• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Gaining Armslore...please help!

W

Wilde1

Last time I played a crafter, armslore didnt do anything. Coming back to the game I only had some carpentry to finish off in order to get passive armslore gains while raising a crafting skill.

Since then I've used UOAssist and either a bag of several armor/weap items or a macro that runs through the armor I'm wearing (good while shopping or at auctions btw heh). Ive done this over and over and over and over and... well you get the idea.

I've gained to 90.8 armslore and hit a wall. I dont have any more blacksmithing, tailoring or carpentry to work for passive gains. I run the UOAssist routines repeatedly (while at the keyboard of course), with maybe 0.1 gain aside from the GGS gain in an hours time.

Whats the best way to get from 90.8 to GM in Armslore?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

hey, i mustve been going through a really rough spot, tried UOassist again today and am gaining fairly decently. Boo me for weak task persistence, heh.

W

Wilde1

BODs...lots and lots of BODs
help me out with this. Is the idea that you do the lower "worthless" bods for armslore gains and then in the hopes that when you turn it in you can get a better replacement bod?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1. If your character has fletching, do the quests in heartwood to attempt to get talismans, recipes & fletching runics ("a simple bow" and "Ingenious archery I" have the best wood to quest ratios, and the bow quest is the most efficient in terms of weight of items crafted). I'm using this to train Arms Lore on my primary account. I gain about 0.2 to 1.0 Arms lore per 2000 boards (a full packy, and 430 boards carried in with my backpack, for 29 quests in one trip).

2. If not a fletcher, you have stated you are a tailor & smith.
The following tailor & smith quests give Arms Lore gains.
  • Haute Couture (tailor quest, flower garlands)
  • From the Gaultier Collection (tailor, studded Bustiers)
  • nothing fancy (smith, bascinets)
  • Cuts both ways (broadswords)
The two bold-faced quests are the most efficient in terms of raw materials.

3. As the other replier suggested, fill LOTS of BODs. This is how I'm doing my Lore, smith and tailor training on my BOD runners (spread over 2 additional accounts, so if I ever sell or give an account away, it will be ready to go). You can gain Arms Lore from making items to fill
  • Hat BODs
  • Helmet BODs
  • Armor BODs (smith or tailor, excluding shield BODs)
  • Weapon BODs
You can't gain Arms Lore from footwear, clothing (other than hats), or shields.

Last night, on a character with about the same level of arms lore as you, I gained 0.5 Arms Lore filling 18 weapons BODs (I gained about the same amount of blacksmithy at the time, as I was working a 90 smith toward 120).

4. Lastly, you can actively arms lore items, by using the skill and targeting an item, but if you're like most players, you would rather be doing stuff in-game, than stand in one place, staring at a single item for hours or days.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
help me out with this. Is the idea that you do the lower "worthless" bods for armslore gains and then in the hopes that when you turn it in you can get a better replacement bod?
Yes, it's called "BOD cycling", and while it works for both smith & tailor, it is especially valuable for a 120 Smith. Starting at 100.0 Skill, 60% of the BODs will be exceptional, 40% will be normal (was even chances of either below 100)

70.0-109.9: At this skill level, 50% will be Weapons, 25% will be Iron Armor, 25% will be Colored Armor.
110.0-119.9: At this skill level, 50% will be Weapons, 15% will be Iron Armor, 35% will be Colored Armor
120.0: At this skill level, 50% will be Weapons, 5% will be Iron Armor, 45% will be Colored Armor

As noted in another thread, the Tailor BODs appear to have a bug in the exceptional to normal ratio, and they do not get the colored armor boost that smith does (after all, 1 out of 25 tailor BODs is a small BOD for a barbed kit large, as opposed to about a 1 in 1000 ratio, even with the above changes, for a small for a verite or valorite hammer).

See the Smith and Tailor FAQs for more information. I just revised them heavily in the last 2 weeks.

gunneroforgin

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just be patient. It will come. Try doing everything that has been suggested. I beleive the best method, is making things that are around your skill level. As I was making my legendary tailor, I made studded leather dos as they had the highest skill level to make them. I must have made hundreds of them and I eventually made legendarytailor and gmed Arms lore.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Using a combination of gunner's suggestion, and mine, would be to make the studded bustiers for the heartwood quest - high difficulty item, with the potential payoff of one of the 3 rare tailor recipes.