• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Gaining At Around 30 - Smelting

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was wondering if I can gain much at this level by either smelting weapons or ore - I have like 4k of the small ore that you get when you kill Earth Els? Appreciate any feedback - many years, IDOCS, and lost soulstones/frags ago this char was GM Miner and 120 Smith.

I do have to do something as my house on Siege is filled up with looted weapons and won't hold anything else. Thanks again.

Jack Nickelson

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You will gain from smelting the ore, not sure how much.
Are you also planning to train imbuing? If yes, the weapons might be better kept to train the lower levels of that, unravelling.

T

Thiefy/Glorfiedel

melt the ore one by one, so you increase your gains.

every melting have a chance to increase your skill.

for the weapons, use the salvage bag.

one click and all metallitems, which can be melted, become melted, so if 100 items inside the bag, you melt 100 times.

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Appreciate the quick feedback from all as I'm getting ready to log on and wing it. This char down the road will have crafting skills including smithy, imbuing and whatever else - I'm so new again that I don't even understand the buzz words. I've never seen blackrock and don't know what a salvage bag is or how to get one but it sounds cool.

Not worried too much about losing the unraveling potential down the road from smelting the weapons. Last night I finally put together a semi decent luck suit for my tailor/fencer including the lucky necklace. Not sure what luck I'm running with but I did see a big difference in the quality of loot I was getting. I run with a Cold Forged Blade from years ago and can kill stuff.

Again, thanks for the input and I'm thinking that I'll have a lot of questions in this forum. Happy Holidays to all.

Jack Nickelson

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can I recommend reading on the uo.stratics site too? We've made a concerted effort to bring it up to date and our Blacksmith essay by Basara is particularly helpful.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Note also that the Salvage bag, if it's available on Siege, is worth the 3700 or so gold it would cost from the provisioner on SP (only about 1200 GP on other shards).

Not only does it work faster than the old UOAssist recycle bag setting, it gives back +1 ingot for each smith item smelted down, over and above what your mining skill gives.

(note: recycling items gives back 0.66% times your mining skill, rounded down (before the salvage bag bonus), as it's both smith & mining based. GM mining is 66.0%, and you need to have +3 or +5 gloves to get to the 101.1 skill needed to get 2/3 return)