a pattern you can lay standing in the prow that allows you to lay out and pick up 12 traps without moving.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
for traps, yes. You can do it in one spot. I usually use my row boat, facing East. There's a pattern you can lay standing in the prow that allows you to lay out and pick up 12 traps without moving.
GREAT advice, Petra! I've gone from 100 to 102.6 in a few hours.... Boring, but gaining steadily... Thx so much for the tip!
;)

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One more thing, pls... All the lobsters that I am catching - should I just trash them for Cleanup Points or is there a better use for them?
:confused:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
named ones go in quests, unnamed ones can either go to clean up or the library collection.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thx for the clarification, Bas... I'm raising my fishing to 110 currently and have another question. Is there any reason to NOT go straight to 120 - as in, are there quests that I would miss because my fishing skill is too high or anything as comparably silly?
:rolleyes:

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pardon me, but I really did laugh out loud, and am still chuckling about when you responded that lobster fishing sounds like fun. I have to say it is the most mind numbing, frustrating thing I have ever done in my UO life. I gladly pay 3000 gold per lobster or crab to fill orders now. I can go kill stuff for 60,000 gold a lot faster and for sure much more fun than fishing for a specific species of lobster or crab. Thank goodness for the kind patient souls and/or scripters who want to get rich off me.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
named ones go in quests, unnamed ones can either go to clean up or the library collection.
One more function... turn in for town loyalty credit "Fresh lobsters and crabs" into a crate next to the Minister of Trades (pick one town only!).

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regarding the GGS and Fishing skill... Do gains from GGS slow down significantly after 115?