• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Frostwood locations

C

Charleigh

Okay in my quest for my gypsy headress i've been lumberjacking for weeks and i've noticed that on the rare occasions that i find a frostwood spot and mark it, when i return a few days later it has turned into oak!

Once i have marked it, i return to that location every few hours and it always has frostwood, then suddenly when i go to chop there it has changed.

Is this a bug or are these locations supposed to change, ( oh how i miss the profession forums!:sad4:)

ejpeters

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The locations change now. You have to chop around and good luck finding a frostwood tree now.

C

Charleigh

Thanks a lot for the speedy reply :) Ah well i guess i'll just have to drain the spot till it changes!

A

Azazel of LA

I have been back in UO for months now and I havent been able to get any frostwood from chopping trees (and Ive done alot) , all my frostwood I got from IDOCs. Thats one of the worse changes I have ever seen (still not worse then bags of sending though)

L

Lore Master

hi i have not lumber jacked since they did they changed the special wood locations and a stranger told that it is completely random now he told me that any tree can give any type of wood now so i took him at his word since i haven't tried lumber jacking since those changes. he does have a vendor and he sells all types of wood after reading this topic and all the replys it sounds like he was lieing to me from what i gather for greedy reasons. i have a few questions now does this me that i have to find a specific tree that gives frost wood now? considering that it seems that i was decieved how many differnt woods do each trees give? i know regular wood is universal for all trees but how many other types of wood do each tree give since they are not random like i was told please any info would help i plan on lumber jacking again after this event thank you

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hi i have not lumber jacked since they did they changed the special wood locations and a stranger told that it is completely random now he told me that any tree can give any type of wood now so i took him at his word since i haven't tried lumber jacking since those changes. he does have a vendor and he sells all types of wood after reading this topic and all the replys it sounds like he was lieing to me from what i gather for greedy reasons. i have a few questions now does this me that i have to find a specific tree that gives frost wood now? considering that it seems that i was decieved how many differnt woods do each trees give? i know regular wood is universal for all trees but how many other types of wood do each tree give since they are not random like i was told please any info would help i plan on lumber jacking again after this event thank you

First off, punctuation and capitalization are your friend.

Second, wood types are indeed randomly spawned now. You weren't being deceived.

The way it works is that any tree can produce any kind of wood type now. They aren't static anymore meaning they change. When they change the tree has a chance to respawn any of the wood types. That chance is based upon the rarity of that wood type. Oak being most common and Frostwood being the most rare.

Check this page at uo.com for more exact details on wood type rarity.

Five on Friday 8-10-07

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's possible to chop for weeks and never see frostwood now.

I chopped enough wood to go from 0 points to 550,000 points on the library collection to get a talisman, donating everything from Oak to Heartwood. It took me almost 2 weeks during which time I didn't chop a single Frostwood board.

I sincerely hope that at some point the developers will re-examine this change. As predicted by some people, the rarer woods and, to a lesser extent, metals are getting harder and harder to find. Many mining areas become totally iron for days at a time. Woods become all plain and oak with a smattering of ash. I sincerely doubt that the overall percentage of Valorite and Frostwood currently spawning on the shards is a fraction of what it was when this change was introduced.

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sincerely hope that at some point the developers will re-examine this change. As predicted by some people, the rarer woods and, to a lesser extent, metals are getting harder and harder to find. Many mining areas become totally iron for days at a time. Woods become all plain and oak with a smattering of ash. I sincerely doubt that the overall percentage of Valorite and Frostwood currently spawning on the shards is a fraction of what it was when this change was introduced.
Another band aide approach to combat scripters by our dev team, all it did was hurt & p!$$ off the average player. I haven't LJ'd or mined either. If I do mine its for a shad ele for training & thats about it. Glad I kept all my ores instead of selling, least if I need some I have it. Pitty someone needing enough for a large plate bod who has none... It'll be months before he could dig enough to fill the bod. One poor change IMO

Z

Zodiac19

Give up now, they do not exist and never have. It's all a figment of your imagination. I've had a GM LJ for much longer than there have been different kinds of wood and have never found one stick of frostwood. But I did claim 227 frostwood boards from an IDOC once.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For mining the problem is not as huge, as there are two instruments leveling up the ore (prospectors tool and gargoyles pickaxe). Nothing similar to wood.
Also for wood the areas seem to be larger and less regular than the mining area.
*Salute*
Olahorand

AyaraBlue

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The changes to lumberjacking and mining are a nuisance. However, if you´re lucky and patient you might be able to get a "personal frostwood tree". I decided for two trees just outside my house and had my crafter go chopping regularly. It took about a day before the first tree turned frostwood, about a day longer for the other. I managed to get about 2k frost boards before they turned back to normal again. This procedure won´t get anyone a headdress, but might be a small consolation if you don´t need large quantities. (For the time being my two "chosen" trees are producing heartwood - hopefully, I haven´t chopped and checked on them today).