• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Full Screen and Window mode help

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

First:
Respond with answers to these questions:

1.) Do you have the EA Land DL? If not, STOP! Go get it. Install it. Come back.

2.) Do you have full screen and want window mode - or - do you have window mode and want full screen.

3.) What is the current screen resolution for your monitor? (For this, goto the control panel/display/settings)

4.) Do you have a standard monitor or a wide screen? If you don't know the difference then it's standard.

6.) What is your level of computer expertise? None, A little, Expert?

I will try to help you if I can - understand that not all systems handle windows in the same way, and Vista is NOT something I am familiar with, so if you have Vista, what I tell you MAY not work.
But we'll try.

G

I have the Ea Land. . . and i want the full screen made. and im on a laptop. What do I do?

D

DG_Tabitha

1.) Yes
2.) I have windowed but want full screen
3.) 1280x800
4.) Standard
5.) A little

G

<blockquote><hr>

First:

<font color="red"> Yes I have the EA download </font>

2.) Do you have full screen and want window mode - or - do you have window mode and want full screen.

<font color="red"> I have windowed but want my FULL SCREEN back </font>

3.) What is the current screen resolution for your monitor? (For this, goto the control panel/display/settings)

<font color="red"> 1680x1050</font>

4.) Do you have a standard monitor or a wide screen? If you don't know the difference then it's standard.

<font color="red"> widescreen </font>

<font color="red">computer savvy
</font>

<font color="red">Running Windows XP on a Dell laptop</font>

I will try to help you if I can - understand that not all systems handle windows in the same way, and Vista is NOT something I am familiar with, so if you have Vista, what I tell you MAY not work.
But we'll try.

<font color="red"> I've tried altering the target link to -w -r800×600, with no success. I've tried changing my screen resolution to 800x600, but I end up with a disaster of gigantic icons scattered all over my desktop. Not to mention the fact that I 'see' my bloated desktop, even though I 'hear' the sounds of TSO running, and my mouse 'acts' as if it's in TSO. haha! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

G

<blockquote><hr>

1.) Yes
2.) I have windowed but want full screen
3.) 1280x800
4.) Standard
5.) A little

[/ QUOTE ]

At this time there does not appear to be a way to force full screen mode for EA Land at resolutions above 1024x768.

However, setting your monitor at that res should have the proper result.
This will affect your desktop and some web pages, but not terribly so. It's up to you if you want to do that. As an aside - changing res in Control Panel before and after playing is annoying but not difficult.
NOTE: Yes, I know that it could be done with TSO (before the EA Land DL).
That should tell us something - perhaps there is something in the patch that cancels out the res switch. The devs should look at that.

EDIT: Using a monitor resolution of 1152x864 results in a very large window that may suit you.

I

imported_Raevyn_baby

Well this completely sucks !! I played in windows mode for everything for a long time..and today i log in, and can only play full screen...i have the -w in all my shortcuts...what gives?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

First:

<font color="red"> Yes I have the EA download </font>

<font color="red"> I have windowed but want my FULL SCREEN back </font>

<font color="red"> 1680x1050</font>

<font color="red"> widescreen </font>

<font color="red">computer savvy
</font>

<font color="red">Running Windows XP on a Dell laptop</font>

But we'll try.

<font color="red"> I've tried altering the target link to -w -r800×600, with no success. I've tried changing my screen resolution to 800x600, but I end up with a disaster of gigantic icons scattered all over my desktop. Not to mention the fact that I 'see' my bloated desktop, even though I 'hear' the sounds of TSO running, and my mouse 'acts' as if it's in TSO. haha! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
See the above response.
Wide screen monitors are a particular problem for this game (it is very old as software goes).
I run mine in 1680x1050 and the resulting window is the size of a standard 17" monitor. If you absolutely, positively MUST have full screen, you must set your monitor to no more than 1280x720. (1280x768 gives a truer proportion to the screen but is still a window, albeit a very large one that may or may not be satisfactory to you).
You can play with the resolution settings (adjusting upwards) until you find a compromise, or simply change your settings before and after playing.
Sorry, that's the best I can do at this time.

As I said above, there appears to be something in the launch code that defeats the command line res switch.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well this completely sucks !! I played in windows mode for everything for a long time..and today i log in, and can only play full screen...i have the -w in all my shortcuts...what gives?

[/ QUOTE ]
Very sorry, but I can't find any 'settings' information in your reply.

C'mon! Read the original post!

G

Mines fine, but I do want to say thanks a million for helping everyone Donavan!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Mines fine, but I do want to say thanks a million for helping everyone Donavan!

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks.
But judging from the response, everone must have sorted out their problems already. Ya think?

C

Cayenne1

Donovan, if people are like me, they're adjusting to the new screen, either windows or fullscreen.....but I still don't like the smaller size on Window with my Dell XPS 14" screen.

I'll download the EA version and give the full screen a shot as per your directions.

Thanks for your help here!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Donovan, if people are like me, they're adjusting to the new screen, either windows or fullscreen.....but I still don't like the smaller size on Window with my Dell XPS 14" screen.

I'll download the EA version and give the full screen a shot as per your directions.

[/ QUOTE ]
14" screen? Really?

I have a watch bigger than that.

j/k

No, really - I do.

C

Cayenne1

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
14" screen? Really?

I have a watch bigger than that.

j/k

No, really - I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, for sure! So you can see why I want fullscreen (even if my 14" is widescreen). This laptop is great for travelling, though.

I

imported_Spacey

When I install EALand do I have to delete TSO files first?

G

<blockquote><hr>

When I install EALand do I have to delete TSO files first?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. The EA Land files will install to a different directory. Make sure the install goes right and the game launches and runs properly before deleting the old files.
Or, if you want, don't delete them at all - you can just keep them for souvenirs.

G

<font color="purple">Yes. </font>
<font color="purple">I have full screen &amp; want windowed mode back. </font>
<font color="purple"> 1024x768 </font>
<font color="purple">Standard </font>
<font color="purple">I would say I'm brighter than your average bear with computers.
i.e., I can follow directions just fine.

PS - As an additional note, the EA dll put 2 icons on my desktop, the EA-Land and the EA-Land Window. Prior to this update, I went to the TSO Client in the EA program file &amp; made a shortcut to it on my desktop &amp; called it Second EA Land Window, for my second screen/acct. Havent tried the second window yet since this update.
After this update, on the EA-Land Window icon, I went to the properties/target and put " -w -r800×600" at the end. Now when I log in I still get a Big Screen that fills up my whole desktop, but the login screen is reall teeny tiny up in the left hand corner. But then after logging in, it fills my whole computer screen again. idk
Any advice Doc? *hehe*

Oh, yeah, I'm running XP on a standard 17 in monitor.</font>

Z

Zsazsa Zee

I have the same problem as Cathy Tamar. I too have added the -r800-600...but keep getting full screen. If u can help Donovan (or anyone else) I would really appreciate it.
thank u

G

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="purple">Yes. </font>
<font color="purple">I have full screen &amp; want windowed mode back. </font>
<font color="purple"> 1024x768 </font>
<font color="purple">Standard </font>
<font color="purple">I would say I'm brighter than your average bear with computers.
i.e., I can follow directions just fine.

PS - As an additional note, the EA dll put 2 icons on my desktop, the EA-Land and the EA-Land Window. Prior to this update, I went to the TSO Client in the EA program file &amp; made a shortcut to it on my desktop &amp; called it Second EA Land Window, for my second screen/acct. Havent tried the second window yet since this update.
After this update, on the EA-Land Window icon, I went to the properties/target and put " -w -r800×600" at the end. Now when I log in I still get a Big Screen that fills up my whole desktop, but the login screen is reall teeny tiny up in the left hand corner. But then after logging in, it fills my whole computer screen again. idk
Any advice Doc? *hehe*

Oh, yeah, I'm running XP on a standard 17 in monitor.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Your edit -w -r800×600 is incorrect.
It should be -r800x600 -w
That is - (space, dash, 800x600, space, dash, w)

OPTION:
Add the 'EA only' switch to your client shortcut to see only your EA sims: "-CSCity:EA Land"

The result should look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EALand\TSOClient\TSOClient.exe" "-CSCity:EA Land" -r800x600 -w
Note the space between the second and third quotation marks.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have the same problem as Cathy Tamar. I too have added the -r800-600...but keep getting full screen. If u can help Donovan (or anyone else) I would really appreciate it.
thank u

[/ QUOTE ]
Noted - the above solution should work for you too.

G

<font color="purple">Yay! *hugs Donovan* Thank you! I won't be able to test this until tomorrow, got to go to work. But, yeah, I'll make the change &amp; try it. Thank you sososososoooo much!
</font>

G

<font color="purple">GASP!!!!! I just realized after re-reading this, what this means!! Ok, this time Im not just hugging you, this is a Flying Hug! WoOt!!! I always had to open my accts in a certain order or else I couldnt see my EA sims on the second acct. You kick ass Donovan, I dont care what Polly said!
(hahaha, I am soo kidding, she didn't say anything, just seeing if she's reading or not, lol) </font>

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="purple">GASP!!!!! I just realized after re-reading this, what this means!! Ok, this time Im not just hugging you, this is a Flying Hug! WoOt!!! I always had to open my accts in a certain order or else I couldnt see my EA sims on the second acct. You kick ass Donovan, I dont care what Polly said!
(hahaha, I am soo kidding, she didn't say anything, just seeing if she's reading or not, lol) </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Thanks for explaining that one to me Cathy. First time I read it, I decided I didn't want to ask any questions.

G

Ahem !! I said no such thing. I actually said he has a really cute .... oh nvm

No dipkisses for you for the month of February missy !

And btw, thank you Donavan for helping everyone like this, you're an absolute star

Polly

G

<font color="purple">Lol, you know I lurves you Polly! </font>

P

Purdy

Your edit -w -r800×600 is incorrect.
It should be -r800x600 -w
That is - (space, dash, 800x600, space, dash, w)

OPTION:
Add the 'EA only' switch to your client shortcut to see only your EA sims: "-CSCity:EA Land"

The result should look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EALand\TSOClient\TSOClient.exe" "-CSCity:EA Land" -r800x600 -w
Note the space between the second and third quotation marks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like windows mode and I added the -r thing and I kept getting the whole screen filled. What I forget to do was to hit apply. LOL I kept hitting OK after I made the changes and it didn't work.

G

I have posted detailed info on this subject here .

This thread can now be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.