• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

G. Dragons Taming Strategy???

H

haladrigis

can anyone tell me a good strategy for taming these massive beasts? i pretty much just walk up and hit my taming hotkey invis and lead the target around the dungeon. but i die 5-7 times i just cant think of a better way or am just too scared to try i dont know yet.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best advice I can give is the one least likely to be taken by anyone.

Go to TC1 and create a Tamer. Go tame the Greater Dragons and die until you no longer fear them.

Because if your going to be afraid of them, they are going to munch you for sure.

Try lead taming those guys and only seeing "you are to far away" is the clear symptom you need to go to TC1 and die a bunch more times.

Now for a way to tame Greater Dragons.

First off, if you have not done so, then make a Hot key to initiate the tame.

Mine is simple

Useskill Taming
WaitforTarget
LastTarget

I have a Logitech G15 keyboard(x2) and have bound a G key to repeat that key every second.

Others use uoa.

Now get a Cu, buy one if required but get one.

Now go to Ice Dungeon were the White Wyrm lives.

Honor the White Wyrm and Kill it with the Cu. (Advice go to TC1 and get all the components on how to do this down pat, as it is likely you will die a lot until you do)

Spend about 2 to 3 hours honoring the WW's

Your honor will now be high enough to tame the GD's.

Pick a "GOOD" GD, get close to it and Invis yourself. MAKE SURE NOTHING IS AFTER YOU.

Now when your sure NOTHING IS AFTER YOU, honor yourself and spam the crap out of that Tame key. You will get the "You anger the beast" message but you will also notice neither the GD or anything else is interested in you.

This condition is about 1 minute +- 15 seconds.

When you have it tamed, then feed it a raw meat and gate out.

Now use that Greater Dragon and beat the crap out of the Honored White Wyrms and keep it Honor high.

What constitutes a Great Greater Dragon? Just my 2gp's here

all values are pretame

HP 1770 min
Int dont really care
STR 1280 min
(dex will always train to 125 so is not relevant)

PhysResist 80+
FireResist 80+
EnergyResist 75+

Cold and Poison is not generally a factor to me.

Wrestling 130+
Tactics 120+
Resist Spells dont care

Magery 115+

Seeing as to how your in the building process, I will say the chances of you finding a GD like that are slim to none. So if I were in your boots, I would focus on things in this sequence, PhysResist,FireResist,EnergyResist,HP and STR, Wrestling, tactics.

Your going to need to boot yourself up and that is going to take time, but hey I hope you get lucky :)

H

haladrigis

ok im going to have to read up on this honor virtue, right now i have already started sacrifice for the self rez is there a way i can work two virtues? or do i need to stick to just one?

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ok im going to have to read up on this honor virtue, right now i have already started sacrifice for the self rez is there a way i can work two virtues? or do i need to stick to just one?
*Shrug*

You can work both but I am unaware of how you could get sacrifice and get honor from the same action.

I pretty much use Honor anymore, in a Must Tame scenario (meaning Greater Dragons that will be a trade up for me and Valuable Cu's). I can also see how using Honor to tame is a great assist in building up ones stable by taming things oneself.

Just curious, do you know how to make hotkeys/macroes?

By the way, I always precede my tame with an Animal Lore to make sure I am taming the right thing and it sets the lasttarget value.

S

Sarphus

Honor or taming them is the easiest.

2nd easiest is using the spellweaving spell Etherial Voyage.

I generally just lead tame them with peacemaking and the mage invis spell, though. Basically, if I get in over my head, I hit AE peace and heal up. If I get a successful taming start, I invis myself to break aggro and keep precasting it to break aggro again as soon as the dragon attacks me.

The reason I don't use the 2 easier methods is that I don't generally have my honor virtue worked up and I don't feel like getting a spellweaving focus. I find that peacemaking is the easiest thing to set up that reliably works. It's not nearly as easy, though.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
He he, admittedly it has been several months since I peace tamed a Greater but ...

I have music 120, peacemaking 120 and a Flute of Renewal with the right slayer alignment (+20 to success). I was getting a peace maybe once every 15 tries and had strings of 40+ failures. Even when I did get a peace it would last maybe 2 "You anger the Beast" messages at most.

But on one Greater, that I still have and is easily the 2nd rank Greater I have,

I recalled into Destard (the room outside the water elementals). Ran out to the entry, saw a Greater sitting there and pop'd an invis.

I lored it (what follows is lose memory)

HP 1844
Str 1280
Int 580

PhR 85
FR 84
CR 48
PR 55
ER 70

(trained values)
Wrestling 127.1
Tactics 119.8

Magery 110.1

I did a peace, it took, I went and hit the Tame HotKey, it started a tame cycle.

I invis'd.

The Greater decided I was worthy and I was out of there.

He never moved, never made a sound :)

That Greater was the Alpha Greater for a long time until I found Jynger. :)

5% Luck

I hut lore target then i use a macro for tame last target and hit this once. If angered area peace. if an attempt is made i invisi and keep him in a state of non agression during the whole process.

So
#1 lore target

#2 Tame last target

#3a if anger beast use skill peacemaking wait for target target self

repeat #2

#3b If taming attemt is made invisi.

repeat steps 2 and 3 untill tamed

I never die doing this but it takes a good chunk of time waiting for skill timers.

Alternatively you can hold down the tame last macro untill you get an attempt then invisi. This is much faster but you will need a healer and orange petals. And most likly some insurance gold handy!

H

haladrigis

wow nice replies there ok first i do know how to make macros/hotkeys just dont know the best ones to make :) i like lucks strategy ill try that out while i workon my honor

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've got a pretty basic method - I beat the snot out of the draggy then sneak up and tame it :D I don't have peace or use honour, just a straightforward lead taming :)

I like to work with the dragons at the temple on fire isle as I can pull one out the temple somewhere quiet and mark a rune nearby to come back to.

I prefer to get my disco tamer to disco the draggy of choice and then she sets her 2 kitsune on it until just a sliver of health remains. To prevent the pets from killing the drag accidentally, I have a recall precast as we get to the end of the process and when it's time I yell all stop/all follow me and target the runebook. This is much simpler than it sounds when you've done it a few times ;)

Then I stable the kitsune and return.

You'll need a couple of macros set - target self, cast invisibility then target self and use skill animal taming - last target. Make sure the latter is easy to hold down for extended periods ;) Bring the highest resist suit you can, especially fire resist and some orange petals so you only have to worry about healing yourself and not curing poison spells too :) A few cure potions works too.

Set the dragon as your last target again if necessary (I double click a dagger and target the best when it's just on screen)

Precast invisibility and run up to the dragon, then target yourself. Use an orange petal if you've brought one :) You want to be a tile away from the beast and then take a deep breath, and hold down your tame last target key while concentrating on keeping yourself close to continue attempting to tame, but not letting the dragon on the same tile to bite you. Keep one eye on your health and if you need to heal, put some distance between you and the drag so it won't eat you while you're casting.

Finally, you'll get the message that you've started a tame :D The minute you do, you can move a few tiles away and hit that invis yourself macro you set earlier. Keep yourself invis'd for as much of the tame process as you can and there's much less chance you'll have to break off to heal (or res ;)) yourself.

I'd expect it to take a while with your skill level, so go in with a good level of supplies, but you can always eat a 115 powerscroll and put on a taming jewel to make life a bit easier.

Remember that you can tame a less than uber dragon and use it to work the spawn for a better one. That's what I did. Then you've got something to play with if you can't find a brilliant dragon straight off :)

Wenchy

Anakena

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can anyone tell me a good strategy for taming these massive beasts? i pretty much just walk up and hit my taming hotkey invis and lead the target around the dungeon. but i die 5-7 times i just cant think of a better way or am just too scared to try i dont know yet.
1. Have a good suit (Max Phys and fire resist)
2. Have a macro for taming/wait target/last target
3. Redline the dragon first (firebreath damage is a part of his hitpoints; the lower the HP, the slower he his)
4. I drop an efield between me and the dragon and I turn around while taming (so I don't have to deal with his wrestling).

J

Juicy Fruit

Any tamer that hunts with there pet and does not have atleast some honor is wrong, :p lol. If you are killing it, you should honor it first, to gain honor. Deff read up on honor so you know more about it. As far as working honor and sacrafice at same time, Heck ya, As your killing things for fame, honor them, then go sacrafice your fame, rinse and repeat. Honor taming is the best way to go.

Everytime I meet a tamer that does not have honor it surprises me, its fairly easy for a tamer ..... invoke virtue honor ...target ......all kill ... target

GL

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Have a good suit (Max Phys and fire resist)
2. Have a macro for taming/wait target/last target
3. Redline the dragon first (firebreath damage is a part of his hitpoints; the lower the HP, the slower he his)
4. I drop an efield between me and the dragon and I turn around while taming (so I don't have to deal with his wrestling).
To augment point 2.

The suit I have on both tamers probably averages 45% resists, the primary tamer may be 50%

BUT

Both Tamers have 45% DCI and they both use a Sword of Prosperity.

The Sword adds the ability to block an attack. As it was explained to me, it is fundamentally a wrestling vs wrestling check. Such that a -0 Mage weapon + a 120 Magic skill level can put you at a level greater than or near to most mobs you would want to tame.

The Defensive Chance Increase, gives Damage Avoidance after(?) or before(?) the Block check of the Sword of Prosperity.

Each carry 5 orange petals :)

5% Luck

To augment point 2.

The suit I have on both tamers probably averages 45% resists, the primary tamer may be 50%

BUT

Both Tamers have 45% DCI and they both use a Sword of Prosperity.

The Sword adds the ability to block an attack. As it was explained to me, it is fundamentally a wrestling vs wrestling check. Such that a -0 Mage weapon + a 120 Magic skill level can put you at a level greater than or near to most mobs you would want to tame.

The Defensive Change Increase, gives Damage Avoidance after(?) or before(?) the Block check of the Sword of Prosperity.

Each carry 5 orange petals :)
The main problem with this is 120 vs 120 skil is 50% but your looking at 140 vs 120 skill so more like 35 % to weaponskill block/get missed. I run a pally tamer (he dont tame greaters) hes 120 fencer and I use him to farm for good greaters then pull in the bard(2nd tamer) to tame them.

Anyhow when theses bad boys get low on health they run. They hit me quite near 100%(low to nil DCI) while on the run and I have to use strategy to get them dead. My last hit has to be 85+ as between my greater and my damage thats the needed hit number between the wilds greater heals.

So having max HP 150+ and max resists (DCI would be nice) is imo a must. I even hear of players using non LRC suits and carrying regs just to have a "proper" suit. I run my pally in vamp form(soon to be nerfed and maybe ill fit 99) instead of oranhge petals but That is a awesome addtion to the strategy!

H

haladrigis

wow now you guys are speaking a compltely different language :)

I

I FLEX YA HEARD

taming greater dragons is ridiculously easy....hide, honor and spam tame key. if you fail, wait and repeat...doesn't take long at 120/120 either..

fortunately i have a thief/tamer so its a quick 1,2 and 3. scope the dungeons and just tame, simple as that heehe

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
taming greater dragons is ridiculously easy....hide, honor and spam tame key. if you fail, wait and repeat...doesn't take long at 120/120 either..

fortunately i have a thief/tamer so its a quick 1,2 and 3. scope the dungeons and just tame, simple as that heehe
That is what my Stealth Tamer does, twice daily he checks all the Trammel and Felucca spots out.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any tamer that hunts with there pet and does not have atleast some honor is wrong, :p lol. If you are killing it, you should honor it first, to gain honor. Deff read up on honor so you know more about it. As far as working honor and sacrafice at same time, Heck ya, As your killing things for fame, honor them, then go sacrafice your fame, rinse and repeat. Honor taming is the best way to go.

Everytime I meet a tamer that does not have honor it surprises me, its fairly easy for a tamer ..... invoke virtue honor ...target ......all kill ... target

GL
There's nothing wrong with not using honour to tame, any more than it's wrong to not have peace :) We all have our different methods for our own reasons, that's all. I find lead taming easy, so the only use I have for honour is non taming situations. I stashed up some points ages ago. If I remember I invoke it before a kill, so it's there, but the chances I'll ever use it are slim.

I also think it's useful to have practised old school lead taming for those times when you haven't got your peacer or honour points and something spawns that you want. Even if you don't lead tame regularly, it's a basic skill all tamers should have IMO. If only to help educate younger tamers when they run up to us in a dungeon.

Wenchy

S

Sarphus

He he, admittedly it has been several months since I peace tamed a Greater but ...

I have music 120, peacemaking 120 and a Flute of Renewal with the right slayer alignment (+20 to success). I was getting a peace maybe once every 15 tries and had strings of 40+ failures. Even when I did get a peace it would last maybe 2 "You anger the Beast" messages at most.

Right, target peace doesn't benefit you much when taming greater dragons. AE peace does. AE peace immediately ends combat, which can be exactly what you need to prevent taking enough damage in a single volley to kill you. I use it to end a dragon's breath attack when he's preparing to toast me :)

S

Sarphus

GL
I disagree :) I don't have honor on my tamer (anymore) for 2 reasons.

1. I don't need it to play my tamer effectively (I had just under knight and it atrophed)
2. I don't kill enough volume of honor kills to keep honor up as fast as it atrophes.

I could farm honor back up after using it, but instead I learned how to do everything without using honor. Honor just makes some things easier to do. When I had honor, I found myself using it as a krutch to the point that I was farming monsters just to get my honor back up.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Easy way to gain honor and sacrifice is to take a Cu to the fan dancer dojo, get the ronin out of the large room so all you have to deal with is the succubus. Stay just far away so that you can honor her, have pet attack, and invis yourself. Rinse and repeat. When you have your Lord title, you can sacrifice it on the succubus. I probably wouldn't try honor taming a greater dragon until I'm follower of honor. I also have uoassist and taming is mapped to one of the thumb buttons on the mouse, so all I do is run around loring things until I find one that is good enough to tame, invis, honor self, run up to dragon, and start spamming tame on it until I get the taming message. Even at 115 taming you should be able to get it tamed before your honor wears off. If not then, you will be using a self rez from the sacrifice pretty soon.

T

Tony Blair

What works quite well for me is attacking the greater dragon of desire until it's hitpoints are very low. Then recall, stable your pet and return. Lead tame it by making use skill taming - last target and spam your tamingcommand until it works. always keep 2 tiles space between the dragon and yourself. Repeat until tamed. Combined with a max resistance armour I solo tame them and die every 3rd or 4th dragon.
Best wishes.