• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Gaining 110-120????

H

Haris

Is it really suposed to be this hard. I heard of people gaining it in 3-4 days. How come i had to waste over 100k ingots so far and i just have gained 110 to 113.4. Plus i been gaining like 0.1% per day last 3 days after wasting like 15k ingots. I mean if its suposed to be this hard than its fine by me. But i am afraid i am doing something wrong. And no i am not crafting wrong items. I have played the game since t2a i know how it usually works. I remember i gained 50-110 in a week.

K

Kallie Pigeon

Why don't you start by telling us what you're making and if your smelting it and stuff like that. Then maybe we can give meaningful sugestions.

H

Haris

Right now i am mostly making legplates and platearms. Allso sometimes i make plate gaunlets. And sometimes i smelt it all and sometimes i sell it. I have tried all kinds of stuff to speed it up. Like using other skills in betwen, smelting not smelting, making harder to make or eazier to make items. Nothing helps, still gain 0.1 tops 0.2 points per day, and thats slow. And today i wasted 15000 ingots and gained nothing.

T

Triryn

i went from 105-120 in 3 days. My wife was in the hospital and I had nothing better to do while she was asleep. I made alot of Royal Circlets, Plate Gorgets, Plate Arms.

You should have GM Mining by this time and add in those +5 gloves + use a salvage bag.

Most of the items I made I used about 3 ingots per try. Sometimes it would take 400 makes to get a point then others I would get 3 points in 25 makes. Its just a grind.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You could have gotten all the way to 120 with those 15k ingots. The problem is too many people get too hung up on how things were pre-AOS to notice that Samurai Empire & Mondain's Legacy added things that work a LOT better for training, than Plate mail, that use a LOT less ingots at the same level of difficulty. Those new items are why I chose to not sticky all the old skill gain logs, because everyone continued to obsess on making the old things that are wasteful now by comparison, and using methods (like selling to NPCs) that 6-8 years of vendor price changes have made insane to use.

Here's how it is in the modern game (modern being 2006 and later, though the Salvage bag's only been around for a year now)

1. Unless you are filling BODs as you train, ALWAYS smelt. Not worth selling the stuff anymore, the way ingot prices are.
  2. Have 100 Mining on your character, and wear +3 or +5 mining gloves to get over 101.1. That will get you into the maximum ingot return range for smelting (which is based on your mining skill, for ingots returned)
  3. ALWAYS use a Salvage Bag (item for sale on provisioners) to smelt - it will pay for itself in minutes, as it returns 1 more ingot than normal, per item, from all smelts.
  4. Training Blacksmith over 110 skill, unless (as I stated before) you are combining training with BOD filling, do NOT make plate armor pieces. The item to make to train is the ROYAL CIRCLET.
Royal Circlets use 6 ingots to make. If you have 101.1 or higher mining (GM and +3 or +5 gloves), and use the salvage bag to recycle them, you will get FIVE OF THE SIX INGOTS BACK. See the sticky posts Skill Gain Logs & Modern Skill Gain Guides (by profession) in this forum. I went from 116 to 120 Blacksmith in about 4 hours, using up less than 3700 ingots, doing this.

H

Haris

You could have gotten all the way to 120 with those 15k ingots. The problem is too many people get too hung up on how things were pre-AOS to notice that Samurai Empire & Mondain's Legacy added things that work a LOT better for training, than Plate mail, that use a LOT less ingots at the same level of difficulty. Those new items are why I chose to not sticky all the old skill gain logs, because everyone continued to obsess on making the old things that are wasteful now by comparison, and using methods (like selling to NPCs) that 6-8 years of vendor price changes have made insane to use.

Here's how it is in the modern game (modern being 2006 and later, though the Salvage bag's only been around for a year now)

1. Unless you are filling BODs as you train, ALWAYS smelt. Not worth selling the stuff anymore, the way ingot prices are.
  2. Have 100 Mining on your character, and wear +3 or +5 mining gloves to get over 101.1. That will get you into the maximum ingot return range for smelting (which is based on your mining skill, for ingots returned)
  3. ALWAYS use a Salvage Bag (item for sale on provisioners) to smelt - it will pay for itself in minutes, as it returns 1 more ingot than normal, per item, from all smelts.
  4. Training Blacksmith over 110 skill, unless (as I stated before) you are combining training with BOD filling, do NOT make plate armor pieces. The item to make to train is the ROYAL CIRCLET.
Royal Circlets use 6 ingots to make. If you have 101.1 or higher mining (GM and +3 or +5 gloves), and use the salvage bag to recycle them, you will get FIVE OF THE SIX INGOTS BACK. See the sticky posts Skill Gain Logs & Modern Skill Gain Guides (by profession) in this forum. I went from 116 to 120 Blacksmith in about 4 hours, using up less than 3700 ingots, doing this.
That works, Thanks, it broke the gainwall. Only anoying thing is having to put all the circlets in to the salvage bags selling was faster. Otherwise gains fast.

M

miss uo

That works, Thanks, it broke the gainwall. Only anoying thing is having to put all the circlets in to the salvage bags selling was faster. Otherwise gains fast.
True, but if you put your ingots in the salvage bag first, then all your circlets made will be in the salvage bag.

H

Haris

True, but if you put your ingots in the salvage bag first, then all your circlets made will be in the salvage bag.
Omg how come no crafting guide says that. That saves me hours and hours of draging items in to that bag.

M

miss uo

Omg how come no crafting guide says that. That saves me hours and hours of draging items in to that bag.
Dont know why, but just place ingots in the bag that you want items smelted in. It has always worked that way and still does with salvage bags.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Oops - I think that over the years, everyone has just assumed people knew that.

H

Haris

Oops - I think that over the years, everyone has just assumed people knew that.
Well i didnt know it and i played uo for 10 years well with some long brakes in betwen. And i am sure at least 50% of people that just start playing wont know it.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've added it to the skill gain guide sticky, to start with.

H

Haris

Well i can tell you that all players that use "sell back to npc system" probably dont know you can get items crafted straight in to the salvagebag or any bag for that mather.

If i knew you could craft straight in to the bag and there was no salvage bags, i would have use tost the bag full of items on the ground system before i would use sell back to npc system.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, most people that sold the items to NPCs, that had UO Assist, probably knew you could craft stuff in the bag, as that was part of all the old "how to use UO Assist to train skills quicker (and for profit)" type guides, that became obsolete a couple years after AoS (when they changed how the price of buying ingots from NPCs worked). People would craft stuff in their sell bag to sell, or their recycle bag to recycle.

The Salvage Bag came about from one of the devs deciding to put a counterpart to the UO Assist Recycle Bag option into the game (for KR), only the Salvage bag ended up working much better than its inspiration (UO Assist recycle bag salvages only 1 item per 0.5 to 1 second, while the salvage bag does all at once, when activated - saving as much as 2 minutes per use)

K

Kallie Pigeon

When I made my smith, there was no smelting or colored ore. To learn smithing you would make things and sell them to npc which would make a small profit over the cost of the ingots (making certain items). Or you could get some gain by staying close to another smith who was smithing.