• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Fencing] Gain, gain with UBWS?

V

von Beck

Ok I'm sitting in my office thinking about training fencing when i get home. Its at 114.5 and I've been gaining quite nicely using kama/whirlwind at fel spawns. (It gains much quicker this way than when i tried a GM golem, although I haven't tried training up the Golem's wrestle above the 85 it started with)

Anyway my question is - if I use a UBWS radiant scimitar instead of the kama will I still gain fencing? Kama have really low damage (even crafted 40DI exceptional with armslore) and I think the radiant might be a better choice if it works the way I hope it does.

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Stick with the kama. It has a fast swing time and the low damage means mobs will last longer for more swings for more gains.

V

von Beck

No, u can only gain in swords with scimitar.
Wrong. Last night I gained from 114.9 to 117.9 using a UBWS radiant scimitar. Best gains were Cold blood spawn level 2 (Ophidian Warriors and Lava Lizards) and Vermin spawn level 2 (Ratmen and Dire Wolves).

Stick with the kama. It has a fast swing time and the low damage means mobs will last longer for more swings for more gains.
Yes, good point I hadn't thought of that. I did advance a couple of spawns and have to go find others last night. I'll try kama again tonight and see if I can get it to stay on level 2 for longer.

C

Chaosy

In my experience you gain weapon skills using a UBWS weapon UNLESS the skill the weapon you're using is set to go up or is already higher than what you're trying to train.

e.g. I wanna gain fencing using a ubws radiant. It won't gain if I have 90 swords and 80 fencing, and it won't gain if I have 80 fencing and 0 swords with swords skill set to go up.

You also don't gain tactics with ubws weapons, only the weapon skill.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When using a weapon with UBWS, you will gain in whatever weapon skill is your highest. In your case, it is Fencing.

The Radiant Scmitar is an excellent weapon for training your weapon skill. If you are in the middle of a group of mobs and you use the whirlwind attack, you will get a skill check for each creature you hit (as long as their wrestle skill is high enough for you to gain off them).

I've also had no problem gaining in tactics or anatomy with a UBWS weapon.