• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fuse cords again :)

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love high seas, ships and cannons. What I don't love is when it comes time to restock the fuse cord supply. I typically make 4000-5000 at a time rather than spreading the pain out over smaller bunches of them. It takes way to much time! I don't mind mining the salt peter and really don't mind making the actual black powder. But as I am doing now.......... Making potash and have been for the last 3 hours and probably have another 3 hours to go..... The Devs could throw us a bone and make Potash the same as charcoal where one click turns the whole pile of boards in the pack into a pile of potash! That would eliminate 1/3 of this time sink that serves no purpose other than to waste time. On the bright side I only have to do this once per month give or take. I really hope this is something they look at if and when the alleged high seas 2.0 goes into play.

Saltpeter is fine the way it is, you can pay the stupid high price for it or mine it actually fairly fast. It would be nice if they would stock it on the NPC on Siege the same as prodo though.

But seriously I would much rather spend my time wasted making potash on the water actually firing my cannons than standing next to a trough and oven for hours getting ready to fire my cannons!

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love high seas, ships and cannons. What I don't love is when it comes time to restock the fuse cord supply. I typically make 4000-5000 at a time rather than spreading the pain out over smaller bunches of them. It takes way to much time! I don't mind mining the salt peter and really don't mind making the actual black powder. But as I am doing now.......... Making potash and have been for the last 3 hours and probably have another 3 hours to go..... The Devs could throw us a bone and make Potash the same as charcoal where one click turns the whole pile of boards in the pack into a pile of potash! That would eliminate 1/3 of this time sink that serves no purpose other than to waste time. On the bright side I only have to do this once per month give or take. I really hope this is something they look at if and when the alleged high seas 2.0 goes into play.

Saltpeter is fine the way it is, you can pay the stupid high price for it or mine it actually fairly fast. It would be nice if they would stock it on the NPC on Siege the same as prodo though.

But seriously I would much rather spend my time wasted making potash on the water actually firing my cannons than standing next to a trough and oven for hours getting ready to fire my cannons!
I am behind you in this and support everything you said, except the part i underlined and colored with my crayolers. if they did that without a way to sell the price back down we would need to mortgage the castles eventually, just to shoot once.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am behind you in this and support everything you said, except the part i underlined and colored with my crayolers. if they did that without a way to sell the price back down we would need to mortgage the castles eventually, just to shoot once.
YEah had not thought about that, but even on prodo where you can sell it back down it remains sky high on most shards. Which is fine I have made hundreds of millions selling to the alchemist :)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your doing this on Siege I'm game to make the potash for you, crafting involving little mousing and clicking is just my style. Say the cost of the wood involved? 5 gp each?

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your doing this on Siege I'm game to make the potash for you, crafting involving little mousing and clicking is just my style. Say the cost of the wood involved? 5 gp each?
I will take you up on that when I need them on Siege again, right now I have around 10k cords on Siege. Been playing on Legends and LS a lot the last few months and burning through the cords a lot faster than I normally do on prodo. Of course if you want to make them I will trade 3-1 boards for potash I am real short on Siege gold atm the exchange rate was to tempting :) Or I can trade you a soul stone or 10 charge Forged metal thing and I usually have a couple thousand sovs for the store if you would want something else from there in exchange. But no rush to get them done and I would be happy to pay you in advance.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One of the things promised at the anniversary party was a streamlining of ammunition making in the High Seas revamp.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the things promised at the anniversary party was a streamlining of ammunition making in the High Seas revamp.
That would be real nice *IF* it happens. One of the biggest road blocks for people using ships is the fuse cords. I don't see any problem with how Saltpeter works now which seems to be a lot folks hang ups being how expensive it is to buy from the alchemist. A GM miner with a 1800+ luck suit can mine 10k in a couple of hours and the higher the luck the faster that gets. And as a bonus you can pull lots of ore elementals, gems, and ore in the process. It is the next 10 hours turning that 10K first into black powder and then making the potash and then making the actual fuse cord. It soon becomes a serious time sink and is BORING BORING BORING. The bright side if someone makes 300-400 cords they will last a while for most most folks. I don't even consider heavy charges a issue anymore since anyone that is going to take high seas even a little serious is going to have atleast 1-2 ship paintings. Best solution if possible is at GM alchemy you can make the whole stack of resources into Potash and fuse cords if you have a 100% chance with a tali or HYg Amulet/tali combo. The failure rate without a talisman is just nuts but I have trained 6 characters up from 90 to GM just making fuse cords so it is not all bad, but once you have the tali and tali/amulet combo the one at a time fuse cords is just........again BORING and pointless.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Having to make fuse cords make me want to kill someone.
It is SO DARN BORING!

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That would be real nice *IF* it happens. One of the biggest road blocks for people using ships is the fuse cords.
This is the exact reason I havn't purchased high seas. I know I won't have the time to do it so why buy it.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is the exact reason I havn't purchased high seas. I know I won't have the time to do it so why buy it.
Sometimes it seems like they actively do things to make people not want to buy their products :(

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm selling fuse cords at 1100 gold each due to all the time involved. They sell well enough likely because of all the time involved. Silly price to have to pay per cannon shot because you want to spend the few hours of playtime you have after work, school, and family time using your ship cannons.

@Mesanna @Kyronix @Bleak

For 1000 fuse cords:
Find and sheer 167 sheep
**** through the slow process of making wool into yarn, taking hours
Lumberjack 2000 trees
Make 1000 Charcoal at 300 to 400 at a time
Make 1000 Potash at one at a time, taking hours
Mine saltpeter or buy from Sea Market with once an hour restocks and
a few every half hour. You get like 15k after buying from 7 am to midnight.
Enough for about 2000 black powder after the 20% failure rate I have.
Buy 1000 Sulpherous Ash building several vendors stock up for several hours
Make 1000 Black Powder one at a time losing 20 -30% to the fail rate.
Make 1000 fuse cords one at a time.

Give us a way to buy paintings that produce fuse cords, you'll make a fortune selling them and all the copies of High Seas in the store now that it would be fun instead of a royal pain in the sitter.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You know you can use more than one spinning wheel at a time generally I've found that you can keep 3 running continuously, makes it 3x faster... Just saying.

Anyway I hear you there on the painful and tedious... but that's what most of UO is anymore... the devs don't want us to actually do anything fun for more than 15 min.... they want us to spend 3 or 4 days getting ready to go do something for 15 min of "fun".... and get nothing as a reward and go out and do it all over again and again and again... *shakes head*...

I used to be a sheep and do that... not anymore. Liberating quitting doing all those tedious and boring things.

Trouble is you eventually get to where you quit doing a lot of things and start to ponder why you are still paying for all the accounts you don't use anymore. Or wonder why you keep a bunch of stuff that you don't use... etc...

The Pet Revamp was fun till the scrolls ran out.

TheDrAJ

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If it did not cost anything to make cannons fire, some idiots would go around sinking all the ships just to grief people.
oh yea - they do that already!

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Making fuse cords on Siege is a lot more tedious than prodo :)

If it did not cost anything to make cannons fire, some idiots would go around sinking all the ships just to grief people.
oh yea - they do that already!
I noticed when i dropped the package in your mail box this morning you repaired your boat :) I DID NOT SCUTTLE IT BTW :) Seems like a waste of fuse cords to scuttle fishing ships with nothing in the holds and ships with cannons parked off shore where you can't even steal the cannons. But hey if that is what gives some folks their jollies............. too bad when doing the fishing quest you have to leave the fishing boat in the water or cancel the quest and lose favor, so we repair our tokuno ships every morning and continue on, or park it in the middle of the ocean and hope the kids don't find it :)

Nah, the yew sheep pens are quick spawning and i have macros to make yarn in the ec. one click and it does the clicking for me for a long time
I just collect wool and cotton from the Pirate and Merch ships......... I do so wish balls of yarn auto stacked though :(
a few every half hour. You get like 15k after buying from 7 am to midnight.
Can mine it a whole lot faster than you can buy it up with a 1500+ luck suit.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tyrath - thanks for returning the ankh
Sorry I kept forgetting I headed that way a dozen times and on the way........... Oh look a shiny, and another and Oh look at the goodies at Bay Dolls house and Oh there is Bo and ahhhh another shiny. Even stood there in front of your house a few weeks ago chatting with someone and 2 days later log onto that toon and there is the ankh I walked all the way there to put in your mail box still in my pack :) But hey better late than never :)

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

That will be the next big gift we get, right after the updated Account Management page :rolleyes: