• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fun secondary templates?

Wetherlocke

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few months ago I finally got to 3x legendary on my first tamer. Out of around 11 years of playing, that was a seven-year project in the works. I have a couple slots left around and think I want to continue with taming training. It was always interesting, traveling the land and coming upon new houses and such. What do you guys do for your non-primary tamers? I don't want to do the same build (which alternates between necro tamer and mage tamer... haven't made up my mind on him yet). I was thinking a pack tamer taking hellhounds out to play, a peace tamer with an ice theme... not necessarily "uber" templates, just fun ones. So, what do the other taming addicts do these days? :)

R

RichDC

A few months ago I finally got to 3x legendary on my first tamer. Out of around 11 years of playing, that was a seven-year project in the works. I have a couple slots left around and think I want to continue with taming training. It was always interesting, traveling the land and coming upon new houses and such. What do you guys do for your non-primary tamers? I don't want to do the same build (which alternates between necro tamer and mage tamer... haven't made up my mind on him yet). I was thinking a pack tamer taking hellhounds out to play, a peace tamer with an ice theme... not necessarily "uber" templates, just fun ones. So, what do the other taming addicts do these days? :)
Ive always enjoyed...Pointless tamer :p

On GL there is a weekly event called chicken fight club,

I massively enjoy taming wierd obscure pointless pets (dogs, rabbits gaamans etc) and training them, then take them to the Chicken fight club and let them fight to the death!!!

(they did a battle royale with non-magic pets once, my snake came in 2nd in a battle with 2repts 2 hiryus and a goat!!!good fun times!!!)

Wetherlocke

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please tell me the goat came in 1st place. :)

Exactly though... I want to do something fun with tamers. I don't believe my shard does anything like hosting chicken fights (although, maybe I'd host one if I knew a few people would show up), but different styles seem fun to play around with. It seems to be one of the few professions where variety matters to the player. Warriors need the latest "hot" template, as do mages. Crafters need to make sure they can make *everything*. Bards... hmmm... not really sure about that. Still have never played one. I'm guilty of all of the above, by the way. I'm not looking down on any of that. But when I have an account open with a few free spots, tamer comes to mind. Oh, I guess it helps that I've got a couple advance tokens available to start them off. :D

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is something I want to do again (my account with this character went inactive):
95 taming/lore or 90 taming/100 lore (extra stable slot)
90 vet
100 necromancy
120 swords
100 tactics
75 chivalry
45 meditation

My other template wasn't quite that (it was pre-vamp form changes), but this is the template I'd use now.

With this template, I would be the tank while my pack of hell hounds would dish out most of the damage. Between chivalry and leeching, I could take most opponents who didn't have an area effect attack. For those you would have to switch pets to a pair of bake kitsune, hence the need for an extra stable slot. The 95/95 template has 5 slots, while the 100/90 template has 6 slots, which is enough for a pack + a swap slot.

The best advantage of this template is that it doesn't take much training to get there at all.

My current "pet" project is:
85 taming/85 lore/110 magery/110 EI/110 necromancy/110 spirit speak/110 meditation

I'm about to swap out 80 or more points of meditation for vet so I can ressurect my kits, and I still use a dark wolf for better control. This combination kills things with brutal efficiency. Anything. Seriously, anything. I've run head first into the top level of a Rikktor spawn and both me and my pets survived. This is a really fun template for peerless as well. The problem is, it's all offense. Sure, I can heal things, but the way I've been playing it, the only way to survive is to kill them before they kill me. If so much as one of the kits dies, then the other two (the kit and myself) always follows into gray-land.

If someone else is watching over me or I'm following someone with a dragon, then I firmly believe that this template is unstoppable in PvM.

My favorite moment was in a demon spawn (Semidar) I ran into a guild mate who was in over his head. In about 5 seconds, I killed everything around (burning gargoyle level), healed him and "listened" to the amazement at the accomplishment. It seems that we weren't meant to be able to kill whole hoards that quickly.

And while a necro-mage is nice in those situations, think about accompanying your necromage with a pair of high resist, high damage, undispellabe killing machines.

Or if you want something a little more fun, try this:
100 hiding
80 stealth
100 herding
110 magery
and your taming skills and meditation to choice. It's really fun to play herding tricks, herd whole groups around, arrange spawn to your liking, etc. And to do it unseen is even more fun. You can separate the dragon or the rune beetle easily from the herd in complete safety.

R

RichDC

I have to ask...how do you possibly expect to tank???

No defence at all!!?!

Does sound like a fun temp tho must admit.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, the good thing is that most high level creatures, like peerless or champions or Balrons, don't travel in groups, which means that my bake kitsune can do the tanking while I heal. They really are nice kits which took a month to find. For anything dragon-or-lower my choices are as follows:
1. Send in the kits first then follow with scrappers and wither.
2. Tell the kits to guard me, charge in myself with wither and staff of pyros.
3. Mix up the above options and get dead.

The true disadvantage is that if a player wanted to kill me when I run this template, it would be absurdly simple. One mana vampire and I'm dead-dead-dead. But if the other person wasn't that smart, then it isn't bad in Fel either.

R

RichDC

It does sound interesting and i must admit those bakes are awesome i have one

58/87/56/58/59

350hp
425mana

Can take a pre-tamed GD solo...With alot of vet of course lol

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of my favourite tamers is my chef/fisher one ;)

She just uses kitsune and because she only has to kill sea serpents, she doesn't have a high vet skill.

Her skills don't go above GM because she likes her chef title:
Cooking, fishing, tailoring, magery, inscription, tame, lore and enough vet to chuck the odd bandage on after a fight.

I have a lot of fun with Molly as a RP char, she also has 2 semi-trained sheep for no good reason and her giant beetle can kill serpents and deep sea serps by himself too. I always regret losing my first beetle, because I didn't lore him but he was really strong against those guys in the days when she just had magery and 0 taming :D

My other fun chars include my voke/disco bard tamer and my new necro/weaver tamer. But I tend to mess about with my templates a lot, so I could have a new one tomorrow.

I still have an untrained peace/archer/chiv tamer that I wasn't happy with. Bit of a character leftover lol. I'm tempted to give her lesser pets that don't need much taming skill and see if that makes her better, but I might do something different.

Wenchy

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here are the real skills I have on a couple of tamers I use in factions:

100 Tracking
100 Detect Hidden
100 Lore
100 Magery
90 Taming
90 Vet
90 Hiding
50 Stealing

These characters are used in the faction strongholds to track, detect, and hopefully kill stealthers. At the end of a guarding session, if there are no thieves handy or to help speed up the process of getting the sigils off the posts, the 50 stealing is bumped to 80 with jewelry or items. (Usually there are more than enough thieves around to take care of that.) If you run this template, you obviously need to use taming jewels and maybe add a bit of lore as well. The vet may be a little bit higher than it needs to be, but occasionally I like to use these tamers to kill harder stuff, and with no meditation skill and the kinda crummy suits they usually have on, healing with spells doesn't always work that well.

I've been experimenting with the above template a bit on a tamer I have on Sonoma. Before soulstoning on the detect hidden and working up the stealing, I got sidetracked playing around with herding and put on some stealthing and stealth-boosting items. Also have worked the real taming skill up to past GM, not sure how high I'll take it. Have been having a bit of fun experimenting with having a stealth tamer/herder. The GM tracking she's got hasn't come in too handy yet, so I may soulstone it off if I decide to leave her as a stealth tamer/herder.